Rimuru21
Level 1: Cadet

Can someone please tell me if DLM has been applied to my line

Answered

Hello everyone, I'm not sure if my speeds are what they should be as I don't know how the distance to the line affects speeds exactly. Though I'm sure something isn't right as the speeds I'm getting are pretty abysmal.

I'll post the line stats below, but note that when I actually download anything in Australia, or do speed tests I'll get 0.41mbps - 2mbps out of the 6 that's being shown. This is on going and even during the early mornings around 3am where there's likely no congestion of active users.

As for DLM from what I've seen it limits your line to around 6mbps and I just want to know if my line can achieve more than that speed if it means DLM has been applied or if i need to change speed profile, which I haven't altered since I signed up so it would be the default.

The speed test results above are down through a ethernet extender and not a direct line, the last time I did use a direct line I hadn't achieved much more though, at most 3mbps.

Line stats below -

DSL Status
Up
DSL Uptime
18days 23hours 14min 27sec
DSL Type
ADSL_2plus
DSL Mode
Interleaved
Maximum Line rate
0.99 Mbps 6.58 Mbps
Line Rate
0.99 Mbps 6.14 Mbps
Data Transferred
571.71 MBytes 782.87 MBytes
Output Power
12.1 dBm 19.1 dBm
Line Attenuation
35.5 dB 53.5 dB
Noise Margin
6.4 dB 5.8 dB

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Level 24: Supreme Being
Accepted Solution

Re: Can someone please tell me if DLM has been applied to my line

With FTTN the maximum line distance is much shorter. Most customers are within 1km of the NODE.  You might be lucky and have. NODE located a few hundred meters from your premises and be able to achieve 100 Mbps download.

Im am not sure if interleaving can be turned off. @343GuiltySpark  might know. There is something wrong when you are only getting a maximum of 2Mbps download and the link speed is 6 Mbps.

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
6 REPLIES 6

DLM has not been applied. If DLM had been applied the Noise margin would have been about 12.0 dB. 6 Mbps is the speed you would expect with a line attenuation of 53.5 dB. If a DLM had been applied it would have effected the link speed as well as the speed from a speed test.

Have you tested the speed from more than one device?
Rimuru21

I have tested quite a few devices yes, they all give similar results. Thank you for confirming that DLM has not been applied though.

Could I ask would it be worth changing to the line profile to something different even if there's a little bit more packet loss along the way I believe it would be worth it but I'm not sure how to do it.

NBN is due in my area within the next month but it's only going to be FTTN so I'm not sure if that will improve much of anything at all, is it copper to the node and fibreglass from the DSLAM < not sure if that's the correct term.

Again, thank you for the fast reply and assistance.

When I was on ADSL I was getting about 6 Mbps. On FTTN I am getting 38 Mbps. The speed will depend on how far in cable distance you are from the node. Most FTTN links have speeds greater than 25 Mbps.
I did notice that your line had interleaving turned on which will increase the lines latency. I don't know if you can or how you could get that turned off.
Rimuru21

Sorry for the late reply and thank you for your help so far cf4. Do you know if there's a chance interleaving could be turned off if I contact telstra's tech support? I'm just not sure the first person who answers the phone will understand what it is as the last house I was in did have DLM and they couldn't fathom what DLM was until a superior was put on the line.

That's awesome to hear about FTTN, but I'm pretty sure when FTTN is enabled in my area that my line distance would remain the same would it not? Hopefully the speeds are atleast above 25 like you have mentioned.
Accepted Solution

With FTTN the maximum line distance is much shorter. Most customers are within 1km of the NODE.  You might be lucky and have. NODE located a few hundred meters from your premises and be able to achieve 100 Mbps download.

Im am not sure if interleaving can be turned off. @343GuiltySpark  might know. There is something wrong when you are only getting a maximum of 2Mbps download and the link speed is 6 Mbps.

not sure if @343GuiltySpark would know but i definitely do Smiley Happy

Technically it could be turned off, but given your attenuation it is definitely not recommended to do so and I doubt you will find a tech who would both understand what it is and would actually change your line profile.

DLM is on everyones line that are using a standard profile connected to an ISAM, but only kicks in if something funky is detected on the line. In your case, its possible that it is based on your actual line rate (6.14mbps is one of DLM's tiers). That being said your line is only showing it is capable of 6.58 as it is.

I am a Premium Services Support Consultant (Telstra Platinum, Telstra Smart Home, Locator/Device Locator and Neto POS). However, I am not an official representative on CrowdSupport.

IT Helpdesk and Technicial Support by Telstra Platinum
Smart Home Automation & Monitoring from Telstra
Helping Australians Find the Things that Matter Most with Telstra Locator
Run a Modern Retail Business with Neto Point of Sale

Telstra Smart Modem

Plug in and connect in minutes. Smart.

Find out more
Find out more about the Telstra 24x7 App ×
Manage your services and take advantage of offers while you’re out and about with the Telstra 24x7® App Download now
Earn points on our new rewards program and enjoy tier benefits like discounted movie tickets and moreFind out more

Need a hand or want to share your expertise?
Register for CrowdSupport and get involved

Register now