CrowdSupport®
Highlighted
wallyloane
Level 2: Rookie

Constant NBN FTTN dropouts

Answered

Is anyone having constant dropouts with their FTTN NBN connection?  We are experiencing regular (10-30mins) dropouts all day  for the past 10 weeks.  Dropouts occur even when we are away from the house, after 3 modems and 9 technician visits.  The technician visits (NBN and Telstra) result in no further escalation on the part of Telstra or NBN.  We simply go in circles with telephone staff trying to diagnose the problem, sending the technician and then telling us we are fixed.  Yet, the system does not allow us to get to a manager level to get the problem looked at by a more experienced person.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
geggy10
Level 3: Gumshoe
Accepted Solution

Re: Constant NBN FTTN dropouts

G'day Shelly,

A further update. Yesterday afternoon I had a call from an Australian NBN technical centre and a technician spoke to me - what I have been trying to get to all along. Yay!

I was pleased to hear that they are monitoring my connection and could see what it has been doing over the past frustrating weeks.They advised that they altered the stability profile (without sacrificng speed) on my system Friday afternoon which gels back to my observation that from about 5pm on Friday it was operating properly. They confirmed that from their monitoring it now seems stable. It stayed up all weekend as per my pervious note.

Based on what happened last time, we have agreed to not mark it as "Resolved" and will contined to monitor over the next couple of weeks.

It looks like we are indeed finally getting htis sorted. My only comment is that the process it took to get this far is a joke and really needs to be reviewed. It could have been much shorter and much more efficient with less "agro" if only the call centre colsultants listened and did not mindlessly follow scripts...

Here's hoping it stays stable from now on. I will update once I know.

Regards, Greg

View solution in original post

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
22 REPLIES 22
Support Team
Support Team

Hi wallyloane

Sorry for the trouble with you NBN service at the moment and definitely want to get this sorted out for you. Have the technicians given any indication of what the issue is? Did you have any fault reference numbers for the issue?

Thanks

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

All moderation actions are supported by the CrowdSupport Community Guidelines

WallyLoane1
Level 1: Cadet

We had to change our crowdsupport account from wallyloane to wallyoane1 becuase we had logging in issues.

The technicians have indicated that there is a fault at the node and that our line is free of faults. The technicians have tried to get the problem escalated to an Advanced Fault Escalation but NBN are still refusing to comply. Our case is now 3 months old. We are currently talking to this guy who is taking a lot of time and negioation for no result yet:

Benjamin  "Ben" Baluran

TORCOE Complaint Resolution Coordinator
TOps Resolution Centre of Excellence 
Customer Service Delivery, Telstra Operations

Our reference number with him is 

Complaint Reference: SR 1-892983940166

Another reference number we have is: 159501329

We are completely frustrated with the service we have received, and feel that a solution to this problem is still a long way off.

We are now up to about 10 to 11 technician visits, have been on the phone many times, and still have multiple dropouts everyday.

Support Team
Support Team

Thanks for that and I am happy to chase this up for you now.

It appears that the case manager is still follow this up for you and they are arranging a call for you today. Keep me posted with how it goes and let me know if they don't get in touch.

Thanks

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

geggy10

Yes, we are experiencing the same problem. Initially when they converted from ADSL to NBN (professionally installed by Telstra NBN with a new modem supplied etc. got it working for a day then it went down for the first time) THEN the node in the street was connected wrong - connected to the wrong port (someone forgot to make a note as to what port our service was connected to - and a technician came out and found that another technician had disconnected us). Finally it worked perfectly - for a day all day Thursday!. Then at 0830 Friday morning it became intermittent exactly as you describe. I have spent literally hours on hold and getting the run around from various "technical consultants" in various call centres. I have gone through countless modem re-sets, cable checks, from both my end and those conducted remotely and gone around and around in circles. I have been given various YHMN links - that never work - and so I have to go through the call centre all over again - now four times. Every time I call no one can find the notes and it goes around and around... THIS IS INCOMPETENCE AT BEST! I need to speak to a senior manager - not a call centre operator - who knows what they are talking about and that can get this fixed once and for all! I am writing this while I am on hold with another call centre operator going around again... HELP!! Greg.
Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Hi Greg, understand the frustration this has caused and trust our team will be able to get your connection back up and running smoothly, are you able to confirm if since posting you have been able to get in touch with us?

Our NBN T-Fibre Team can be reached at 1800 834 273 directly, and will be able to escalate any current or previously raised fault tickets. Further investigation may be required, which may include a technician field visit.

If you are unhappy with the resolution that has been provided, you can lodge a formal complaint with us at: Lodging a complaint with Telstra

Once raised, a case manager will be assigned and make contact with you prior to investigation and further liaison for a resolution that meets your needs.

geggy10

G'day Adam,

I really appreciate your quick reply. You are the first person I have dealt with at Telstra that is responsive..

