CrowdSupport®
Highlighted
bogholio
Level 2: Rookie

Constant slow speeds with ADSL2+

Answered

Hi there,

For the past 4 days I've been experiencing incredibly slow internet speeds. I'm running ADSL2+ with a Netgear N600 modem router. The router is the only device connected to the telephone line and I (usually) run 2 computers, an Ipad and 2 Iphones (when in range) through the connection.

I've been on the phone with Telstra's tech support and they've come up with no explination, so wondering if anyone here may be able to help??

This is my problem to date:

On around the 18th of this month i noticed my internet speed was extremely low, around the 100kB/s, and assumed I had gone over my quota for the month (currently on the 200G/month bundle plan). However, when I logged into the My Account section on Bigpond's home page, I saw that my billing cycle had just rolled over and I had only used 600mb of my usage. After a while on the phone with Tech Support running through some troubleshooting, such as recycling my modem, the computers, isolating 1 computer to the connection, etc. they then asked me to turn off my modem and computers and wait 1 hour before turning them back on, I did this and obviously nothing happened. I have a feeling the woman just didn't want to deal with the problem.

The next day I noticed it was still slow (100kB/s max) and got onto tech support again, ran through the same no brain process of elimation and was then escelated to another department which i was told would call me back by 11am the next morning, which didn't happen. When I called the number the previous tech support worker gave me, they informed me that they would be sending out a technician to test my line and that I should be home between the hours of 1300 - 1700, so I was and nobody came. At 1735 I received a text message saying that my issue had been resolved, so naturally I did a speed test (both at speedtest.net and ozspeedtest.com) and wouldn't you know it, still no change (100kB/s max).

This is pretty much where I'm up to. Please note that prior to the 18th I was receiving speeds of up to 1.4MB/s. The only suggestion that something might have changed on my account is on the My Account screen of the bigpond webpage there's a little exclamation mark with this note next to it, under the usage meter.

Your usage allowance for this period may have been adjusted. This is may be due to a change in billing arrangement, a plan change, a usage credit or because you just joined.

I've been on this plan since November last year, had a slight hiccup in January when telstra linked my accound to someone's modem down south, but other than that I've been getting excellent internet speeds with no drop outs. Still not getting any drop outs, but the speed is shocking.

Sorry for the wall of text, just wanted to be thorough. Any help would be very much appreciated.

Cheers

*EDIT* Also thought I might mention that it's only the download speed being affected not the upload speed. And i've tried testing the speed of the modem itself by transfering files between 2 computers over the network and got around 2.6MB/s (WiFi) so I think I can rule out the modem, also pays to mention that I have made absolutely no changes to my plan/physical setup/computers/etc etc. This problem just seemed to emerge out of nowhere.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
bogholio
Accepted Solution

Re: Constant slow speeds with ADSL2+

FIXED...

Got a call from the local tech at the exchange here yesterday and was told that there was a problem with the port they had my connection on, changed the port, back up n running.

Thanks to the people that tried to help.

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
17 REPLIES 17
Ben_F
Community Alumni (Retired)

Can you post the stats from your Modem?

B.

----------------------------

New Users - Click Here!

bogholio

I've X'd out a couple of I.P address', not completely up to date with what people can use to hack u or whatever, if you need them let me know.

Router Status

Hardware VersionDGND3700
Firmware VersionV1.0.0.17_1.0.17
GUI Language VersionV1.0.0.15

Internet Port
MAC Address X
IP Address X
Network Type PPPoA
IP Subnet Mask 255.255.255.255
Gateway IP Address X
Domain Name Server <!> X

LAN Port
MAC Address 4C:60Smiley Very HappyE:31:6A:E6
IP Address 192.168.0.1
DHCP On
IP Subnet Mask 255.255.255.0

Modem
ADSL Firmware VersionA2pv6C035g.d23k
Modem Statusconnected
DownStream Connection Speed11027 kbps
UpStream Connection Speed1021 kbps
VPI8
VCI35
kathen
Level 1: Cadet

Might sound silly but do you have a line filter/spliter on the line before the modem? Even if you dont run a phone from that line. I had a similar problem not too long ago and it was due to a filer that bailed up on me (Even tho I was on a naked plan that had no phone). If you have a spare one laying around try replacing it and see if it helps.

bogholio

I didnt originally have a filter on the line, but I've since put a brand new filter on, and when that didnt work, I've moved the modem to telephone point that telstra look after, nearest to the road, still no change Smiley Sad

*sorry for my horrible spelling, trying to stay awake to be ready for nightshift tomorrow! haha

Ben_F
Community Alumni (Retired)

Interesting. Your Sync speeds seem to indicate that you can get heaps more then what you are getting....

Can you try this article - http://crowdsupport.telstra.com.au/t5/Home-Broadband-KB/A-better-way-to-test-your-connections-MAX-sp... and see how you go? http://mirror.aarnet.edu.au is Unmetered for most Bigpond Customers.

B.

