Highlighted
zacthedog
Level 3: Gumshoe

Come On Telstra ... Enough Is Enough !!

Answered
I'm a long term customer, and a shareholder, of Telstra ... but there are times - like right now - when I get really annoyed that stuff happens and it takes so long to fix it.

Current problem is an unusable Internet. And I have contacted Telstra 3 times but no response.

My ADSL2+ service (always a joke, as the distance from exchange allows a very best download speed of 4Mbs ) is now only capable of email and a slow browse of Google. Forget my paid subscriptions to movie streaming (not HD) or even downloading an update to the computer. Best I can go over last few nights is 100kb download and several times faster upload!
I'm an Elec Engineer and have checked my modem/router many times (phone works fine) so my educated guess is something happened at the Dural and/or Glenorie Telstra Exchange - ok, things happen but surely your equipment will be showing my (and other) line synch is all over the place and when a 'synch able' port happens I (and others) get some Internet - when the sync speed is fast enough, and the sun / moon align, I (and others) get a reliable fast connection to the world.
Telstra - all I'm asking for is find the fault at the exchange and restore my service to what we learnt to accept as 'usable'
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)
Accepted Solution

Re: Come On Telstra ... Enough Is Enough !!

Hey zacthedog,

I'll be in contact shortly to see if we can get this working for you. 

Brodie

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

All moderation actions are supported by the CrowdSupport Community Guidelines

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
16 REPLIES 16
zacthedog

Telstra tech put a ' stability profile ' on my ADSL connection after seeing on the Telstra monitor that I had 21 dropouts the day before ... Internet was stable (slower, of course, with new profile) for 25 hours - and it's raining - then bang no Internet followed by an unstable 150kb connection - guess we won't be watching any streaming video tonight !!
Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Hey zacthedog,

Sounds like you've had a bit of a rough ride Smiley Sad

I'd like to look into this further and see if we can help. I will PM you a link to our online form.

Brodie

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

zacthedog

Hi Brodie,

Thanks for responding. I certainly would be pleased if Telstra experts could look at the exchange to the street/house cabling and equipment. Rain literally sends the ADSL service 'down the drain'.

As I type this I can see on Speedtest.net that a reasonably constant 2.66Mbs down and 0.66Mbs up is being achieved this morning. I never have any other home devices 'online' when testing the speed. If you want to see the full test result, this is the link... http://speedtest.net/result/2727742109.png

Until this latest round of problems started (about 10 days ago) the Ping to Telstra Sydney server was almost always 21ms - now it is more than 32ms - and I did achieve a fairly constant 3.5mbs download speed at most times of the day. Has there been a change in bandwidth allocations or customer priorities since, at about the same time,  the Blacktown area was connected to the NBN?

Cheers,

Greg

Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Hey Greg,

It would be hard to say with absolute certainty until we receive further info from the form link i've sent you. If you fill it in, we can investigate for you and let you know whats happening Smiley Happy

Brodie

zacthedog

Maybe just good fortune or maybe Telstra techs have already improved my connection to the the internet --- I havent yet had any direct contact from Telstra ---- however tonight is second night in a row where we could reliabably connect at 2.6mb down and 0.66mb up --- allowing for some entertainment via iTunes downloads.

My problem with Telstra (or if it was any other company who owns and maintains the 'pipelines') is they offer a performanc/price service that is not being achieved. Say it was Sydney Water and their main supply pipe to my suburb was of inadequate diameter to allow the volume of water required by their customers. Or Origin Energy street infrastructure could only supply 500kw and the street peak demand is 800kw ... etc. Simple physics/economics - an adequate size conduit is required to supply the service you offer and charge for.

arkon

here is the simple physics/economics

you are on a crappy piece of thin copper wire designed in the 1920s , deployed in the 1960s and ment for analog voice calls

as a dodgy work around someone came up with dsl to get some form of digital data service 

its going through dirt , tree roots , leaking water , under voltage lines , gas pipes , under roads with large vehicles

the econmics are ripping up this ancient network will cost unbelievable amounts of money and no company is crazy enogh to do it and the only government crazy enough will get kicked out shortly leaving the copper in place

most likely problem

line fault somewhere , possibly open pit letting in water or broken conduit . get bpts to send a field tech check from port to network boundary . possibly something on your end but probably not

it wont fix itself , they wont fix it remotely . its not congestion or "size of the conduit" if your modem drops 20 times a day , your conduit is broken somewhere

zacthedog

Hi,

Thanks for your response.

