CrowdSupport®
Highlighted
Level 1: Cadet

Can I buy the HTC 5G hub to access my Telstra Cable plan while travelling?

Answered

Hi, all.

I have an existing Telstra Cable Unlimited plan.  I'd like to be able to access my plan's data via a mobile device such as the HTC 5G hub while I'm travelling within Australia.  I'm unable to get "human" assistance over chat to answer the question because of COVID-19 related staffing issues.

Q1. Does anyone on the forum know if Telstra has done this thing (5G hub to remotely access Cable plan) before?

Q2. Were connectivity or authentication issues encountered?  Or *any* issues, really.

Q3. What d/l and u/l speeds were achievable?

I'm on the premium speed plan and get a solid 114Mbps all day, every day.  The 5G hub seems to be rated for 300Mbps but I don't think Telstra would give that rate if my current plan is limited to 120Mbps up/down.

Many thanks for whatever info or advice you can provide.  8)

G

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Level 24: Supreme Being
Accepted Solution

Re: Can I buy the HTC 5G hub to access my Telstra Cable plan while travelling?

Telstra only offers 100 GB for $75 and you have access to the 5G network were it is available. The speed you get will depend on your location.

https://www.telstra.com.au/internet/data-plans#

There are a lot of companies that offer a cheaper plan but they don't have the same coverage as Telstra. Even companies like boost which use the Telstra network don't have access to all the Telstra towers. 

View solution in original post

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
4 REPLIES 4
Highlighted

The short answer to your question is no. It would not be cost effective for Telstra to do this. It is more expensive to provide data over the mobile network than over the fixed network. 

Highlighted

Many thanks for your really prompt reply, cf4!  Much appreciated.

Ah, yes.  Didn't think of the $$$ angle from their perspective.  I appreciate I'd have to have a d/l limit too to match their max (100GB) plan.

Do you think they'd provide the data at 4G speeds though?  I ask because one of their competitors has uncapped speeds and 500GB on a $68 4G wireless bb plan.  I'm paying $99/mth.  My friend got 161Mbps d/l and 30+Mbps u/l this morning.  Didn't last for long though.  A few hours later he was only getting 30Mbps d/l ... same as what his u/l speed was earlier.

Highlighted
Accepted Solution

Telstra only offers 100 GB for $75 and you have access to the 5G network were it is available. The speed you get will depend on your location.

https://www.telstra.com.au/internet/data-plans#

There are a lot of companies that offer a cheaper plan but they don't have the same coverage as Telstra. Even companies like boost which use the Telstra network don't have access to all the Telstra towers. 

View solution in original post

Many thanks again, cf4!

Best regards

G

Set it & forget it

With direct debit there’s no need to give paying your bill another thought.

Avoid queuing up and never worry about late fees again.

Setup direct debit