CrowdSupport®
Level 1: Cadet

Constant cable dropouts

Hey all,

Recently I have been having a lot of troubles with the internet dropping out. We thought it must be the modem as the 5ghz channel wasnt working either so we figured it was a dud! Fast forward to today, new modem recieved and everything seems to work properly now on the wifi front but the internet is still dropping out.The wifi will stay connected the whole time but the internet just stops responding. Sometimes it can happen in quick succession other times it go for aaaages without doing it.

We have tried hooking up an apple airport router but it still does it and also does it on both channels of the Telstra netgear router. We are running 1x Macbook pro, 2x macbook pro retina, 1x mac mini and 1x older iMac and all seem to have this issue from time to time.

The strange thing is when it starts to happen, changing to a different network on the same connection.. (i.e. from the 2.4ghz netgear to 5ghz or to airport) will see it start working again straight away.

When you type something in an address bar the progress bar will move 1/5th of the way along in Safari and just sit there. Chrome will come up with not being connected to the internet. Facebook chat will also regularly drop out or not send messages because of this! Strangely enough my iphone 6s still seems to be able to navigate the net when my computers go down.

I'm at an absolute loss as to what is happening here.

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
5 REPLIES 5
Highlighted

Re: Constant cable dropouts

Possibly unrelated, but I'm also getting cable bigpond (and foxtel from Telstra) dropping out.  This has been happening over last week or so.  I'm in Melbourne.

Have you checked if you have any internet connectivity at all?  I am sometimes getting an error message in my browser  saying "Telstra Gateway Max - Your WAN connection is down".  Othertimes, pages just fail to load and it says site unavailable.

I can also see my foxtel IQ3's status light goes to Orange and foxtel says "no connection" if you try and use it.

Bigpond team can see that I'm getting dropouts (and see how many a day I'm having).  I have a technician coming out on site tomorrow.

On a side note of your iphone 6s - if you have wifi assist turned on, your phone will use 4G/3G if the wifi signal is not strong enough/not working, so that might explain that.

Highlighted
Community Manager Community Manager
Community Manager

As @boosh mentioned there is a known issue that was affecting customers last weekend that may have also affected you. This would be unrelated to earlier WiFi difficulties you were experiencing.

Are you able to connect now or did you still need a hand?

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

All moderation actions are supported by the CrowdSupport Community Guidelines

Highlighted

I came here after searching "telstra cable bigpond constant drop outs" - this has been an ongoing problem for me for the past few weeks.

I actually had major problems 6 months ago and was advised to get a new modem (There goes a couple of hundred bucks) and am really annoyed that this is happening again because that "easy fix" of getting a new modem resulted in me being without an internet connection for about a month while Telstra tried to figure out how to activate it. Let that be a lesson to you all, if you think that getting a new modem is a good idea and is as simple as plugging it in and registering it, THINK AGAIN. GETTING the modem was the easy part - connecting it at my end was simple....getting Telstra to activate it at their end was a ridiculous mess. It took me over 20 phone calls and collectively about 8 hours talking to the off shore technicians before they managed to get it right. (How hard can it really be???) 

I must be about the most patient customer you have Telstra because somehow after all that, I am still forking out my 100 bucks a month to you and I am back to putting up with the constant drop outs! (The whole reason I upgraded my modem in the first place!!) 

Here I am, trying to work and I can't because every drop out means I have to reconnect to my remote server. Do you know how hard it is to write code when you have to keep logging in? It's freaking impossible to keep your train of thought when you are in the middle of debugging and get a black disconnection screen. 

So I am using my mobile phone data - got another text message tthis morning o happily say that I have bought another $10 data pack. great...so I am paying for MORE internet because the internet I am paying for isn't reliable. 

What do I have to do to get good, reliable internet? I am happy to pay for it - I am already paying over $100 a month (Make that $120 this month....ding... there goes another $10 data pack).

I was sticking with Telstra because I thought they had a premium product but I am starting to feel like I am being dudded. I used to recommend Telstra to my friends but now I do the opposite - I am actually asking them what service they use because surely there is a company somewhere that can provide me with the kind of service I am paying for. 

Highlighted
Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Hi Xine

It's disappointing to read of the issues you have had with your Cable service in recent time. I would recommend speaking with our 24x7 Technical Support team on 133933 so they can organise for a Technician to come out and check what is going on. 

Kind Regards 

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

All moderation actions are supported by the CrowdSupport Community Guidelines

Highlighted

I could take the first paragraph of Xine's post and write the same thing. My CRM software requires a constant handshake (probably the wrong tech term but that's the way it was described to me) but when that handshake fails it gives no alert, the data I am entering is simply not recorded or backed up.
My wifi/modem shows a constant connection but clearly there are dozens of these micro dropouts. I had this issue a year or two ago and did the modem swap (without Xine's issues thankfully) which seemed to resolve it short term, but I have had intermittent problems with the same thing ever since. I had an issue with this months ago that lasted several days which seemed to resolve itself and I simply put it down to an unreliable connection but this is now an ongoing issue and is affecting my ability to work. Given I run a home office, this is frustrating at best and when facing a client downright embarassing.

Set it & forget it

With direct debit there’s no need to give paying your bill another thought.

Avoid queuing up and never worry about late fees again.

Setup direct debit