Technology has come a long way since the 1920 - 1960's when copper pairs were installed throughout the country.

I cant blame anyone for trying to maximise the existing infrastucture. For many Australians its all they will have for many more years to come.

Where I live we will not see major cost improvements, like fibre to the home, in my lifetime. Even though, like many, I try and run a home-based consultancy business where fast Internet is very important.

As an 'old' electronics engineer, I can assure you whatever pipe is available to feed my local exchange and the one supplying the feed etc etc will be short of capacity as more and more users attempt to get the data feeds they want (contention). In my area the polite and helpful Telstra CrowdSupport person (Brodie) tells me the Glenorie exchange is not congested and I should have a constant and reliable Internet connection - with the various laws of Physics dictating what I can reasonably expect at the distance I am from the exchange ( 5 - 6km of copper).

You are probably corrrect about possible open pit and/or broken conduit, poor line pair joints, somewhere between me and the exchange - hopefully they will find it and fix.

My earlier question stands - what happened several weeks ago when Blacktown went 'online' with the NBN? New data rate priorities? Additional contention tolerance for us poor ADSL users? Saturn and the Moon aligning? Who knows.....

Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Thanks for the update Zac - Brodie will be back on Monday and she'll be happy to check in with you in Business Hours. 

How has your connection been in the last few hours since you send this post? 

zacthedog

Just reporting my ADSL connection has been stable for past couple of days and achieving good (for my location) speeds.

The new profile Brodie put on the connection has definitely improved things a lot. I will accept that as the Solution and close this thread. Hopefully the good old copper lines to my street will maintain their integrity when it next rains.

Thank you Telstra for responding to the problem I had.

Community Manager Community Manager
Community Manager

Glad to hear it  Smiley Happy

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

zacthedog

Obviously I tempted fate by saying all ok.

I'm sending this from phone using 3G as for the last hour we have no ADSL connection at all. Before that the connection was good and nothing has changed at this end.

My modem/router is attempting reconnect every few minutes but nothing happening - phone working and line is quiet and clear.

Help!
Support Team
Support Team

Hi,

I will have this flagged with Brodie for further assistance tomorrow as she has left for the evening at the present time.

zacthedog

Good solid connection still this morning. About 3.5mbs down and 0.74mbs up.

My phone line remained stable and quiet but it was like someone simply 'pulled the plug' on my ADSL connectivity last night - perhaps at my local exchange (Glenorie) or at its broadband connection to the Internet??

As my previous troubles that was/is the Subject line here (which I would like to change as I am sick of seeing it) - the problem is usually drop-outs, followed by very slow ADSL. That problem seemed to be solved or greatly reduced by Brodie and the line profile changes. I will remain in hope that this total loss was an unusual event.

zacthedog

This is REALLY annoying! Again I'm sending this via phone as we have NO connection at all to ADSL. It's like someone is disconnecting our feed in the early to mid evening .. My guess is we will get back to relatively normal connection late tonight and it will hang in there for most of the day. This is NOT ACCEPTABLE.
Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)
Accepted Solution

Hey zacthedog,

I'll be in contact shortly to see if we can get this working for you. 

Brodie

zacthedog

Hi Brodie,

With the risk of tempting fate --- the connection has been rock solid for several days. Have been able to download movies and stream some video.

Will accpet this now as a solution.

Thank you for your help.

Telstra Smart Modem

Plug in and connect in minutes. Smart.

Find out more
Find out more about the Telstra 24x7 App ×
Manage your services and take advantage of offers while you’re out and about with the Telstra 24x7® App Download now
Earn points on our new rewards program and enjoy tier benefits like discounted movie tickets and moreFind out more

Need a hand or want to share your expertise?
Register for CrowdSupport and get involved

Register now