CrowdSupport®
HontyJ
Level 1: Cadet

Change from ADSL to ADSL2 plus within Telstra

Why is it so hard to find the right person to ask!

I live in a regional area (according the Telstra world) but work in Brisbane… Buts that beside the point.

I have ADSL 1 (8mg supposedly, 6 is the best when no one else is home) and indications suggest that I have ADSL2 plus ports available in the area albeit limited amounts…  How can I get someone to investigate to this, then update my profile to enable a greater speed?

Working from home is painful, as a VPN adds considerable speed issues on an already low speed. Just cannot find anyway to move it along.

Sent email, made calls but to date haven’t had things come back!

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
1 REPLY 1
Level 25: The Singularity
Level 25: The Singularity

Re: Change from ADSL to ADSL2 plus within Telstra

Which exchange are you on?

Also, switching to ADSL2+ may not get you much greater speeds for a number of reasons (the increase in speed reducing in amount the further away from the exchange you are, congestion at the exchange may now allow any greater throughput than you are currently getting, line quality may not allow faster speeds, the list goes on).

I have even seen people get worse performance after switching from ADSL to ADSL2+. While this may seem counter-intuitive, it can happen. As for the VPN, which software are you using to connect (I realise that this is usualy governed by the company you work for)? I have found that Cisco is by far the worst on lower bandwidth systems, it doesn't seem to cope particularly well.

Never be afraid to back yourself when trying new things, just always make sure you have 3 escape routes if things go wrong.

Telstra Smart Modem

Plug in and connect in minutes. Smart.

Find out more
Find out more about the Telstra 24x7 App ×
Manage your services and take advantage of offers while you’re out and about with the Telstra 24x7® App Find out more
Earn points on our new rewards program and enjoy tier benefits like discounted movie tickets and moreFind out more

Need a hand or want to share your expertise?
Register for CrowdSupport and get involved

Register now