coballes19
Level 3: Gumshoe

Current problem with international routing!

Ok, so back a month ago, SMW3 was fixed and a few days later, Telstra has patched up their routing.

What's weird though is that after the fix, my connections to SEA were ok at first but got gradually worse as time goes by.

My connections to certain people just weren't the same back before SMW3 was broken and by now, it came to the point where the difference was too noticeable and unbearable.

So a moment of investigation with some limited amount of targets that I have shows something peculiar:

It seems like Telstra is wrongly routing certain packets forwarded to certain asian destination.

For instance, 110.164.2.218 is a Bangkok destination:

Bangkok 3BB broken.PNG

You can see that Telstra is still routing this all through the other side of australia. For comparison, this is what it should be like, before SMW3 broke:

Bangkok 3BB.PNG

You see the huge difference?

I don't know how much of their routing was not restored properly, but I do know that this must not be the only one, cause a lot of SEA people I use to play with (some aren't even from Thailand) got worse connections than before, which may mean that somewhere out there, Telstra may still have some unoptimal routing.

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
16 REPLIES
coballes19

Re: Current problem with international routing!

Here's another:

Though I never had a chance back then to trace it, here's a Singapore game server i use to get good connection with but not anymore. :

singapore game server.PNG

coballes19

Uh... Really?

Not a single one from telstra to acknowledge this?
Level 24: Supreme Being

As this is a public forum it is typically mostly answered by fellow customers in a peer-to-peer style, as is usually the case with forums, so often if the users can't help and there isn't any real additional information for them to provide or if you post at a time when there are fewer people online who can help you are less likely to get replies. There is staff who do monitor these forums however they are usually unable to help with account specific enquiries.

I can, however, message one of the tech staff to see if they can have a look at seeing if they might be able to provide some additional insight, not sure if they will be able to help but I will put out the question to see if one of them can have a look.

Helpful Links

Internet not working or outage in your area? - Check the Outage page for details and troubleshooting.
Help with an account issue? - LiveChat 24x7 support
View Usage, Bills and more - Check it out on MyAccount

Previously worked with a Telstra Partner however I am not a Telstra Employee, just a fellow customer helping when I can.

coballes19

Thanks man.

There's just not much way to get to Telstra support really while being able to go to great detail about the problem. Chat support can't send photos iirl and call support just won't get it. Plus, I've seen tech staff do respond to this kinds of problem here but I guess that's just stroke of luck, huh?

It does depend a bit on when it is posted and the like. The staff who do tech tend to be mostly on during the week during the day from what I have noticed whereas there are staff here almost always but they might not know the information to actually help. 

From previous posts, they often can give information about any issues on the network that might be at play (such as damage to cables or the like) but as far as submitting to get it fixed it usually takes account information and that is where they tend to get limited.

That being said, I have sent it through as I said so hopefully someone will be able to pick it up and then we can see what can be done for trying to isolate the issue for you a bit more.

Helpful Links

Internet not working or outage in your area? - Check the Outage page for details and troubleshooting.

Previously worked with a Telstra Partner however I am not a Telstra Employee, just a fellow customer helping when I can.

Just for reference. I am in Victoria, and this is what I get from a TPG connection:

thai.PNG

Never be afraid to back yourself when trying new things, just always make sure you have 3 escape routes if things go wrong.

Reach who operate the South East Asia (SEA) cable are listing a fault on it at the moment which could be part of why it is routing around.
Helpful Links

Technical Support
Technical Support

Routing across international / sub-sea networks is heavily monitored and updated frequently for best performance (often without human intervention). I can see a number of issues that may impact traffic at the moment, making it necessary for data to be routed around those trouble spots. Our network teams are aware of potential issues and take action when the need arises. 

There are some interesting articles about the Indigo subsea cable that is currently being built, how we are protecting the subsea cable network and a great YouTube clip about what is involved to repair subsea cabling.

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

All moderation actions are supported by the CrowdSupport Community Guidelines

coballes19

Did they state which of then cables they manage got faulty?

I know several people from Malaysia and Japan that I got worse connection too than before since SMW3 was fixed last month. I'm trying to get an IP address to test.

coballes19

Hmm kinda hard to see cause at some 7 hops must have timed out.

Though it still kinda looked better than Telstra. Here's a melbourne looking glass result for ABB (which uses Telstra transit):

Capture.PNG

coballes19

Hmm kinda hard to see cause at some 7 hops must have timed out.

Though it still kinda looked better than Telstra. Here's a Melbourne looking glass result for ABB (which uses Telstra transit):

Capture.PNG

Also:
Seems like I'm being routed all towards US too.

2.PNG

3.PNG

The highlighted hops from the tracerts that I posted are all from US (GTT Communications). That... umm, a very very far hop to go...

I think you'll find that it is having to take the long way round due to the issues that are occurring on a number of the cables going in to South East Asia (not uncommon at the moment - even submarine cables get damaged due to storms).

There isn't really much that Telstra can do about it other than minimise the impact as much as possible as they don't own the cables that are having issues.
Never be afraid to back yourself when trying new things, just always make sure you have 3 escape routes if things go wrong.
coballes19

Can I get a list of current faulty Asian cables or at least referred to where I can see them?

I know AAG cable (which is one of the major Asian-wide cable) that was broken about same period as SMW3 was already fixed near the end of January. Asia-Pacific Gateway should have also been finished back at January and they were the only Asian cables I can see that was broken by actively searching.
I also haven't seen any listing that Reach has yet. Where can I see those too?
Level 21: Augmented
Level 21: Augmented

I believe that not all owners of these cables make such information publicly available - often they are marked as "commercial in confidence"...

Also, different providers will have different routing tables, based on whom they pay... I see that every day - my work place is on AARNet and routing to many sites that I regularly access from both home and work is completely different. Particularly if they are overseas...

Finally, traceroute is not the best tool for such a testing anyway as many routers block ICMP traffic...
DISCLAIMER: I do not work for Telstra or any other ISP. I never did. I have wealth of practical knowledge in Computer Security and Forensic Computing. I have been in the field since 1985.

Likes (formerly Kudos) and solutions are appreciated!!!
The comments expressed by me reflect my user experience and personal opinion.
girds7
Level 1: Cadet

Perth to singapore routing

Still experiencing high latency to singapore servers even though according to vocus the SMW3 has been repaired a month ago. tracert shows it routing to the opposite way from perth to sydney and via hong kong and usa.

Are we able to get this sorted?

I am a Telstra Employee but participate in the forum on my own time, my opinions are my own and don't necessarily represent my employer
coballes19

Yes. I'm aware of all this. However, I just thought that since there are claims of cables going down, I assume there is information somewhere. One guy said Reach was listing a submarine cable fault somewhere but don't know where that info is.

Besides, the whole Asian sea cable network is huge. It should take a widespread cable breakage to force Telstra to purposely route traffic to countries like Thailand, Singapore or Malaysia, all the way to US when SMW3 is fully functional. And if so, I doubt such breakage incident would not go public.

But for all the whining, part of me hopes this IS actually just a cable breakage somewhere. Cause then there's a chance it'll get fixed in a foreseeable time. If this was Telstra's deliberate change in network or a screw up somewhere, I may not end up with a good connection like I had back then, for a long time, if any at all.

Home Broadband Bundle

$99 Entertainment Bundle. Unlimited Data and Entertainment.

Find out more