CrowdSupport®
MrOJay
Level 2: Rookie

Cable internet unable to connect to some devices

Hi 
Ive recently just transferred from ADSL internet to cable internet. After 3 days of not having internet due to telstra having to cancel the adsl to send me out a cable adapter I've finally been able to get the cable internet working. I currently have a Thomson tg782t modem which is quiet old that is hooked up with the nether cable adapter telstra has sent me. The main issue that i am experiencing right now is that not all my devices can connect to the new cable internet. I have 2 laptops in my household that can connect without any problem but my smart tv, mobile phone and playstation 4 are unable connect through wifi and lan cable. Ive tried everything from reseting the router/adapter and all my devices to forgetting the wifi on the devices and trying to connect again. Im finding it so strange that my laptops can connect but my other devices can not!? could this be due to my old thomson modem being used for this new cable technology or could there be some other internal network issue? 

Please help Smiley Sad

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
6 REPLIES 6
Level 24: Supreme Being

Re: Cable internet unable to connect to some devices

Is your Mobile phone and Smart TV a Samsung device?

MrOJay

My mobile is a samsung s9 and my tv is a panasonic but I'm surprised its not connecting to my ps4

Do the devices connect to the TG782t but don't have internet access? There has been a problem with Samsung devices being able to connect but not having internet access. The devices were able to access internet by setting a custom DNS(8.8.8.8) in there network settings.

To test this out on the Samsung S9 long tap on the WiFi SSID and select Manage network.
Place tick next to advanced option.
Change IP settings to static.
Enter 8.8.8.8 in DNS 1 and 8.8.4.4 in DNS 2.
Tap on save.

They didn't send you a new modem with the cable adapter?
I am a Premium Services Support Consultant (Telstra Platinum, Telstra Smart Home, Locator/Device Locator and Neto POS). However, I am not an official representative on CrowdSupport.

IT Helpdesk and Technicial Support by Telstra Platinum
Smart Home Automation & Monitoring from Telstra
Helping Australians Find the Things that Matter Most with Telstra Locator
Run a Modern Retail Business with Neto Point of Sale
MrOJay

Yes my devices can see the wifi itself but cannot connect for some reason. Just tried changing the ip settings and dns but did not work
MrOJay

Initially no they did not. They just sent me the adapter and told me to hook it up and everything would be good but after 2 days of stress and no internet and multiple calls, they have now dispatched a new telstra smart modem so I'm praying that fixes the problem

Telstra Smart Modem

Plug in and connect in minutes. Smart.

Find out more
Find out more about the Telstra 24x7 App ×
Manage your services and take advantage of offers while you’re out and about with the Telstra 24x7® App Find out more
Earn points on our new rewards program and enjoy tier benefits like discounted movie tickets and moreFind out more

Need a hand or want to share your expertise?
Register for CrowdSupport and get involved

Register now