Yes, I have managed to get back in touch (after having to go through the whole saga of explanation and multiple tests again - all with the same results as previously) and a technician was arranged to attend the site between 1pm and 5pm yesterday. Needless to say I was there all day and no one turned up and I was not contacted to be advised no one would attend. The issue is still not resolved continues to go up and down every five minutes or so (although late afternoon the "cycle" seemed to "improve" to  to very 20 minutes...).

I will contact the NBN T-Fibre Team today on the number you provided and go through it all again. Hopefully this will at least cut out a lot of stuffing around through the general faults desk and more and more repeated, useless testing. I really need a technician to visit the site and definitively review everything from the wall to the exchange (including all the port set ups at the node).

If that fails I will definitely lodge a formal complaint. A case officer who can follow this through until all is as working as it should be is what I really need.

I will let you know how it all goes...

Thanks, Greg

geggy10

G'day Adam,

An update...

I used the number that you gave me - all it did was to put me through to the same automated system I have been using all along. Once again I could not get anyone who could understand the history of this case and a new consultant yet again started through the whole "need to run some tests" stuff (this would be the sixth time I have been through this) when all I really want is an explanation as to why the arranged tech did not turn up when I was advised they would and to make another time for one to come.

In the meantime I thought I would give the YHMN link another try. This time it worked - but yet another new consultant called back, not the one that I had been previously talking to and who sent me the YHMN link - and once again she wanted to go through the whole thing from the start. I stopped her and said I only wanted to talk to the consultant that I had been dealing with before and I gave her his Employee ID number and she said she would email him to call me - I have not heard anything since.

This is unacceptable. The going round in circles is nothing short of a joke. If I ran my business like this I would be broke. I will wait another 24 hours for the promsied call but after that I am going to go ballistic and escalate this joke throughout all Telstra.

I have had enough of being mucked around...

Thanks, Greg

Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

I'm sorry to hear about the difficulties you have experienced when trying to get assistance with this issue. If you advise that you are calling up to follow up on an existing case, they should be able to provide you with an update without taking you through the troubleshooting steps again.

1800 834 273  is the best number to call for anything regarding the NBN Service. When you reported this fault, did the consultants give you a reference number?

- Shelly

geggy10

G'day Shelly,

Thanks for your response. I appreciate it as I had almost lost hope that this would ever be fixed. Probably the greatest source of frustration was that even when I gave any the of the myriad of consultants I have been dealing with on this issue over the last few weeks the case number that I was given originally (two weeks ago, right at the start of the process) they always insisted that the test "cycle" was always redone. Overall, I think I have completed it at least six times. If they simply looked up the case number as you suggest it would have saved a lot of time and annoyance.

At any rate, FYI, here is an update. As you know from my previous post, no technican turned up at the scheduled time on Tuesday and no call was received from anyone. Today, Monday, I got a call (I was out but they left a voice mail) wanting to check the service status and to schedule another appointment.

For some mysterious reason from Friday afternoon, without any technician calling or anything beng done (at least from what I can tell), the internet connection came up perfectly and has been stable ever since. It did not drop out once over the weekend and line speed was exactly what it should have been. I'm going to give it a week or so to see if that continues before I have this case updated as "resolved".

I really would like to know what has been going on behind the scenes with this. Why it was so flaky for a week and then all of a sudden perfect? I can only summise that technicians were working on the network somewhere (setting up other users?) and once the work was completed it went to normal? If this is the case then there sholuld be a record of this work being done that consultants should be able to see and so would know what is going on?

This whole saga says to me that no one really communicates, knows or understands what is happening b etween Telstra and NBN and that is compounded by the fact that the offshore call centres insist on working through scripted responses and are not allowed to think outside standard processes or responses and, frustratingly, always assume that the customer is the lowest comon denominator.

I will let you know what happens over the next couple of weeks...

Thanks, Greg..

geggy10
Accepted Solution

G'day Shelly,

A further update. Yesterday afternoon I had a call from an Australian NBN technical centre and a technician spoke to me - what I have been trying to get to all along. Yay!

I was pleased to hear that they are monitoring my connection and could see what it has been doing over the past frustrating weeks.They advised that they altered the stability profile (without sacrificng speed) on my system Friday afternoon which gels back to my observation that from about 5pm on Friday it was operating properly. They confirmed that from their monitoring it now seems stable. It stayed up all weekend as per my pervious note.

Based on what happened last time, we have agreed to not mark it as "Resolved" and will contined to monitor over the next couple of weeks.

It looks like we are indeed finally getting htis sorted. My only comment is that the process it took to get this far is a joke and really needs to be reviewed. It could have been much shorter and much more efficient with less "agro" if only the call centre colsultants listened and did not mindlessly follow scripts...

Here's hoping it stays stable from now on. I will update once I know.

Regards, Greg

View solution in original post

Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Thanks for the update Greg. It's great to hear that your service is much more stable and you are getting contacts from our Tech Support team regarding this.

