CrowdSupport®
Highlighted
Level 2: Rookie

Cat 5e ethernet port on cable broadband

Hello, if anyone could help me that will be much appreciated.

I have a Cat 5e connection at my unit with the end connection in kitchen.

CAt 5e end connection

I have cable internet and a smart modem, which I have connected at living room through

Smart modem

Problem is I have a really bad wifi reception in media/study. I tried connecting modem directly to room's coax outlet, it didnt work. Nor does the ethernet port.

Coaxial and ethernet cable

Do anyone know what's the solution to these to get the ethernet port working?

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
11 REPLIES 11
Highlighted
Level 24: Supreme Being

Re: Cat 5e ethernet port on cable broadband

I can't read the writting on the patch panel in the kitchen but am my correct in assuming that you have used a normal Ethernet cable (Straight LAN cable not a crossover cable) to connect the Living room  Ethernet socket to the Study room Ethernet socket and in the Living room connected the cable adapters Ethernet port to the living rooms Ethernet socket and tried to connect WAN port of modem to Ethernet socket in study without success.

Have you tried testing the individual cables to check that they have been labled correctly. First try the Smart modem in the Kitchen with its WAN port connected to the Living rooms Ethernet socket. If that works themove smart modem to study, connect it to Ethernet port in study and then try patching the living room ethernet socket to the ethernet socket of the other rooms to check if labling is correct.

Highlighted

Kitchen end panel

As far as I know the labeling is correct. 

I tried connecting lounge/Living room ethernet socket directly from router and on kitchen panel ran from lounge to study. Still nothing 

Highlighted

To test the cable between Lounge and Kitchen have you tried between Lounge and kitchen.

Lounge Coax Socket------(Coax) Coax Adapter (Ethernet)-------Ethernet Socket Lounge

Kitchen  Lounge Ethernet Socket--------------(WAN) Telstra Smart Modem

Highlighted

Thanks for helping out. 

But there is a slight issue to your suggestion. Where the end panel is in kitchen, there is no power point to plug the modem. I guess the would have been pretty straight forward if that was feasible. 

Highlighted
Level 17: Bureau Chief

Hi - hope I have this right and happy to learn otherwise.

Your Cat 5e panel looks like a termination panel rather than a patch panel - yours does not appear to have IN and OUT section of sockets for connecting 'straight through wiring' patch leads - unless the RHS strip is the OUT.

It looks like an ADSL service was there before (Internet Port 1 and Phone Port 2), then Ports 3-7 hard wired to rooms. I would have expected with this panel, that the equipment to have been co-located with the panel perhaps with a long extension cord. Direct connections from the ADSL LAN ports to rooms via the panel with all straight through cable connections (all active Transmit/Receive crossovers are done within the individual device/modem LAN socket).

I can't tell from the photos, but I would have thought if you have been using a straight through cable for patching between these sockets e.g. Lounge to Media, then that would not work as the panel has no intelligence to swap the wiring termination order of the cable to make the 'U-Turn shape' cable appear as a straight through connection - are any of your connect cables labelled as 'cross over cable' and if so have you tried that one. 

Lounge [1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ] -------- Media [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ] - on panel, if you connect these two sockets with a straight through cable Lounge Wire 8 lands on Media Wire 1, Lounge Wire 1 lands on Media Wire 8 - so the data pairs 1,2,3,6 won't line up correctly. Wiring initiating from the Lounge socket needs to be continuous and in the same order as it leaves OUT and has to maintain that order when it is presented to Media IN socket - a crossover cable does that, so when it continues on to the Media room socket it appears as one continuous cable from the Lounge. The modem then does the auto sensing crossover internally in the LAN socket. 

PS: I am not a technician and willing to learn. 

Highlighted

A straight through cable should work. In the Kitchen Wire 1 of Lounge socket is connected to Wire 1 of Kitchen Media socket by a straight Ethernet cable and appears as wire 1 of the socket in the media room.

I suspect there is fault in the wiring or the panel has been wired for phones only and only has one pair terminated on the sockets.

Highlighted

Thanks for the detailed reply. It is hard without seeing it. There is no straight-through cable as you mention. Looks like it's going to get tough for a noob like me. I rang Telstra support and he had no idea and suggested to call-out technician for $240. I can just buy a decent wifi mesh for that money. lol 

Highlighted

Thanks for reaching out. I was thinking of installing Moca adapter and running the internet through the coax cable if the ethernet ports in walls won't work

Highlighted

@cf4  - I should have gone SpecSavers! Thanks for confirming the patch lead should be a straight through cable and of course you are correct. Good learning lessen for me - will commit that to my aging memory for future. I had another look at my collection of ancient patch leads collected over the years, 8 of the 10 are crossover type - must have come from previous old work network to network connections.

@Tamu1- you may have a spare straight through cable - the white LAN cables, Yellow-Yellow, Yellow-Red or Red-Red ones supplied by Telstra and other ISPs are all straight through cables - placing the plugs together with locking link upright, the wire colour order, left to right will be the same. So if you have a spare one and if you haven't done so yet, it may be worth to try connecting the Lounge socket to the Media room socket. 

Highlighted

I suspect the coaxial socket in the study is for a TV and you might have trouble getting the moca adapter to work. You would be much better using a WiFi booster for about the same price or WiFi extender or Ethernet power adapter which would be cheaper.

Another option is to get an electrician who is a qualified cabler to check the existing cabling. They would charge less than $240 to check the cabling but depending on how much work is involved in fixing it it might cost more.

I have found that my Telstra modem which is situated at front of house gives good coverage throughout the house even in rooms at back of house. You could try checking that the modem is broadcasting on both WiFi bands using a free WiFi analyser app installed on a Windows 10 PC lor an android device.

Highlighted

@MkrtichYeah I have already done that. It didnt work. 

@cf4yeah that's my concern if i want to commit on Moca adapters, as it might not work too. But yeah I bought a cheap wifi extender, it halves the bandwidth. No bandwidth loss wifi mesh might be a better investment. 

Set it & forget it

With direct debit there’s no need to give paying your bill another thought.

Avoid queuing up and never worry about late fees again.

Setup direct debit