CrowdSupport®
mattf
Level 2: Rookie

Cable present at house but not available according to Telstra database

Answered

Hi everyone,

I'm reaching out here in the hopes of finding someone who can help resolve this issue.  I recently moved to a new home, where the previous owner told me they were using Telstra cable for their internet connection.  This is backed up by the Telstra branded coaxial point in the study, along with the Telstra grey box on the side of the house with black coaxial cables going into the ground.  Unfortunately, the Telstra database says there is no availability, and even the serviceability team came back and said it was not possible, but I'm yet to be convinced.  The physical reality has to trump what the database says.

Here are the other data points that I have:

1. Other houses in my street are connected to cable, and show as available online (my street is a small cul-de-sac).
  2. When I go the foxtel website and sign up, it says I have availability AND can do a self install.

At present, my conversation with bigpond sales/support is that I need a commercial quote to move things forward.  I'm happy to do this, but it seems like it will take weeks to get this done.  Surely it should be more simple than this?  Can somebody can help resolve this database error?  I'm more than happy to plug a modem in if I can get one, and that would be cheaper for Telstra than getting a technician out to look at the cable that is already there.

Please Help!

Thanks in advance Smiley Happy

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
mattf
Accepted Solution

Re: Cable present at house but not available according to Telstra database

This may be of help to anyone else who gets in this situation.

I have just spoken to the guy who does commercial quotes.  He found that my house was already connected up to the network, but for some reason it was listed as a 'satellite service' property, so it would never show under the serviceability checks (both internal and external).   He is moving it back to being listed as a cable serviced property, and once that has propagated through the system, my order can proceed.

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
4 REPLIES 4
mattf
Accepted Solution

This may be of help to anyone else who gets in this situation.

I have just spoken to the guy who does commercial quotes.  He found that my house was already connected up to the network, but for some reason it was listed as a 'satellite service' property, so it would never show under the serviceability checks (both internal and external).   He is moving it back to being listed as a cable serviced property, and once that has propagated through the system, my order can proceed.

evooo
Level 1: Cadet

It is good to know that this is possible. Could you provide details as to how you went about doing this. I am in the same boat and need help but I don't know a guy who can do this for me and not sure who to call after speaking to the sales people.

Highlighted
mattf

The commercial quote is done by Telstra (i.e. 'the guy' is a Telstra employee).  When you speak to sales tell them you want to get a commercial quote for cable access to your property, and they should be able to make it happen.

evooo
Level 1: Cadet

That's great Matt. Thanks for that. I'll give it a try tomorrow and see how I go.

Telstra Smart Modem

Plug in and connect in minutes. Smart.

Find out more
Find out more about the Telstra 24x7 App ×
Manage your services and take advantage of offers while you’re out and about with the Telstra 24x7® App Find out more
Earn points on our new rewards program and enjoy tier benefits like discounted movie tickets and moreFind out more

Need a hand or want to share your expertise?
Register for CrowdSupport and get involved

Register now