Richard3206
Level 1: Cadet

Changing your Wi-Fi Password (SSID & WPA)

Answered

I would like to set up a WiFi password different to my email or system password.  Is this possible?  I specificaly would like my WiFi to be accessed by an iPad, but I don't want them to be able to access my email or account details.

I have an ADSL account and the modem is Speedstream 6520.  At this stage, I haven't set up a password for WiFi (I don't think).  I connect automatically with a WEP key.

Thanks in anticipation, Richard 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Technical Support
Technical Support
Accepted Solution

Re: Changing your Wi-Fi Password (SSID & WPA)

Hi Richard.

WEP keys are a sequence of alphanumeric digits, the length of the key depends on the type of security mode you are using.  You mentioned you have a key that is 26 characters long.  That means your security mode setting probably shows WEP 128-bits.  The way this works means that if you change the key it has to be 26 characters long and must include numbers and letters.  If you do not conform exactly to these parameters when changing the key, this is possibly why you are getting the error message: "invalid configuration key".

If you want an easier password for using with your iPad you could try the following:
  • Go to 10.0.0.138
  • Click Gateway at the top right
  • Click Home Network on the left
  • Click Advanced Settings at the bottom of the page
  • Select Configure the Local SpeedStream Gateway Wireless Network
  • Click Begin Wireless Wizard
  • The Wireless name is listed under SSID
  • Select Next 
  • Set Security Mode to WPA-PSK TKIP.
  • Click Next.
  • Specify a Shared Key. This will be your new wireless network password and must consist of 8 or more digits containing letters and/or numbers. 
  • Set Group Key Interval to 30. 
  • Click Next.
  • Set Wireless Filter to Disable and Filter Mode to Allow.
  • Click Next. Do not change any of these settings
  • Click Next. Then click Finish to complete the wizard  

Restart your modem. Remember to wait 20 seconds between turning the modem off and on. 

Congratulations! You have successfully Setup WPA-PSK Security on your Speedstream modem Router.

If you have any other devices connected to the Wi-Fi network you will need to reconnect them to the Wi-Fi network using the new wireless network password you just set up.

Hope this helps.
-BenD

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

All moderation actions are supported by the CrowdSupport Community Guidelines

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
5 REPLIES
Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Hey Richard,

Your Wi-Fi password should be different details to your emails or system.  

You can check what your current password (and change if required) via these steps:

- Go to 10.0.0.138

- Click Gateway at the top right

- Click Home Network on the left

- Click Advanced Settings at the bottom of the page

- Select Configure the Local SpeedStream Gateway Wireless Network

Click Begin Wireless Wizard

- The Wireless name is listed under SSID

- Select Next x2

- Your password is listed under the Bit Key.

If you're wanting further security/flexibility with Wi-Fi it might be worth upgrading the modem you are using. The Speedstream is an older model that doesn't have the features a newer one will.

Brodie

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

Richard3206

Thank you for this.  I've been slack and only just now tried this.

I can follow to the last step, where you say the password is listed under the Bit Key.  What I have here is a 26 digit alphanumeric code.  I thought this was my WEP key, not a password.  I have tried to change this, but get an "invalid configuration key" message.

Can I change this to make it easier to remember when logging in with iPad, or do I have to use this code every time?

Richard

Technical Support
Technical Support
Accepted Solution

Hi Richard.

WEP keys are a sequence of alphanumeric digits, the length of the key depends on the type of security mode you are using.  You mentioned you have a key that is 26 characters long.  That means your security mode setting probably shows WEP 128-bits.  The way this works means that if you change the key it has to be 26 characters long and must include numbers and letters.  If you do not conform exactly to these parameters when changing the key, this is possibly why you are getting the error message: "invalid configuration key".

If you want an easier password for using with your iPad you could try the following:
  • Go to 10.0.0.138
  • Click Gateway at the top right
  • Click Home Network on the left
  • Click Advanced Settings at the bottom of the page
  • Select Configure the Local SpeedStream Gateway Wireless Network
  • Click Begin Wireless Wizard
  • The Wireless name is listed under SSID
  • Select Next 
  • Set Security Mode to WPA-PSK TKIP.
  • Click Next.
  • Specify a Shared Key. This will be your new wireless network password and must consist of 8 or more digits containing letters and/or numbers. 
  • Set Group Key Interval to 30. 
  • Click Next.
  • Set Wireless Filter to Disable and Filter Mode to Allow.
  • Click Next. Do not change any of these settings
  • Click Next. Then click Finish to complete the wizard  

Restart your modem. Remember to wait 20 seconds between turning the modem off and on. 

Congratulations! You have successfully Setup WPA-PSK Security on your Speedstream modem Router.

If you have any other devices connected to the Wi-Fi network you will need to reconnect them to the Wi-Fi network using the new wireless network password you just set up.

Hope this helps.
-BenD

swainey

hi just trying to connect my laptop to my computer wirless and we dont have our wpa2 password

Community Manager Community Manager
Community Manager

Check the bottom of your modem. Often the password is printed on a sticker on the underside. - Tim

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

Home Broadband Bundle

$99 Entertainment Bundle. Unlimited Data and Entertainment.

Find out more