CrowdSupport®
Highlighted
MrDean
Level 1: Cadet

Can't connect error 651

Answered
Yesterday my net was slow so I was playing around with firewall and my antivirus network options. Not sure what I've done but now I can't connect.

I've disabled firewall, turned off antivirus, tried a new setup connection and am getting a 651 error.

This is using telstra's modem through Ethernet cable.
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Level 23: Superhero
Accepted Solution

Re: Can't connect error 651

Mr Dean, I personally know someone very close to me  who shares that monica too, only he prefers Sir Dean... Smiley Very Happy

Mate are you running windows/

If so take a look at the following link which has a comprehensive microsoft rundown on the problem: http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_7-networking/error-651-in-windows-7/6507741...

Signature.gif

If I have provided an answer, or posed a question that helps or interests you, your KUDOS vote would be appreciated Image and video hosting by TinyPic
If I or anyone has provided a solution, you'll help others if you mark our answer as the Solution The Ghoust Writers: STUDYING ABROAD

NB: I am NOT a Telstra employee, just another customer like you.

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
4 REPLIES 4
Accepted Solution

Mr Dean, I personally know someone very close to me  who shares that monica too, only he prefers Sir Dean... Smiley Very Happy

Mate are you running windows/

If so take a look at the following link which has a comprehensive microsoft rundown on the problem: http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_7-networking/error-651-in-windows-7/6507741...

Signature.gif

If I have provided an answer, or posed a question that helps or interests you, your KUDOS vote would be appreciated Image and video hosting by TinyPic
If I or anyone has provided a solution, you'll help others if you mark our answer as the Solution The Ghoust Writers: STUDYING ABROAD

MrDean

He must be a higher ranked Dean Smiley Very Happy
Thanks for the help.
Short story: it was my antivirus.

Long story:
I reset TPC, it didn't work. Tried following directions to do with rapppoe.sys I couldn't type in the dos code properly needed to copy paste. Can't with no net.

Checked internet again, it's working... This can't be right unless TPC reset worked. Reset PC again, internet isn't working again. Hmmmm... Disabled antivirus in system tray, working!

No idea what I've done in there so reinstalling anti virus

That's a bit of a worry, the anti-virus business. Just hope you haven't somehow downloaded a nasty onto your computer which is sidelining your antivirus program.

Try re installing it over the top of the current instalation. If that doesn't work uninstal and re-instal.

Could I also suggest if you don't already use it, get hold of Malwarebytes free eddition and give your computer a good scan for any Malware that normal firewals and virus prgrams don't pickup: https://www.malwarebytes.org/

Signature.gif

MrDean

Thanks again

Yeah I think what did was disabled a network through kaspersky that I needed. My net was running strangely slow that day, thought maybe there were ports open that shouldn't be. I'll be sure to grab that malware bytes.

Cheers

Telstra Smart Modem

Plug in and connect in minutes. Smart.

Find out more
Find out more about the Telstra 24x7 App ×
Manage your services and take advantage of offers while you’re out and about with the Telstra 24x7® App Find out more
Earn points on our new rewards program and enjoy tier benefits like discounted movie tickets and moreFind out more

Need a hand or want to share your expertise?
Register for CrowdSupport and get involved

Register now