Highlighted
TAD
Level 1: Cadet

Can I bring my own modem or do I have to use the T-Gateway modem provided by Telstra?

Answered

If I would like to conect to NBN service, can I bring my own modem or do I have to use the T-Gateway modem provided by Telstra?

Thanks very much for any response!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Level 23: Superhero
Accepted Solution

Re: Can I bring my own modem or do I have to use the T-Gateway modem provided by Telstra?

Tad, you can BYO, BUT, make sure that the modem you want to use actually is NBN ready.

There are a number of new high-speed and efficient modem/routers available that are certified NBN ready such as the TP Link Archer C7 and the D7 models. Well priced and proving to be really efficient.

sig

If I have provided an answer, or posed a question that helps or interests you, your KUDOS vote would be appreciated Image and video hosting by TinyPic
If I or anyone has provided a solution, you'll help others if you mark our answer as the Solution The Ghoust Writers: STUDYING ABROAD

NB: I am NOT a Telstra employee, just another customer like you.

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
4 REPLIES 4
koopz
Level 3: Gumshoe

Re: Can I bring my own modem or do I have to use the T-Gateway modem provided by Telstra?

you can use any router, though you'll require a TG797 or a TG799 if you wish to use Telstra for your home phone line as well.

please note that if you have a security system or a medi-alert system you'll need to answer *yes* when your Telstra rep asks you so they can arrange your Telstra phone line to run out of the NBN equipment instead.  The phone line can then run out of the white NBN box instead of the Telstra 797/799 gateway so that your phone will still work in the event of a power blackout.

Level 23: Superhero
Accepted Solution

Tad, you can BYO, BUT, make sure that the modem you want to use actually is NBN ready.

There are a number of new high-speed and efficient modem/routers available that are certified NBN ready such as the TP Link Archer C7 and the D7 models. Well priced and proving to be really efficient.

sig

If I have provided an answer, or posed a question that helps or interests you, your KUDOS vote would be appreciated Image and video hosting by TinyPic
If I or anyone has provided a solution, you'll help others if you mark our answer as the Solution The Ghoust Writers: STUDYING ABROAD

NB: I am NOT a Telstra employee, just another customer like you.
TAD

Thanks koopz and DEANJA for the reply. You guys are the cham. Smiley Happy

TechnoNana

Thanks for that. My Modem is made by NETGEAR and it is NBN ready. I just need to enter the user name and password to proceed

Telstra Smart Modem

Plug in and connect in minutes. Smart.

Find out more
Find out more about the Telstra 24x7 App ×
Manage your services and take advantage of offers while you’re out and about with the Telstra 24x7® App Download now
Earn points on our new rewards program and enjoy tier benefits like discounted movie tickets and moreFind out more

Need a hand or want to share your expertise?
Register for CrowdSupport and get involved

Register now