CrowdSupport®
Highlighted
mongo18
Level 2: Rookie

Can't remote desktop on Telstra NBN

Answered

G'day all, I just moved back to Oz from the USA, got NBN hooked up through Telstra yesterday (no Optus here).

I'm attempting to work remotely by using Dell SonicWall VPN and Windows remote desktop to my work computer back in the USA. The VPN connects fine, but when I try to remote desktop it times out and tells me my work computer is not there. I also cannot ping it with the VPN enabled. If I remove the modem and connect my network cable directly to the NBN box on the wall it attempts to connect and then says "an internal error has occurred".

I have the TG797N V3, running Coral 15.1, but I'm a software guy, not a network guy. Although I do know enough to know that the poor girl I spoke to on the phone for 45 minutes this afternoon had no idea what I wanted and none of the 6 remote diagnostics she ran were ever going to expose the problem. I tried to use the very rudimentary port forwarding utility, but no matter what IP address I used it told me it wasn't on the network.

This is very frustrating, as I am able to go to my sister's house and use her Optus broadband to remote to work with zero issues, and I can guarantee that she hasn't tweaked any modem settings.

So I'm really hoping that there is someone out there who has had a similar issue and knows how to fix it, because I just landed in Australia and got a house set up, I haven't worked in a month, and I'm running out of money! I'd be more than happy to go to the good guys and buy another modem if someone is confident that that will work. Currently my plan is to get on the phone with Telstra early tomorrow morning and keep at them until I find somebody who knows about this problem and can help me fix it. If anyone out there can save me from that hell, I'll be eternally grateful!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Level 24: Supreme Being
Accepted Solution

Re: Can't remote desktop on Telstra NBN

You can use port forwarding on the Telstra network, it is just limited/restricted/useless on the Coral 15.1 firmware... they gut down the firmware to make it work with Telstra Air / FON and to, at least in theory, make it as simple as possible to run for the 'average' user...

I am pretty sure, unless you are on one of the plans with have Telstra Platinum or you opted into Telstra Platinum then it will be outside of the realms of the standard tech support to get it working... Telstra platinum would be the only ones who might be able to.... but another modem which isn't as dumbed down should do the job...
Helpful Links

Internet not working or outage in your area? - Check the Outage page for details and troubleshooting.
Help with an account issue? - LiveChat 24x7 support
View Usage, Bills and more - Check it out on MyAccount

Previously worked with a Telstra Partner however I am not a Telstra Employee, just a fellow customer helping when I can.

View solution in original post

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
10 REPLIES 10
Accepted Solution

You can use port forwarding on the Telstra network, it is just limited/restricted/useless on the Coral 15.1 firmware... they gut down the firmware to make it work with Telstra Air / FON and to, at least in theory, make it as simple as possible to run for the 'average' user...

I am pretty sure, unless you are on one of the plans with have Telstra Platinum or you opted into Telstra Platinum then it will be outside of the realms of the standard tech support to get it working... Telstra platinum would be the only ones who might be able to.... but another modem which isn't as dumbed down should do the job...
Helpful Links

Internet not working or outage in your area? - Check the Outage page for details and troubleshooting.

Previously worked with a Telstra Partner however I am not a Telstra Employee, just a fellow customer helping when I can.

View solution in original post

mongo18

So the modem most likely is the problem then? That's what I suspected, but I really wanted somebody who knows more than I do to agree! So I'm thinking something like this - http://www.thegoodguys.com.au/netgear-ac1200-wifi-modem-router-d6200-100aus

Can I just replace the Telstra modem or do I have to bridge them? As I said, I'm no expert on networking, but I can google with the best of them, as long as the info is out there. I'm definitely not on platinum service.

Thanks for your input, I'll head out and grab one first thing in the am. I really need this to work!

With NBN as long as the router is NBN ready, you can just plug the cable from the Uni-D point to the Ethernet in point on the router.

That one isn't listed as NBN ready, it does have ethernet in port so should be right to just plug it directly to the NTD and run it that way...

It is worth noting however, that i would suggest keeping the Telstra modem handy as they will only troubleshoot it not other modems under the standard tech support, and also depending on how the phone is set up, if it is running through the T-Gateway it might require you to set it up as a bridge setting to have the phone work...
Helpful Links

mongo18

The good guys don't seem to list any of their modems as NBN ready, though I admit I didn't check all of them. But I have seen it called internet ready by other sites based on a google search. I'm still re-learning my way around my home town after over 15 years gone, and the good guys is close so that's where I'm going!

Also - I don't have a phone, I don't know why they're so desperate to push land lines when nobody wants or needs them anymore. They gave me a phone number that I've already lost and I have no intention of ever plugging a phone into it.

Thanks for your help, I'll let you know how it goes tomorrow!

That is ok. I just thought I would mention the phone. There are still people who use them.

I did look quickly and can see a few other models are listed as NBN ready, but I can see other people here on CS have had the same model and have it working with NBN so should be good.
Helpful Links

mongo18

I ended up getting a Linksys XAC1200, supposedly a little better than netgear. Plugged it in and internet is working fine but I still have the same problem as before. I'm trying to forward port 3389 for RDP, but when I get to the IP address part, I try to put in the IP of the computer I want to connect to and it just keeps telling me that it's not in a valid subnet, because I use a VPN to connect.

I really wish I lived in an Optus neighbourhood right now. Smiley Frustrated

Update - I did what I probably should have done yesterday and brought my sister's optus modem to my house and plugged it in and I was able to RDP to work just fine, thereby proving that the problem is indeed in the routers. Now I just need to figure out what exactly the problem is and how to fix it. It probably still needs port forwarding, I just need to figure out what to use for IP address.

It did sound like a router issue. Pity the linksys was also having issues with forwarding correctly. Hopefully you are able to set it up to work right.
Helpful Links

mongo18

Gah, me too, Driving me nuts!

Currently on live chat with linksys support, put my pc in the DMZ and still can't connect or even ping with VPN connected. Grrr!

mongo18

I'm just replying for the sake of anyone who reads this thread in the future now. Turns out my problem is with Dell Sonicwall VPN client. Apparently it's just a generally cantankerous and difficult to get along with VPN client that has problems with NAT routers. So even though my Linksys XAC1200 had IPSEC, PPTP, and L2TP passthrough and all ports forwarded, it still wouldn't work.

So in the end I am just going to trade my sister the new linksys for her optus supplied modem/router, which I know works, because I've wasted 3 days trying to figure this out and I'm done, I just need it to work so I can get back to work.

mongo18

One more (hopefully) final update, just for the sake of anyone with the exact same problem I had. I have given up on sonicwall VPN and remote desktopcompletely. I don't know what the issue is, but over in the US everyone at the company used sonicwall VPN client to remote in to their PCs and never a hiccup, but for whatever reason it just doesn't want to work here.

The first time I logged in from my sister's optus connection, no problems, first time I brought her router here and used it, no problems, after she agreed to trade routers with me and I brought it back again it flatout refused to connect.

So I'm sorry to say I was unable to solve this one, I broke down and ordered a sonicwall TZ SOHO today so that I can set up a permanent VPN tunnel and finally get back to work.

Set it & forget it

With direct debit there’s no need to give paying your bill another thought.

Avoid queuing up and never worry about late fees again.

Setup direct debit