CrowdSupport®
EdRa
Level 1: Cadet

Cutting over from Copper Landline Phone/Telstra Cable Internet to NBN FTTC

Cut over yesterday - old land line phone working fine (now on VOIP I believe) - but only two blue lights on NBN FTTC device ie Power Light and Connection Light, hence no Home Broadband via NBN physical path. If the Telstra Smart Modem did not have a Mobile Back-up SIM I would have no Internet access at all (5Mb/s, was 100+Mb/s on Cable). Rang for support - what a joke that is - straight to India and no clue but turning things on and off, re-set buttons etc - finally made appointment for a Tech visit on 29/7/19. Has anyone else had problems with this sort of changeover?

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
7 REPLIES 7
Level 25: The Singularity

Re: Cutting over from Copper Landline Phone/Telstra Cable Internet to NBN FTTC

Have you plugged the phone into the modem, or is it plugged directly in to the wall?

If it's plugged in to the wall and is working, then you definitely haven't been cut over to the NBN.

Never be afraid to back yourself when trying new things, just always make sure you have 3 escape routes if things go wrong.
EdRa

My phone is plugged into the Telstra Smart Modem. The NBN connection device is plugged into the new wall socket I had installed yesterday ($160 to get it where it was needed next to the Smart TV, IQ4 Box, Telstra TV Box etc etc). The landline phone was working on the copper line on Monday morning but by Tuesday was dead as far as the phone was concerned, obviously cut over to the NBN street device or so I presume as the phone is once again working but now via the NBN connection.     

What lights are you getting on the Telstra Modem?

Can you log in to the modem and post the Broadband Connection Status stats as well? It might give us a clue as to what's happening.

If there is no connection to the FTTC device in the street, then the modem should fall back to LTE mode, which will allow the phone to work (internet should also work in that case - at max 6/1).

Never be afraid to back yourself when trying new things, just always make sure you have 3 escape routes if things go wrong.
Level 24: Supreme Being
Level 24: Supreme Being

If DSL light is off on the NCD then there is nothing you can do except check that nothing is plugged into any spare phone sockets and wait for visit from Technician.

EdRa

Yes - no DSL light - only other socket in house clear - I guess I will have to wait as you suggest. Thank you for your help.

EdRa

Sorry, got sidetracked - can't even get photos off my android phone onto my MAC via Bluetooth or Android File Transfer today. Anyway all 5 lights in a row on Smart Modem are green and yes my Internet is running via the Wireless connection of that Smart Modem at 5/1 Mb/s at the moment.

No DSL light on NBN connection device so I'll have to wait for the Tech visit. Thanks for your help.

Highlighted
Support Team
Support Team

Thanks for the update @EdRa.

Don't hesitate to let us know how the tech visit goes. 

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

All moderation actions are supported by the CrowdSupport Community Guidelines

Telstra Smart Modem

Plug in and connect in minutes. Smart.

Find out more
Find out more about the Telstra 24x7 App ×
Manage your services and take advantage of offers while you’re out and about with the Telstra 24x7® App Find out more
Earn points on our new rewards program and enjoy tier benefits like discounted movie tickets and moreFind out more

Need a hand or want to share your expertise?
Register for CrowdSupport and get involved

Register now