Highlighted
mlammerse
Level 1: Cadet

DNS resolution issues | Squarespace & Godaddy

Hi All,

I have a DNS domain hosted with Godaddy and a Squarespace website which runs my business. 

I've found that the Telstra domain server is regularly unable to resolve my domain, which suggests that there is a problem updating the .com zone file between Telstra and the larger Internet.

For example, when I try to resolve my domain using the Google DNS, I get the correct response:

C:\Users\lammerse>nslookup
Default Server: telstra.gateway
Address: 10.0.0.138

> server 8.8.8.8
Default Server: google-public-dns-a.google.com
Address: 8.8.8.8

> marcellammerse.com
Server: google-public-dns-a.google.com
Address: 8.8.8.8

Non-authoritative answer:
Name: marcellammerse.com
Addresses: 198.49.23.144

>

But when I try the Telstra VIC DNS (or any other Telstra DNS server for that matter), I get:

C:\Users\lammerse>nslookup
Default Server: telstra.gateway
Address: 10.0.0.138

> server 61.9.133.193
Default Server: dns-cust.lon.bigpond.net.au
Address: 61.9.133.193

> marcellammerse.com
Server: dns-cust.lon.bigpond.net.au

*** dns-cust.lon.bigpond.net.au can't find marcellammerse.com: Server failed
> cisco.com.
Server: dns-cust.lon.bigpond.net.au

Non-authoritative answer:
Name: cisco.com
Addresses: 2001:420:1101:1::a

>

This behavior is intermittent. It was working fine until yesterday, but after doing some work on the website itself, it now seems to have stopped working. I have not touched any DNS settings or configurations.

This is very frustrating as you can imagine.

Has anyone seen this before? And what would be the quickest way to resolve this?

Kind regards,

Marcel

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
6 REPLIES 6
Ted009

Re: DNS resolution issues | Squarespace & Godaddy

Hi Marcel

We have had the same issue with one (our own) GoDaddy site and its been ongoing since early November.  Ran many many tests - flushed the computer cache checked everything.  A Telstra technician came out to check the problem and could replicate it but said he did not have the technical knowldge to fix the problem, but replaced our modem and sent the problem to another technician who did not call back.

Finally Telstra ran a program last week to clear their cache/nodes and the problem resolved but it has returned again after a few days following a severe storm and power outage in Brisbane.  We have spoken to Telstra seven times and had great diffiuclty getting anyone to call us back although they assure us that they will.

Tickets get raised we wait 4 or 5 days for a call and then the ticket is closed even though the problem is not fixed - we have had to repeat the same details and same tests each time we call. Their level 2 support staff do not call back. We have now had to lodge a formal complaint.

They only solution we have to get around it has been to use an OPTUS dongle. 

regards

Ted

Support Team
Support Team

Hi Ted009, 

Im sorry to hear that you have had troubles in getting this resolved. 

You will need to chat to our Domains support to get assistance with this. You can contact support on:

Bigpond Domains support - 1800 002 609

Telstra Domains support - 1800 729 563

Regards - 

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today
Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Kudo to the member(s) who helped you out

All moderation actions are supported by the CrowdSupport Community Guidelines

Ted009

Thank you Tom

We will see if we can finally resolve the problem via these numbers or via the case manager in complaints.

Unfortunately the worst issue for us has been the handling of technical issues via your outsourcing provider.  Telstra needs to review the process that is in place as the caller is cycled around and around without them taking ownership of the problem and following it through to resolution.

best regards

Ted009

Support Team
Support Team

Thanks Ted009,

I can appreciate your frustration and disappointment at the way you have been treated and this is certainly not the way we want you to feel when you are wanting purchase any Telstra service. Thankyou for taking the time to provide us with your valuable your feedback on your experience.

Let us know how you go. 

Regards - 

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today
Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Kudo to the member(s) who helped you out

Ted009

Thanks again Tom

We tried those numbers and they did not want to handle the problem as tehy are Web Central - their advice was we had to go back to GoDaddy despite advising them that Telstra know it is a problem with their servers and their server team said they would not hande the problem unless it came through the complaints team or had been escalated via the process we have already twice accessed - aka level 2 - who do not call back.

We will have to wait for Telstra complaints case manager  to call.

best regards

Ted009  

Support Team
Support Team

No worries Ted. 

In that case the case manager will be the next step in getting this resolved. Please keep us appraised here on crowd support once they have contacted you. 

Regards - Tom

Telstra Smart Modem

Plug in and connect in minutes. Smart.

Find out more
Find out more about the Telstra 24x7 App ×
Manage your services and take advantage of offers while you’re out and about with the Telstra 24x7® App Download now
Earn points on our new rewards program and enjoy tier benefits like discounted movie tickets and moreFind out more

Need a hand or want to share your expertise?
Register for CrowdSupport and get involved

Register now