CrowdSupport®
IB55
Level 2: Rookie

Can I connect a 5TB USB disk drive to a Telstra V7610 router?

Answered

We use a 5TB share drive on our network and this was directly connected to our Telstra ADSL modem. After being connected to the NBN our modem was replaced with the Telstra Gateway Pro V7610 router. It works just fine and the internet connection is great but the 5TB disk drive is not showing up under the File Sharing menu on the V7610 and so is not connected to the network. Is there a setting that needs to be updated or is there a size limit for USB connected drives with the V7610? I have test the drive and it works fine, also I tested the USB port on the V7610 With a smaller USB 32GB thumb drive and it works as expected. Any help would be appreciated.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
IB55
Accepted Solution

Re: Can I connect a 5TB USB disk drive to a Telstra V7610 router?

While waiting I have reset the old modem to factory defaults and reset it as you suggested and it now seems to be working correctly.  I can access the USB disk drive and the internet.  I will monitor it over the next couple of days and see how it all goes.  Thanks for your advice.

The modems are configured as you set out in your response.

View solution in original post

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
6 REPLIES 6
Level 24: Supreme Being

I don't think it is a setting problem if modem recognises a 32 GB flash drive. It could be a size limit. Some of the Telstra modems state 2TB size limit but I have been able to connect a 8 TB drive to these modems. It could also be the power provided by USB port is not sufficient to power the drive. You could try using a powered USB hub. Plug the hub into the modem's USB port and the drive into the USB hub.

If you can't get dri e to work connected to modem's usb drive you could use your old modem as a file server configured as an access point.

IB55

Thanks cf4, I will try your suggestion re: using the old modem as a file server.  As for the USB not having enough power this shouldn't be a problem as the disk itself is powered by being plugged into the main power supply, just loke the router itself.  I have a feeling it is a size limitation on the Telstra Gateway Pro router (a Netgear V7610) but I have been unable to source the technical specs to confirm.

To configure old modem as access point.

1. Change its IP address range so that it is within the same subset at Telstra Gateway Pro modem (192.168.15.xx) but has a different LAN IP address than that of the Telstra Gateway Pro Modem. (example could use 192.168.15.100).
  2. Disconnect and reconnect device configuring old modem and access old modem using its new address.
  3. Turn of DHCP in old modem.
  4. Connect LAN port of old modem to LAN port of Telstra Gateway Pro
  5. To limit WiFi  interference turn off WiFi in old modem.

With DHCP turned off will not be able to connect devices to old modem until step 3 is completed.

IB55

I have done all of this, but now i loose access to the internet.  I can connect to the hard drive, but for some reason I now can not connect to the internet.  Is there a step missing?

There is no step missing. Do you lose internet connection even when connected directly Telstra Gateway Pro?

Could you post the old modem's DHCP and LAN IP settings?

This is how modems should be connected.

NBN === (WAN/DSL) Gateway Pro (LAN) == (LAN) Old Modem (WAN/DSL) No connection

(USB Port)=====USB Drive

IB55
Accepted Solution

While waiting I have reset the old modem to factory defaults and reset it as you suggested and it now seems to be working correctly.  I can access the USB disk drive and the internet.  I will monitor it over the next couple of days and see how it all goes.  Thanks for your advice.

The modems are configured as you set out in your response.

View solution in original post

Set it & forget it

With direct debit there’s no need to give paying your bill another thought.

Avoid queuing up and never worry about late fees again.

Setup direct debit