- Shelly

DavidMouf

I have been eperiencing drop outs since the 16 September 2016, three technician visits, a modem change and nothing found wrong at home and still no solution to problem.   No technical support from Telstra except, we are sorry, we understand and moving on.  So I would guess we are all in the same boat, got something that doesnt seem to be able to be fixed.  I can only agree with you in trying to escalate this it does not get too far.   So we are being billed for a service they can not fix interesting.

geggy10

G'day Shelly,

Well after one hiccup (power failure? and an automatic modem reset) two Thursdays ago the connection and modem has been stable and running at the "advertised" speed ever since. As arranged, a technician from the Brisbane NBN centre called me this morning and verified that according to their monitoring records there have been no recorded failures in the last ten days. It looks like the issue has been finally resolved. As a result, we agreed to mark the case "resolved" and closed the case.

It has been long and frustrating journey and as I said before could have been sorted very quickly if it was handed to the NBN technical team a lot earlier instead of mucking around with the "scripted" call centre consultants. All I can say to anyone else experiencing these issues is that you have to persist and get put onto the NBN technical team in Brisbane. Once they start monitoring and fine tuning the algorithms used on your line the problem will get sorted.

Thanks for your help and advice on the way through as well. Assuming it doesn't all fall apart once they cease monitoring my connection, this should be my last post.

Regards,

Greg

Support Team
Support Team

That's fantastic Greg, really glad to read it has been resolved.

brad26
Level 4: Private Eye

Praise the Lord !
awbo

We are up to our 6th visit from NBN technicians and still dropping out multiple times per day. I wish I never went to NBN and feel like begging to be put back on ADSL.
lewis1969

so who do you contact been connected for a few weeks getting content drop outs every 30 secs turns on turns off i run a server and radio equipment on the network which makes it very difficult changed over from optus never had these issues with them in the last 3 years

Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Hey lewis1969,

The best contact to have these connection issues with the NBN tested and possibly raised further is with the NBN Assurance team. They can be reached 24/7 on 1800834273 - IVR > saying “faults” when prompted.

Lena3

We have also experienced severe dropouts from the day NBN was installed until now ~ 7 months ! We have rung Telstra up to 40 times at least. We have had the modem replayed 3 times, the Black NBN biz once so far. The drop outs are random. Some days it can be out for 2 hours, others it drops in and out within a minute. But it’s off up to 780 times in a 7 day period. We refuse to pay for any of the internet usage whatsoever. We pay for the use of our mobiles only. We are at our whits dnd. I’m mentally gone ! My son has distroyed 3 TV monitors due to breakdown with connection right at a vital moment. My husband has had to cut his online Uni course. We are furious and desperate to get our lives back. What a mess this is.
Steph1307

I have had the same issues.

Never had a problem on ADSL2+ for 5+years. Switched to NBN in November 2016 and it has been problem after problem. Have been through 3 modems. Recently it has gotten worse. It drops out every 10 ~20mins. How can they expect us to pay the internet service bills, when we are not able to work from home using the internet.

Last time calling the "special" NBN hotline, we got passed through 4 different teams, taking a total of 1 hour on the phone (mobile phone call that I had to pay for) with more than 45minutes of waiting time between switching from team to team while each of them read the case and passed it on.

We get the same scripts from offshore call centre representatives and repeated demands to conduct the test cycles and results are always - "tests are inconclusive", we will need to get a technician or specialist team to call you back. The call back never occurs at the requested time frames. So why ask what is the best time for a call back??!!

I would NOT recommend switching to NBN FTTN when they come knocking to say, we recommend you switch to NBN as the ADSL service will be disconnected in the near future.

Poor performance, poor service, poor experience.

Switch us back to ADSL2+. Paying premium prices and getting peanuts in service.

Level 24: Supreme Being
Level 24: Supreme Being

Under the regulation requirements once NBN becomes available in your area you have 18 month period to move over to the NBN network, if you haven't moved over by the end of the 18 month period from the Ready For Service date you are subjected to the Managed Disconnection process, which essentially means you will be disconnected (it allows the phone to be used for 000 and Telstra calls for a couple days after everything else is disconnected).

The Rudd Govt put that into the law when they first built it to guarantee everyone ended up on the NBN because the govt didn't want some people on the NBN and others opting to stay on private networks.

If you are calling from a Telstra mobile, calls to Telstra are not charged. doesn't help if you are calling from a mobile on another provider though.
Helpful Links

Internet not working or outage in your area? - Check the Outage page for details and troubleshooting.
Help with an account issue? - LiveChat 24x7 support
View Usage, Bills and more - Check it out on MyAccount

Previously worked with a Telstra Partner however I am not a Telstra Employee, just a fellow customer helping when I can.

thomas55

Heaps. We are in Dubbo. Similar story to others. It slows then it drops.

Set it & forget it

With direct debit there’s no need to give paying your bill another thought.

Avoid queuing up and never worry about late fees again.

Setup direct debit
Find out more about the Telstra 24x7 App and direct debit ×

Avoid queueing up and never worry about late fees againSet up direct debit
Manage your services and take advantage of offers while you’re out and about with the Telstra 24x7® App Find out more

Need a hand or want to share your expertise?
Register for CrowdSupport and get involved

Register now