Highlighted
MedoMisha
Level 3: Gumshoe

DNS & Latency DSL2+

Answered

Recently moved address, next door after selling home. We had landline and DSL services relocated to our temp address. Since move latency has been terrible at times and DNS not resolving for multiple sites. I have a VPN back to work office and connection via VPN works a treat suggesting there is some issue with DNS. We are currently using Telstra smart modem and DNS is locked down, unable to change. I have been through both support levels and have been advised there may be a premium team that could assist. Any suggestions/help would be appreciated.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Telstra Platinum
Telstra Platinum
Accepted Solution Solution Verified by Telstra

Re: DNS & Latency DSL2+

Hi all,

The cause of the issue has been found. The static IP was the issue and as such, has been removed.

Reasoning it can be cause, when moving from one house to another with an ADSL service (may apply to a NBN connection too but we cannot confirm), there is a very high chance (99% of the time) that you will be connected to a different port or card in the exchange. From there, from what we understand, the routing table within the DNS becomes incorrect and as such is having to go leaps and bounds trying to get the data back to the correct location. This causes slow internet connections and poor latency until the DNS settings are updated on the devices which then resolves the issue on individual devices but not all of them.

If you have this issue, please contact the Telstra Billing team on 132 200 and request that it be removed or if it is required, please contact the Bigpond Technical Support team on 132 203 and lodge a fault regarding the Static IP.

Jordan

Telstra Platinum Tech Support

Telstra Platinum

---------------------------------------
I am a Telstra Platinum employee and I do phone and live chat support for all issues like this one here.
Want one of our Telstra Platinum experts to solve this problem for you? One call to Telstra Platinum could help you with similar tech issues rather than trying to do it yourself. Click through to learn more about Telstra Platinum

https://www.telstra.com.au/platinum-technical-support

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
21 REPLIES 21
Level 22: Superhuman
Level 22: Superhuman

On your computers you can set the DNS servers manually. Googles primarily 8.8.8.8 and secondly 8.8.4.4 are popular ones to use.
For Official Support start a Secure Chat , try the Online Troubleshooter, Outage Check or Complaint.

Full Disclosure as part of Telstras Social Media Code.

MedoMisha

I am quite aware of that, but that then extends to multiple iOS devices and the kids gaming consoles. I had none of these issues next door. : )
Level 24: Supreme Being

If you have problems with latency and DNS not resolving there might be a problem with your connection. Both locations would have used the same DNS server unless you were using a custom DNS setting in your old modem.

Could you post the DSL diagnostics of your modem. They are located here.

http://192.168.0.1 > Advanced > Broadband > DSL Diagnostics

Telstra Platinum
Telstra Platinum

Hi MedoMisha,
For the sake of testing, can you please try and change DNS server within the Modem itself.

• To do this, please open a web browser and go to http://10.0.0.138.
  • Once the page loads, please click on advanced on the top right of the page.
  • In here, click on "Local Network" then in the pop up window, look below DHCP settings. The last option is DNS server. This will change it for all devices on your network.
  • Please set it to Cloudflare's new DNS of 1.1.1.1 and click on Save.
  • Reboot your Telstra Modem and the devices that you cannot change/update the settings for to make sure they all get the new settings.

Let us know how you go and if there is any more concerns, don't hesitate to check out Telstra Platinum using the link below or by clicking here Smiley Happy

Jordan

Telstra Platinum

I am a Telstra Platinum employee and I do phone and live chat support for all issues like this one here.
Want one of our Telstra Platinum experts to solve this problem for you? One call to Telstra Platinum could help you with similar tech issues rather than trying to do it yourself. Click through to learn more about Telstra Platinum

The Smart Modem has a IP address of http://192.168.0.1

Telstra Platinum
Telstra Platinum

Hi cf4,

Thanks for that. Previous versions of the Telstra Smart Modem like the Gateway Frontier had used http://10.0.0.138.

We'll await the update from the OP.

Jordan

Telstra Platinum

@MedoMisha

On the Telstra Frontier which has a similar GUI to the Telstra Smart Modems any custom the DNS settings set in Advanced > Local Network > DNS server

were only effective when the tick was removed from "Local network Pv6"

Suggest you disable "Local Network IPv6" if setting custom DNS server in gateway.

New setting will only take effect once all devices are disconnected and then reconnected.

