CrowdSupport®
Yorty
Level 2: Rookie

Can't access a lot of sites, certificate errors

Answered

Have haven't been able to access a lot of sites the last couple of days, keep getting certificate errors using different browsers, same on the tablet which makes me think it's some sort of modem/telstra setting/fault. I have tried turning off the parental control, when I can log in and try it comes up with a "we couldn't process your request because of a network error", never had to try to turn off before as I could turn it off for an hour. This is really frustrating.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Yorty
Accepted Solution

Re: Can't access a lot of sites, certificate errors

Thanks Ozmoz, your suggestion worked and thanks to everyone else who helped.

View solution in original post

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
15 REPLIES 15
Level 24: Supreme Being

It is unlikely that parental controls would be causing the certificate errors. The most likely cause is the date and time on your device is incorrect. Check the date and time on your device also check the modem has the correct date and time.

Yorty

My computers date and time are correct and as far as I know the gateway/modem (

Technicolor DJN2130) date and time are also correct. Ironically I can't download the manual as my problem prevents it.

One thing you could try to check if it is a problem with NBN link is to force the modem into back up mode and seeing if the problem is still occurring. To force modem into backup mode disconnect WAN or DSL port and wait about 4 minutes for Online light to turn purple.

Level 21: Augmented

@Yorty That's weird. You need to make sure your OS has got all its latest updates. And clean your cookies/temp files with something like CCleaner.

Apart from what @cf4 has mentioned that causes that, I've only seen that also happen with out-of-date software and old OS versions.

Hot pineapple donut and a cuppa.... Mmmmmm
Yorty

It's happening on all devices, windows computer, andriod tablets and son's mac. I haven't tried back up mode yet. Will have time tomorrow as the modem is in the bedroom and wife is sleeping.

@Yorty wrote:

It's happening on all devices, windows computer, andriod tablets and son's mac. I haven't tried back up mode yet. Will have time tomorrow as the modem is in the bedroom and wife is sleeping.

@Yorty Ok, that is pointing towards your modem/connection.

Did you try what @cf4 has suggested to check that NBN link?

I'd also try a hard reset by inserting a paper-clip, or similar, in the little hole in the front of the modem.

Other than that, you will need to call support and possibly get a new modem sent to you?

Yorty

Back up mode works! Thanks supreme being. So what does that mean?

One thing you could try is turning of parental controls while on backup mode and see if it fixes the problem when using the normal link.

what type of internet connection do you have? I assumed it was NBN, if NBN what type of NBN.

Yorty

Turning off parental controls in backup mode didn't work. I've got NBN, wouldn't have a clue what type.

Alan_B
Level 11: Detective

Check the time and date on the device is correct, certificates are sensitive to the time/date being the same at both ends.

Have you reported fault to support? I can’t think of anything else you can do apart from resetting the modem and if you have NBN NTD also factory resetting the NBN NTD.

@Yorty This is a really an interesting conundrum. I have never heard of it before being related to the modem/connection.

I would love to be able to try another modem and see what happens. But not many people have a backup modem to test things.

Can you try this...

Go into your modem settings, Gateway settings and scroll down till you see Network Time Zone, untick that, then select something different, say Australia/Melbourne, then save and Reboot the modem (Not factory reset) then go back and change the setting to wherever you are E.G Australia/Sydney, save, reboot modem (Not factory reset)

BTW: Restart device is to the top right of that menu.

tz.jpg

Double check that the date/time matches with what it is meant to be.

Reboot your PC.

Now recheck the issue on the PC.

abthomp
Level 11: Detective

Had a similar issue over the weekend.

Had an outage on our FTTN NBN and after that when attempting to access any website I'd get a message stating that the site was unavailable due to issues with TLS Security settings.

On checking my modem settings I found that, all of a sudden, DMZ was enabled, DynDNS was enables and there was some upnp rule being applied.

Certainly nothing I changed because I've got no idea what any of that means so I wouldn't try and change any of it..

In any case resetting the modem put DMZ and DynDNS back into disabled, got rid of the upnp rule and web access was back to normal.

Weird!

Yorty
Accepted Solution

View solution in original post

@Yorty wrote:

@Yorty I'm happy its working for you :-)

It may have just worked by un-ticking the Network Time Zone and selecting your state, save, and reboot.

By going to long way it would help to remove any lingering data where this info is kept in modems config.

Its looking like there is a bug in the modems firmware?

Set it & forget it

With direct debit there’s no need to give paying your bill another thought.

Avoid queuing up and never worry about late fees again.

Setup direct debit
Find out more about the Telstra 24x7 App and direct debit ×

Avoid queueing up and never worry about late fees againSet up direct debit
Manage your services and take advantage of offers while you’re out and about with the Telstra 24x7® App Find out more

Need a hand or want to share your expertise?
Register for CrowdSupport and get involved

Register now