Joe7844
Level 2: Rookie

Connected by Ethernet. Why am I still with Telstra?

Answered

ttstra.PNG

Why am I still getting these speeds on your 4G backup service?
Your 4G service is much faster than my own internet connection . I've been promised a fix for my main service for a year now. This is still my connection speed range

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Level 24: Supreme Being
Accepted Solution

Re: Connected by Ethernet. Why am I still with Telstra?

hose stats show the speed of ADSL link which is down and not the speed of 4G back. You need to do a speed test at online speed test site such as http://www.speedtest.net/ The 4G back is limited to 6 Mbps down and 1 Mbps up. If you much less than this then your 4G has been throttled to 256 Kbps. The 4G backup gets throttled if used for prolonged period of time. The throttling can be removed by ringing 132200 and requesting that a web form be submitted to have throttling removed. If you haven't already should contact support to have ADSL link fixed.

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
8 REPLIES 8
Level 22: Superhuman

I would recommend calling the ADSL faults team on 13 22 00
For Official Support start a Secure Chat , try the Online Troubleshooter, Outage Check or Complaint.

Full Disclosure as part of Telstras Social Media Code.

Highlighted
Accepted Solution

hose stats show the speed of ADSL link which is down and not the speed of 4G back. You need to do a speed test at online speed test site such as http://www.speedtest.net/ The 4G back is limited to 6 Mbps down and 1 Mbps up. If you much less than this then your 4G has been throttled to 256 Kbps. The 4G backup gets throttled if used for prolonged period of time. The throttling can be removed by ringing 132200 and requesting that a web form be submitted to have throttling removed. If you haven't already should contact support to have ADSL link fixed.

Support Team
Support Team

Hi Joe, the 4G backup connection on our Smart modems has a maximum access speed of 6/1 Mbps (downstream/upstream) - it's intended as an interim connection for fixed-line outages rather than being a full-service wireless modem included with the fixed-line modem. The actual connection speeds for the backup service are affected by factors such as your distance to the local cell or tower, the mobile device you’re using, any physical or electromagnetic interference in the area, and network traffic in your area and to the sites and services you use online.

While we're not able to access accounts via these forums for privacy reasons, our Tech teams on 133 933 or 
 https://tel.st/lbpzm are the best points of contact for investigation and help with the access problems.

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

All moderation actions are supported by the CrowdSupport Community Guidelines

Joe7844

proof1.PNGttstra.PNGI called through to 132200 , they said they need to send me a technician. I've had this happen multiple times and every time the technician says there is no fault at my premises. 

Your modem link stats definitely show a problem with ADSL link and your speed results indicate that the modem is on 4 G backup which has been throttled to 256 Kbps because the modem has been running on backup for an extended period of time. If the modem is running on backup and you have a Gen 2 Smart modem the light on front of will be blue instead of green. If you have the first generation smart modem the online light will be purple.

Joe7844

Checked in with technician, all they want to do is keep sending me technicians and charging me. They've lied to me on multiple occasions saying there is a fault when there is none, and when there is a fault and the 4G backup speeds are restricted - they tell me they must send another technician to fix the issue.
Level 21: Augmented

The backup speeds are restricted to 6/1... Your speeds seem to be restricted to even more which happens when you are on backup for the extended period... Don't have reference to it handy, but there is a form that you can fill in to have the restrictions lifted... Please do search here, or I am sure one of my esteemed colleagues will post the link...
DISCLAIMER: I do not work for Telstra or any other ISP. I never did. I have wealth of practical knowledge in Computer Security and Forensic Computing. I have been in the field since 1985.

Likes (formerly Kudos) and solutions are appreciated!!!
The comments expressed by me reflect my user experience and personal opinion.

From my understanding the unsnapping form can't be submitted directly by customers but by calling up Telstra and support submitting the form.
For Official Support start a Secure Chat , try the Online Troubleshooter, Outage Check or Complaint.

Full Disclosure as part of Telstras Social Media Code.

Telstra Smart Modem

Plug in and connect in minutes. Smart.

Find out more
Find out more about the Telstra 24x7 App ×
Manage your services and take advantage of offers while you’re out and about with the Telstra 24x7® App Download now
Earn points on our new rewards program and enjoy tier benefits like discounted movie tickets and moreFind out more

Need a hand or want to share your expertise?
Register for CrowdSupport and get involved

Register now