CrowdSupport®
Docca
Level 2: Rookie

Certain pages not working when connected to NBN

Hi all,
I have ongoing issues trying to access facebook through my laptop (Chrome) and Google Pixel mobile (app). It is evident to me that it has to do with my NBN connection and when I change the connectin to my mobile provide either through hotspot or mobile data - no isssues.

I did some reading up on this and it looks as though other poele have had the same issue - I also have issues open twitter and instragram as well.

I am intrigued as to why some pages work find and others dont. There is nothing wrong with my connection nor my speeds - I just don;t get why these pages don't open while I am connected to my NBN connection.

Can anyone assist me in this area?

Cheers

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
11 REPLIES 11
Docca

Re: Certain pages not working when connected to NBN

Capture.JPGCapture2.JPGCapture3.JPG

Support Team
Support Team

Hi Docca,

Thanks for getting in touch in regard to the troubles you are having with trying to access some pages. It might be worth checking your security settings with your browser if you haven't already. 

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

All moderation actions are supported by the CrowdSupport Community Guidelines

Level 21: Augmented

@Docca One simple fix can be done by cleaning your browsers cookies and cache.

Hot pineapple donut and a cuppa.... Mmmmmm
Docca

Hi Renee,

Thank you for the suggestion. I have double checked our security settings and I don't think this is an issue. We didn't chage any settings when we moved from ADSL to NBN and the issues of access is present across 4 different devices (work laptop, home laptop, mobile 1 and mobile 2).

The problem also extends to Google Hangouts (via Gmail) and we've since discovered the same issues arises with linkedin.com.

One question though - I have turned off parental control in the Telstra Dashboard app. Via the "My Account" site - is there any settings where this can be reviewed?

It is getting very frustrating not being able to access these specific pages.

Docca

Hi Ozmoz,

As the issues is consistent across 4 devices - I don't thnk this is the issue. With that said, I gave it a go on one of the laptops and still no luck.

Cheers anyway.

Docca

Additional News:

Found this wording - 

To check your Telstra Broadband Protect settings, log in to My Account. Then select Telstra Broadband Protect under your Add-ons for your broadband service.

I managed to log into my account, found my way to the Manage Link and got this......

Capture.PNG

Capture2.PNG

Level 24: Supreme Being
Level 24: Supreme Being

If you have a Gen 2 Smart modem log into the modem (http://192.168.0.1 password is Telstra), go to advanced settings and then Local Network. From the DNS drop down menu select a non Telstra DNS and save settings. Do the same on the Local Network IPv6 tab. Disconnect and reconnect your device and check if you can access the sites that were blocked before.

@Docca wrote:

Hi Ozmoz,

As the issues is consistent across 4 devices - I don't thnk this is the issue. With that said, I gave it a go on one of the laptops and still no luck.

Cheers anyway.

@Docca Your right, affecting all devices points to the modem/connection.

I'm with @cf4 and you need to change your DNS server and see it that resolves itself.

Try either 8.8.8.8 (Google DNS) or 1.1.1.1 (Cloudffare DNS).

Also, A VPN would override Telstra Broadband Protect so you can also try that.

I know I had some pages issues ages ago and I called NBN support and had it turned off completely at their end, as turning it off via the web interface didn't do anything. But you will no longer be able to manage it via that interface if you do.

Docca

@Renee,

Doers Telstra support the suggestions offered by @cf4 & @Ozmoz ?

@Docca wrote:

@Renee,

Doers Telstra support the suggestions offered by @cf4 & @Ozmoz ?

@Docca You could look at it another way.

If Telstra didn't want customers to be able to change their DNS settings then that option wouldn't be available in their modems.

Besides, you can always put it back to default if it doesn't work, which hopefully it will.

Highlighted
Docca

@cf4 @Ozmoz 

We have lift off!!!!

Thank you for the suggestion guys, now working a treat!

Thank you again.

Telstra Smart Modem

Plug in and connect in minutes. Smart.

Find out more
Find out more about the Telstra 24x7 App ×
Manage your services and take advantage of offers while you’re out and about with the Telstra 24x7® App Find out more
Earn points on our new rewards program and enjoy tier benefits like discounted movie tickets and moreFind out more

Need a hand or want to share your expertise?
Register for CrowdSupport and get involved

Register now