CrowdSupport®
Highlighted
AntonRast
Level 3: Gumshoe

Cannot log into Telstra Modem (by browsing to 10.0.0.138)

Answered

Hi, 

I have a problem - simple to describe, hard to find an answer to...

I have Telstra bigpond internet and their supplied modem (Technicolor TG587n v3). Everything has been working just fine for two or more years.

Now, I cannot log into the modem to edit settings. The network still works (wired and wireless) - all my devices are connected and can happily talk to each other, but when I try to go to 10.0.0.138 from a broswer, I get nothing!

I have tried to access 10.0.0.138 from a wireless device (laptop) and also a PC directely connected via ethernet cable to the modem - same result, I cannot access the page. I've tried turning it on and off again, no change. For instance, when trying from Safari, I get "Safari cannot open the page because the network connection was lost".

I really don't want to have to reset the router to factory as I have a bunch of custom configurations I'd hate to have to recreate.

Please help!!

Telstra 50/20 FTTC
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)
Accepted Solution

Re: Cannot log into Telstra Modem (by browsing to 10.0.0.138)

Hi AntonRast,

It sounds like you have personalised the modems IP address. I would suggest accessing the command prompt on your computer and typing: ipconfig /all

This will let you know the Gateway IP, and use that to access the modem interface.

There are other ways of accessing this info via the Network Connections, however the steps on how to get there will depend on the operating system that you have.

Hope this helps.

- Shelly

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

All moderation actions are supported by the CrowdSupport Community Guidelines

View solution in original post

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
8 REPLIES 8
chrodo
Level 7: Deputy Inspector

Have you tryed turning the modem off for a few minets then turning it back on ?

You may have to bite the bullet and do a factory reset, then after re doing all your setting save them to your hard drive so if you need to ever do a factory reset you can restore your settings.

Level 20: Director

Try this - http://10.0.0.138/cgi/b/dsl/dt/?be=0&l0=2&l1=0 and enter your details. If you are using the wifi on this modem you should be good to go.

If that fails unplug your power from the back of the modem for 2 mins and try again.

If that fails try a hard reset like the other user here reommended.

Hope that helps you out.

AntonRast

Thanks to both contributors, will try each in turn tonight and report back. Smiley Happy

Telstra 50/20 FTTC
AntonRast

Ok, so... neither of those two suggestions worked unfortunately.

I can still telnet into the modem, so I will try to get what settings I can from there - either manually by looking through the configurations and writing them down, or perhaps I can find a way to export the settings from a telnet session.

Seems like a factory reset is inevitable Smiley Sad

Telstra 50/20 FTTC
Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)
Accepted Solution

Hi AntonRast,

It sounds like you have personalised the modems IP address. I would suggest accessing the command prompt on your computer and typing: ipconfig /all

This will let you know the Gateway IP, and use that to access the modem interface.

There are other ways of accessing this info via the Network Connections, however the steps on how to get there will depend on the operating system that you have.

Hope this helps.

- Shelly

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

View solution in original post

9azalord9
Level 1: Cadet

i was having the same problems and this help thank you so much!!!!!

@Shelly_Telstra wrote:

Hi AntonRast,

Hope this helps.

- Shelly

Tracey1960
Level 1: Cadet

Modem reset

How do I reset my modem. I tried to change the password at 10.0.138 Thomson Gateway. Now its asking me for username and password and wont except what I think it is. If i reset modem will it go back to password on modem

Support Team
Support Team

Re: Modem reset

Hi Tracey, the information at https://crowdsupport.telstra.com.au/t5/General-Internet-KB/Step-by-step-guide-to-reconnecting-Telstr... advises how you can perform a factory reset on the modem. If this still doesn't work for you then our Tech teams on 133 933 would be best to contact for investigation and further assistance.

Set it & forget it

With direct debit there’s no need to give paying your bill another thought.

Avoid queuing up and never worry about late fees again.

Setup direct debit
Find out more about the Telstra 24x7 App and direct debit ×

Avoid queueing up and never worry about late fees againSet up direct debit
Manage your services and take advantage of offers while you’re out and about with the Telstra 24x7® App Find out more

Need a hand or want to share your expertise?
Register for CrowdSupport and get involved

Register now