Highlighted
Daisy379
Level 2: Rookie

Chromecast can't connect to new Telstra Gateway Max

Hi, I've just setup a new Telstra Gateway Max and connected 2 laptops, iPad and IPhone but I'm unable to connect my Chromecast.  The Chromecast was working perfectly with the old Thomsen TG782T router. When I try to setup I get the message that the Chromecast cannot connect to the network and to check my password (WP2) which is not the problem.  Each time it disables the laptop's wifi and I have to run the Telstra repair app.  I've read the other forum posts and tried to implement their solutions without success.

I've tried:

• Turning everything on and off several times.

• Tried setting up from iPad as well as laptop.

• Checked DLNA was enabled

• Adding the Chromecast MAC address to the Gateway's whitelist.  Will this mean that other devices eg printers will be unable to connect unless also added to the whitelist?

• Turning my laptop's firewalls off.

• Resetting the Chromecast to factory settings.  After this the Chromecast no longer appeared in the Gateway's 2.4 Ghz device list. Prior to this it was listed with its MAC address but no IP address.

Also, the laptop wifi now seems to be frequently dropping out.  Any help would be greatly appreciated.  Many thanks

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
6 REPLIES 6
TheWanderer38
Level 16: Secret Agent

Re: Chromecast can't connect to new Telstra Gateway Max

Hi,

Ok, lets keep it simple... turn everything off and then turn on only the router and one laptop.

Next, disable the wifi security for the moment and see if the laptop and chromecast will register.

Then slowly add another device etc...

If all goes well, enable wifi security, but only WPA and simple password.... if that works for everything, then try and increase security to WPA2.

I've had issues with multiple different device connection to the one router and some don't like WPA2!

Try that and see how far you get...

cheers

Daisy379

Hi TheWanderer38,

Thanks for taking the time to offer help.  I followed your suggestion- changed security to WEP, only 1 laptop connected, disabled all firewalls - without success.  I think it is a compatibility problem with the new gateway.  

The reset Chromecast is now listed under devices in the Gateway's web interface but no IP address has been allocated.

In the Chromecast setup app, the laptop finds the chromecast and attempts to connect, then displays a message "Cannot connect computer to the same network as chromecast.  This is required to complete setup."

TheWanderer38

Hi,

Lets forget the chromecast for a moment and see if we can get a laptop to work.

Do a factory reset on the router and then enter only your logon credentials

and see if the laptop will pick up an ip address

Can you send me this pls:

LAN status.jpg

Daisy379

Network settings

I haven't reset gateway yet.  My laptop is connected okay.  Still using WEP security though.

TheWanderer38

ok.. can you connect the laptop with a cable please and turn wifi on your laptop off.

Daisy379

Hi TheWanderer38, Thanks for your help. Whilst the laptop was connected to ethernet, I factory reset the Chromecast again and tried to install it with my iPad. Success at last. Not sure why or how but it works. Very happy.

Telstra Smart Modem

Plug in and connect in minutes. Smart.

Find out more
Find out more about the Telstra 24x7 App ×
Manage your services and take advantage of offers while you’re out and about with the Telstra 24x7® App Download now
Earn points on our new rewards program and enjoy tier benefits like discounted movie tickets and moreFind out more

Need a hand or want to share your expertise?
Register for CrowdSupport and get involved

Register now