----------------------------

New Users - Click Here!

bogholio

DU.jpg

As requested. My browser was downloading something else aswell at the same time (makes up for 90-100kB/s difference between the downloader and DU) .. It seems to have picked up a wee bit since around 1800-2200 which is when I've been using the internet for the past few days. Nowhere near the speeds I've been getting since November last year and also it's 0230 in the morning, my speed would usually be in excess of 1.2MB/s this time last week...

bogholio

was just having a look at the Tophat Rollout list and saw that my place is smack bang in the middle of an area that's due for a proposed service date of Sep-12, would this be making any difference to me? I already had ADSL2+ with good speeds here??

On the plus side, the house that my wife and I just bought will be getting a Tophat thing aswell, can only get ADSL1 there atm. Smiley Very Happy
bogholio

some new stats... now getting up to 500kB/s but my modem's connection speed is still at 11167kbps. I read somewhere that having a Noise Margin of 6.0db or lower can cause problems, how to i raise that number?

ADSL LinkDownstreamUpstream
Connection Speed11167 kbps1021 kbps
Line Attenuation39.5 db23.4 db
Noise Margin6.0 db11.1 db
bogholio
Accepted Solution

FIXED...

Got a call from the local tech at the exchange here yesterday and was told that there was a problem with the port they had my connection on, changed the port, back up n running.

Thanks to the people that tried to help.

1Clinton2

foxtel play unwatchable in albany western australia on xbox360 and pc's due to slow speeds i asume tbox is also affected. for people with those.

Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Hi 1clinton2, 

People in the same location can get completely different speeds, based on the Technology that they are using, the exchange or RIM that they are connected to, the distance from the exchange etc. 

So it's certainly not accurate to state that in one location in Australia that certain Internet services won't work. 

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

All moderation actions are supported by the CrowdSupport Community Guidelines

kearns21188

mine is slow as too plus im paying more in my bundle for extra high speed and my optus mobile phone has faster internet wtf!

kearns21188

ive had adsl2+ with telstra for about a month it started off very good but all of a sudden its became terrible Internet cutting in and out extremely slow speeds my optus mobile is faster im also paying for extra for faster speeds in my contract ive wasted hours allready on the phone with support and a technician has been to my house and its still poor

my last speed  test was 0.87 mbps thats rubbish and im not over my data

@Steph wrote:

Hi 1clinton2, 

People in the same location can get completely different speeds, based on the Technology that they are using, the exchange or RIM that they are connected to, the distance from the exchange etc. 

So it's certainly not accurate to state that in one location in Australia that certain Internet services won't work. 

Support Team
Support Team

G'day kearns,

If we've sent out a tech but the problem is still ongoing then your best bet is to follow it up again with Technical Support. If in the end it's a problem that can't be quickly resolved (such as exchange congestion) then we'll get to the bottom of it and tell you. If not, then letting us know that there is still an issue will allow us to get one step closer to fixing it up.

-Dylan

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

Dfredric

I have the same issue with my connection. Recently it has become incredibly slow on adsl2+. Speedtest.net recorded connection running at ranges between 12-15mbps averaging download speeds of 1 to 1.5mbytes per sec and now in the last week running at 2-4 mbps but with average download speeds as low as 25kbytes per sec (about 160kbps) and connection is unusable.

No change in setup. Isolation test performed. Checked with and without splitter. Multiple modem reboots. Checked firmware. Tried different modem. All displays same issue.

Line was tested for a fault and is clear

Modem page shows connection is negotiated at around 15mbps down and 940kbps up

Line atennuation 29.5 down 18.1 up
Signal to noise ratio margin 6.7 down 7.9 up
Actual aggregate transmit power 18.8 down 12.0 up

Level 2 tech called this morning and wanted to fob me off by saying it was because i was running windows 10 and icloud or onedrive software syncing all the time which is not the case. What happened to the quality of tech support? She said they would run network analyser for 24 hours but she did not see a fault. I have multiple devices that i have tested the connection and only one of these runs windows 10 and all report slow speed.

I am disgusted at my experience with tech support considering my family pays a premium for a so called premium internet service. At the moment it is completely unusable.
Dfredric

Modem is dlink dsl2870
Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Hi Dfredric,

If you have tried multiple modems while isolated and still having speed issues then this should be something that the tech support team can escalate further. If the modem is syncing at 15Mbps but download speed is still low then this could be affected by high upload. If this is not the case then possibly congestion if the slow speeds are happening during certain times of the day. 

If you believe technical support are not able to further assist you can look into lodging a complaint here Lodging a complaint with Telstra

- AlistairQWA

Telstra Smart Modem

Plug in and connect in minutes. Smart.

Find out more
Find out more about the Telstra 24x7 App ×
Manage your services and take advantage of offers while you’re out and about with the Telstra 24x7® App Find out more
Earn points on our new rewards program and enjoy tier benefits like discounted movie tickets and moreFind out more

Need a hand or want to share your expertise?
Register for CrowdSupport and get involved

Register now