CrowdSupport®
Level 2: Rookie

DNS Errors and internet slow loading

Hi,

I am having a recurring issue, let me explain.

We have 2 separate ADSL2 phone lines into our house. One works fine, the other does not.

For the one with issues, it was working fine for a couple of years. About 2 months ago, web pages started not loading, and the auto-diagnose on internet explorer advised DNS errors. We also had drop-outs on the line.

Rang support, they sent out a technician and the drop-outs fixed , and the DNS errors even went away for a couple of days, but have returned on a sporadic basis ( say once every half hour at least ). These DNS errors means if I open a popular website such as facebook or news, the page will not load for the first 7 attempts, but then load normally on the 7th try. Almost like there is a sporadic connection issue.

I tried to ask chat support on numerous occassions, but the dance involving re-setting the router and going through the same trouble shooting techniques wears very thin, very fast.

The Telstra technician who fixed the drop-outs advised that it may be a power issue at the exchange, but did not elaborate.

To give you an overview, we purchased a new modem, with no improvement, the ADSL line it is on is a dedicated line with no phone or fax attached, and no security system installed. ( plus the other line we have works fine )

My computer is new, we reverted to the old modem that was working fine for years, and is a Netgear DG834G V3 with upgraded firmware. Running windows 8.1 with all updates. I use IE9 for browsing as well as chrome, but the issue is with both.

I don't mind paying for a resolution, but I feel this is a ISP issue as our other line works fine.

Any assistance appreciated, if any specs are needed, please let me know what can assist with problem resolution.

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
6 REPLIES 6
Highlighted
Support Team
Support Team

Re: DNS Errors and internet slow loading

Hi Winto, 

My understanding is that the two lines should perform similar (regardless of provider), as they would come through at a similar distance, from the same exchange. 

I will flag this with our tech team (who are not in over the weekend) to get back to you and help follow up Smiley Happy

Ivan

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

All moderation actions are supported by the CrowdSupport Community Guidelines

Highlighted
Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Hi Winto,

As it is entirely possible for  two neighbouring ADSL services (or in the same house) to be connect to two completely different ADSL DSLAMs [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Digital_subscriber_line_access_multiplexer], it is entirely possible that there is a problem in the exchange that affects one service but not the other.

If you swap the modems and the issue continues on the one service, then this will definitely need another technician out to investigate further, and this can be done by contacting Tech Support on 133 933 or via https://livechat.telstra.com/

- Shelly

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

Highlighted

Thankyou, I have indeed tried the modem swapping over without change.

It is getting worse, and more prominent at peak times such as 6pm on a weeknight.

I will discuss with tech support.

Highlighted
Level 1: Cadet

I respect that it is cheaper to provide phone support from an overseas destination, but I expect better as a paying customer.

I started with the chat support, i linked this website and specifically this thread.

The "technician" Leah advised they could not load the web page, so I cut and pasted the relevant posts.

They then advised me to do a factory reset on the modem and to change my password to fix the errors. I advised that doing this would lose my internet connection and stop the chatting process, so they took my number.

After 15 minutes , I had completed a full factory reset of the modem, and wait for it.... got another DNS error.

The "technician" then rang to advise that it appears fine, which is really good, I am glad it is fixed from their end. However, meanwhile in the real world, I am having DNS errors.

I am concerned that this is not being fixed, the processes I am going through have already been done previously without fixing the issue. 

I need some direction on how I can access someone within Telstra that can look at the issue and provide a solution.

Highlighted
Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Hi sjw1, 

If you have gone through the troubleshooting with our Tech Support Team  and are still getting the error, they should organise a Technician to go out an check the exchange.  If this wasn't done I would recommend calling our Tech Support team again and logging a fault so it can be done.

- Ben D

Highlighted

To assist future users, i had to go away for a couple of days, but I got a call from a technician who advised he changed my port, refreshed the lines and also moved the line a couple of kilometres closer to the exchange.

The summary is:

- no more DNS errors

- No drop-outs

- Speed has doubled ( both upload and download )

Thankyou.

Set it & forget it

With direct debit there’s no need to give paying your bill another thought.

Avoid queuing up and never worry about late fees again.

Setup direct debit