CrowdSupport®
Highlighted
Jacw01
Level 2: Rookie

DJA0230 wifi not connecting to Galaxy S7

Hi,

We recently switched from ADSL2+ to NBN and with that we recieved a new DJA0230 smart modem. I had this modem running on our ADSL for a couple of weeks before the switch and all our mobile devices and wifi routers connected with no issues at all. Now that the NBN switch has happened my wifi router (netgear R7000P) won't connect to the internet and neither will any of my Samsung Galaxy S7's (which we have 3 of). The galaxy's all have a little exclamation mark in the wifi symbol and the wifi router can be seen on the gateway but simply has no internet connection, on the other hand my kids ipads have no issues connecting to the smart modem at all.

I have tried a lot of things to try and get these devices to work but haven't had any luck so if anyone can help that would be appreciated

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
8 REPLIES 8
Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Re: DJA0230 wifi not connecting to Galaxy S7

Hi Jacw01, 

Are you able to let us know what you have already tried so we don't double up with our suggestions?

Having said that the first thing I would recommend is that you try resetting your Telstra Smart Modem back to it's factory default settings and then try reconnecting all your devices.

To do this get a paperclip, or something similar, and press and hold it into the reset hole, located on the front on the device underneath the power button. Keep it pressed in for 15 seconds. Give it 2-5 minutes to reconnect to the internet. 

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

All moderation actions are supported by the CrowdSupport Community Guidelines

Jacw01

Hi Kenobi,

I haven't tried a factory reset but i have tried rebooting the modem several times and clearing my WiFi list on the S7 and reconnecting. I have changed the nighthawk to an access point and that is now transmitting with good speeds but again the samsungs through both the telstra modem and the nighthawk come up saying internet may not available. I'm guessing it may be a samsung issue as I have tested 2 ipads and a friends oppo phone and they connected seamlessly. We even had the oppo connected to our wifi and then hotspotted it to the S7 and the S7's connection worked really well

Level 24: Supreme Being

There have been several other post were Samsung devices including Samsung Smart TVs have been unable to connect to the internet via the NBN so your assumption that it could be Samsung problem is probably correct. In one post the problem was solved by replacing the Telstra Smart Modem with the TG797.
Have you tried using the Smart Modem in Bridge mode and re configuring the Nigthawk as a router and connecting all devices to Nigthawk?
Jacw01

No I haven't but I will and let you know how I go

Turn off WiFi on Smart Modem before putting it in Bridge Mode. If WiFi is left on one of your WiFi devices could grab the one available public IP address.
Set Nigthawk for Internet connection without login page 23 of manual.
https://www.downloads.netgear.com/files/GDC/R7000/R7000_UM_10Oct13.pdf
Jacw01

Thanks cf4.

That does seem to solve my wifi problem with the samsungs but with the smart modem in bridge mode I seem to have lost my landline (which runs through the smart modem). Is it a case of having my wifi problem fixed and no landline, or having a landline and keeping the wifi problem?

What type of NBN do you have? If its not FTTB or FTTN you could connect the Nighthawk directly to the NBN box, do a factory reset on the Smart modem so that it is in normal mode and connect its WAN port to one of the LAN ports on Nighthawk. Connect all devices to the Nighthawk and use the Smart Modem as a VOIP ATA only.
If you have an FTTB or FTTN connection the only solution is buy your own VDSL modem or to wait for Telstra to receive enough complaints about the problem that they investigate and fix the problem with updated firmware for the Telstra Smart Modem.

In other post people have tried various settings in the Smart modem with no success.

Jacw01

We have FTTN so I think we prefer being able to use the wifi over having the landline and hopefully the smart modem gets updated soon.

Thanks very much for your help cf4

Set it & forget it

With direct debit there’s no need to give paying your bill another thought.

Avoid queuing up and never worry about late fees again.

Setup direct debit
Find out more about the Telstra 24x7 App and direct debit ×
Manage your services and take advantage of offers while you’re out and about with the Telstra 24x7® App Find out more

Avoid queueing up and never worry about late fees againSet up direct debit

Need a hand or want to share your expertise?
Register for CrowdSupport and get involved

Register now