Highlighted
Spondulix
Level 2: Rookie

Constant NBN FTTN dropouts

I have been connected to FTTN since the end of September 2017 and during November the dropouts started and continue to this day. Some days the modem has lost sync up to 140 times. I have made numerous fault reports to Telstra NBN faults with one NBN technician visit that was inconclusive. I have been told numerous times that the line has been tested and is fine. It seems no consideration is taken to the stats that the NBN obviously has access to showing the quality of the service. I have three NBN approved modems that I have used and all suffer from the dropout issue. The wiring in the house was checked by the NBN technician and was not an issue. I keep asking to have the matter escalated to the NBN but all I am told is the line has been tested by NBN and is fine. When I first connected to the NBN my max line rate was around 62 Mb down. This is now around 35 due to the implementation of stability profiles. It is so frustrating having to go through the whole fault reporting process, repeating the same information, doing troubleshooting and nothing is rectified. At one stage there was a complaints manager handling the issue but I have been unable to recontact him even though I provide the reference number and ask to be connected to him. Any help would be appreciated.

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
7 REPLIES 7
Level 24: Supreme Being

Re: Constant NBN FTTN dropouts

Could you post the link stats. These will show if the line is faulty.

TG587 TG797. TG799 and TG800
http://10.0.0.138 > advance > broadband > DSL Diagnostics

Telstra Frontier (DJN2130) or Telstra Smart Modem (DJA0230)
http://192.168.0.1/ > Advanced > Broadband > DSL Diagnostics

Telstra Gateway (Sagemcom F@st 5355)

http://10.0.0.138 Advanced > Gateway Settings > Dev Info > Statistics >  WAN 1 - xDSL Password is admin

If Telstra want escalate the matter to the NBN your next step is the TIO

https://www.tio.com.au/consumers 1800 062 058

Spondulix

DSL stats

Parameters Last 15 min Current Day Prior Day Showtime
Link Retrain Count257250
Sync Bandwitdh(Down/Up)---34.5M/18.09M
Loss of Sync,LOS(Local/Remote)0/00/250/910/0
Loss of Framming,LOF(Local/Remote)0/00/250/910/0
Loss of Margin,LOM(Local/Remote)0/00/30/150/0
Forward Error Correction,FEC98633/728035290/32098633/728035547/1171
Cyclic Redundancy Correction,CRC0/070/177794/29223/0
Errored Seconds,ES0/027/73283/7864/0
Severely Errored Seconds,SES0/011/5290/3323/0
Unavailable Seconds,UAS0/01643/165610921/109820/0

Looking at those stats it is obvious there is something wrong with the VDSL link. I am surprised that Telstra has not insisted that NBN Co send out a Tech to investigate. It is probably a faulty connection in node or pillar or pit.

Normal connection.

frontier_Link_Diagnostic.JPG

Spondulix

Thanks cf4 for your help. Coincidentally I just received a call from Telstra faults and they have booked an NBN technician to attend this Friday. I have recorded the above stats over the past months and will show them to the technician and hopefully he will see that there is a problem and it may be resolved. I will keep my fingers crossed.
thomas55

Same here. My speed starts at 11mbps (I am on the 40mbps plan) then slows to 2 mbps, then dies. It does this about 40 times a day. Also at my wits end. I rang and did chat with Telstra. They just ask you for ID info and shunt you onto someone else who asks you for the same info. They are totally lost.
Spondulix

Waited home for the NBN Technician between 8 am and 12 noon today - no show, no phone contact, nothing changed. I was warned by Telstra nbn faults that they probably wouldn't show so really not surprised. Have to start the runaround again on Monday if I feel up to it. Makes you feel like throwing your hands in the air, cancel the service with Telstra as has been offered to me because of the inability to provide the services I have been paying for. But what alternative do you have? When and if 5g rolls out to this area I would seriously consider paying a premium for a reliable service.

thomas55

When NBN was set up they had a ballet dancer on their board (that's the truth). It demonstrates the total flippancy of that corporation towards the long suffering taxpayers and consumers who are suffering at their hands now.

Telstra Smart Modem

Plug in and connect in minutes. Smart.

Find out more
Find out more about the Telstra 24x7 App ×
Manage your services and take advantage of offers while you’re out and about with the Telstra 24x7® App Download now
Earn points on our new rewards program and enjoy tier benefits like discounted movie tickets and moreFind out more

Need a hand or want to share your expertise?
Register for CrowdSupport and get involved

Register now