I have also discovered a bug. Sometimes when disabling IPv6 all devices lose internet access. They can still access GUI of gateway but can't access internet. If this happens either restart gateway or else disconnect all connected devices (There needs to be a period of time when no devices are connect to gateway) and the reconnect the devices.

MedoMisha

Connection died and have spent 3hrs on the phone trying to resolve - no luck. Tech scheduled for onsite visit at the end of the week. Tech support seem to think internal network related issue, but I very much doubt that. I have pulled DSL cable and Smart modem failover has kicked in and all functions without issue, including internal network (MikroTik routers).
MedoMisha

Hi, I am using Telstra smart modem and web based GUI is accessed via different subnet - 192.168.0.1 DNS option is blank/locked out.
MedoMisha

Correct : )
MedoMisha

I have come across similar issues with a couple of MikroTik routers in our office. I will try this now and report back.
MedoMisha

Hi JordanW12,
I tried above and no joy. My service includes a static IP, so I'm wondering maybe that has something to do with the outage/issue - as a result of the move. Failover to 4G works without issue on my entire internal network.
Telstra Platinum
Telstra Platinum

Hi MedoMisha,

If the service is on the 4G backup/failover, it will appear slower than a normal fixed line service as it is limited to only 6Mbps download speeds and this will also effect the ping/latency of the connection.

There is a very good chance that the internet issue you're experiencing on the fixed line service is being caused by the move. The Static IP should not be a cause of any part of this however.

Jordan

Telstra Platinum

MedoMisha

Hi Jordan,

I completely agree, but they keep closing the support tickets and a technician is being sent out to investigate my network at my cost. Any assistance from your office would be greatly appreciated. I have no issue with the 4G failover service as it runs as expected.

Thanks,

Alen

You will only be charged if the problem is with your local network or incorrect house wiring beyond the first phone socket.

MedoMisha

Hi cf4,

There is no issue with the internal network and only phone socket being used is the one that enters the home. I doubt phone point is faulty as I know the previous owner and have already discussed wiring etc. The home network works as it did next door and no issues when on 4G failover service.
Telstra Platinum
Telstra Platinum

Hi Alen,

Thanks for your patience so far. It's great to hear the 4G backup is doing its job.

Regarding the fault that you've got in play, can you please send me a private message with some account information and a best contact time so I can work on this one for you? Special notes may be required to get the issue properly investigated or just another set of eyes could find the solution and provide you the information you need to resolve the issue.

Just to note: Have you factory reset your modem as of yet to confirm it's not a firmware fault?

Jordan

Telstra Platinum

MedoMisha

Hi Jordan,

I will message you with account info - appreciate your assistance.

Factory reset attempted and also direct substitution with other vendor modem. No issue with line sync etc, but no traffic passing via connection on other modem. Tried different phone cable and filter, problem persists.

Many thanks,

Alen
MedoMisha

Hi Jordan,

I have attempted to private message you, but feature at your end is disabled - cant send.

Thanks,

Alen
Telstra Platinum
Telstra Platinum

I've just sent one to you. I hope it works for you.

Jordan

Telstra Platinum

Telstra Platinum
Telstra Platinum
Accepted Solution Solution Verified by Telstra

Hi all,

The cause of the issue has been found. The static IP was the issue and as such, has been removed.

Reasoning it can be cause, when moving from one house to another with an ADSL service (may apply to a NBN connection too but we cannot confirm), there is a very high chance (99% of the time) that you will be connected to a different port or card in the exchange. From there, from what we understand, the routing table within the DNS becomes incorrect and as such is having to go leaps and bounds trying to get the data back to the correct location. This causes slow internet connections and poor latency until the DNS settings are updated on the devices which then resolves the issue on individual devices but not all of them.

If you have this issue, please contact the Telstra Billing team on 132 200 and request that it be removed or if it is required, please contact the Bigpond Technical Support team on 132 203 and lodge a fault regarding the Static IP.

Jordan

Telstra Platinum

Telstra Smart Modem

Plug in and connect in minutes. Smart.

Find out more
Find out more about the Telstra 24x7 App ×
Manage your services and take advantage of offers while you’re out and about with the Telstra 24x7® App Download now
Earn points on our new rewards program and enjoy tier benefits like discounted movie tickets and moreFind out more

Need a hand or want to share your expertise?
Register for CrowdSupport and get involved

Register now