Highlighted
NDon
Level 2: Rookie

Connecting a 2nd PC to Gateway Cablemax using Ethernet cable

Answered
I have recently installed a Gateway Cablemax modem/router to my windows 8 (64bit) PC. No problems here. However, I am also trying to link my old PC (Win 7, 32 bit) to the Gateway Cablemax modem/router using an Ethernet cable (it doesn't have a wireless connection) and I cannot seem to find the correct process to do this. I would welcome any suggestions that can resolve this matter.
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
NDon
Accepted Solution

Re: Connecting a 2nd PC to Gateway Cablemax using Ethernet cable

Shelly

BINGO!!

Problem now resolved.  It would seem that the ethernet drivers were not installed when I reinstalled Win 7.  Once I was able to find the drivers, it worked as it should have done in the first place - an automatic connection

Many thanks for your patience and suggestions.

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
7 REPLIES 7
Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Not sure what the difficulty is, you should simply need to connect the LAN cable from any of the yellow ports on the modem to your Windows 7 computer. Have you tried each port?

- Shelly

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

All moderation actions are supported by the CrowdSupport Community Guidelines

NDon

Thanks for replying Kelly

Your response is what I thought should happen.  However, when I try to connect I choose the "Broadband Connection" and select 'connect'. A dialogue box appears with my Bigpond email address and password. I insert the password and select 'connect'. A new dialogue box appears stating it is connecting through WAN mini port (PPPOE). A new dialogue box then appears stating "Error 651: the modem (or other connecting device) has reported an error"   This the same for each of the three remaining yellow ports on the modem. 

The modem cable is the same one I have used previously with no errors or issues.

NDon

Sorry - should have been Shelly

Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Hrmm, you shouldn't need to click on anything to connect, you plug in the LAN cable and away you go. 

It sounds like something is a bit hinky. Is it possible that you have IP and DNS settings manually configured for your Local Area Connection? 

- Shelly

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

NDon

Shelly

I have recently reinstalled windows 7 (format C: drive) and uploaded the updates.  I have checked the IP Ver.6 Properties and the radio buttons that are selected are:

• obtain an IPv6 address automatically, and
  • obtain DNS server address automatically

Is it possible there may be a connection in the modem that needs changing - if so, how can you access the modem?  I have found a reference to http://telstra.gateway/HngLogin.asp however I don't have a username or password to access this.

Thanks

Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

NDon,

The way to test the modem is to connect your Windows 8 laptop to the modem via LAN cable, disable the WiFi and then test. You should have access to the internet without changing any settings at all.

BigPond customers still access IPv4, so these are the settings that matter.

The modem interface can be accessed via http://192.168.0.1 and the default login details for Netgear are admin and password. However as stated previously, you should not need to make any adjustments on the modem for a LAN connection. 

Have you updated the drivers for the network card on the Windows 7 computer?

Also, please make sure that in Network connections that you have not created a "broadband connection" or something similar as this is unnecessary.

- Shelly

NDon
Accepted Solution

Shelly

BINGO!!

Problem now resolved.  It would seem that the ethernet drivers were not installed when I reinstalled Win 7.  Once I was able to find the drivers, it worked as it should have done in the first place - an automatic connection

Many thanks for your patience and suggestions.

Telstra Smart Modem

Plug in and connect in minutes. Smart.

Find out more
Find out more about the Telstra 24x7 App ×
Manage your services and take advantage of offers while you’re out and about with the Telstra 24x7® App Download now
Earn points on our new rewards program and enjoy tier benefits like discounted movie tickets and moreFind out more

Need a hand or want to share your expertise?
Register for CrowdSupport and get involved

Register now