CrowdSupport®
Djanna
Level 3: Gumshoe

DNS server not responding - Telstra Technical Support incompetent.

Answered

I have switched from Internode to Telstra cable ( my mistake) 6-7 months ago. I have received my first modem literally the following day, everything happened so quick, I was very impressed. However once set up things were not running as smoothly. After numerous conversations with technical support from Manila, Philippines that sometimes do not even understand what you tell them, I had enough and rang through to Sales. Amazingly Smiley Frustrated I got to speak to person from Australia that speaks perfect English who simply looked at the account and told me they had put me on the plan that wasn't compatible with cable 3.0 hence all my problems, sent the new modem out, changed the plan and my issues fixed. 

Just to be clear, English is not my first language either, and I don't say any of the above to be mean, but simply stating that I live in an English speaking country where thousands of people would like a job and all our jobs go overseas coz it costs big companies less, and in meantime we pay for the service we can't get from someone who doesn't understand a word you tell them. 

Anyway back to my problem. 

Since then I had an error in windows diagnosis " DNS server not responding ". I was still able to use the net so I didn't bother ringing Telstra about it as I really wasn't looking forward to speaking to technical support as they do very little of supporting.  

3 weeks ago I have finally decided that I would give them a call as this was starting to really bug me, dropping me out of game servers, not able to open any new sites, and ones previously visited would take forever to open.  
The very first day I called them I spent 4 hours of my Sunday on the phone to them, along with my monthly budget of credit on my mobile and have rebooted and unplugged my modem out of the wall socket more times I can count. I have had responses such as " well you are connected to the net, so there is no issue, there is nothing for us to do" to being hung up on, transferred from one department to other with no one coming even close to resolving my issue.  

So as their customer trying to help them out ( yet I pay them Smiley Frustrated ), I have pointed them to what I think the problem is as I discovered it by doing my own research. DNS primary server address and secondary server address are switched the other way around in my modem settings. Now if it wasn't Netgear CG3100 I could very well change these settings my self, I could also set it manually from my own PC, however doing that it doesn't work at all and I still get the same issue. Imagine the delight of technical support person, at least now they know what may be the problem, so of course they come up with the solution. " We will send you a new modem with correct settings and all your problems will go away " I did try to tell them that it won't solve the issue but after about 18 people I spoke to I had enough and thought oh well lets see what happens.  

So the new modem comes, settings still wrong, same issue of course. Another call to Telstra, another 10 people, same old troubleshooting, and finally they have found the solution. They are going to send me a new modem!!!!! Amazing. 

For the last week I did however get to speak to one person at Telstra who has tried everything he could think of to try and help me out ( Andrew, Townsville, Faults department ) but he is having as much luck getting support from his own company as I am as a customer. He is still following up and trying his best but hitting the brick walls. But he is 1 out 28 people that didn't pass me on to some other random department and is genuinely trying to find someone who can help me as he can't. ( he should get a payrise and a promotion ) 

So here I am, still with my issue, 4th modem on it's way and no one at Telstra doesn't seem to comprehend that it won't fix the issue.  

I am not a computer viz, but not totally computer illiterate either, so I am going to combine what I know and what I can draw as a logical conclusion. If we go through all the troubleshooting and everything is configured correctly at my end, if I connect my phone to the modem via WiFi and I seem to be having the same issue, I think we can eliminate my pc as a problem. If manually configuring DNS server addresses on my PC, or even selecting static instead of dynamic on my modem and entering all these values manually ( I don't even think static is supposed to be selected for cable connections,.. ) and all of this gets still overwritten by the DNS server addresses already pre configured, does this not tell you that there is no issue with the modem either, and these settings are drawn from network settings linked to my account somewhere. Sending me new modem every time I ring will only make me start selling them on ebay as it definitely won't fix any of my issues.  And if someone switched them around, then they have got to be able to switch them back? I don't really know how it all works but I am certain that someone at Telstra knows how to change this to what it should be? Anyone?  

I am not even sure that switching DNS server addresses will actually completely solve my issue as Victoria and NSW have the same ones, only the other way around. My modem settings are set for Victoria even though I live in Sydney, NSW. I still shouldn't have as much of a problem as I do but it definitely contributes to my latency issue. Since no one at Telstra could be bothered to actually look into this further it's the only thing I could find from my end that didn't look right, so I asked for it to be fixed and I don't even know if it will fix it at the end. 

Simple:  

Victoria  
Primary DNS Server address 61.9.195.193 
Secondary DNS Server address 61.9.194.49 

NSW 
Primary DNS Server address 61.9.194.49 
Secondary DNS Server address 61.9.195.193 

Switch it around for God's sake! 

Frustrated! Finished venting now.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Level 22: Superhuman
Accepted Solution

Re: DNS server not responding - Telstra Technical Support incompetent.

Try the last half of this page:

http://www.thewindowsclub.com/fix-dns-server-not-responding-on-windows-7

Or look here:

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_7-networking/dns-server-not-responding-recu...

wierd stuff.

Have you tried putting your PC in the DMZ of your router?

If I've helped in some way, a Kudos would be appreciated.
Any opinions I express or advice I give are purely my own, and don't represent Telstra.

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
17 REPLIES 17

I really doubt it's the DNS that is giving you lag, but let's proceed on that assumption

Changing modems isn't going to do it, I beleive.

If you get no better results when you manually configure your PC to get it's DNS from a different source than the modem, it's not going to help.

DNS will have llittle or nothing to do with latency issues.

Assuming you are on cable,  have a look here, especially at the bottom 50% of the page.

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/robin.d.h.walker/cmtips/latency.html

hope this helps.

Any opinions I express or advice I give are purely my own, and don't represent Telstra.

Djanna

I don’t believe that DNS is causing much of an issue with the latency either, that’s why I said it may contribute but obviously wouldn’t be the only factor.

The lag is also not my issue with this. It’s the drop outs, not being able to open the pages I haven’t been on before, or loading up a page forever if I have been on it previously.

All I know is that I get the error message saying that DNS server is not responding, that DNS server settings in the modem itself are set incorrectly, by Telstra, and no one in Telstra knows how to fix it. Which is pathetic.

Last night I had the response “ I don’t have sufficient training to help …..” Seriously? Firstly, I do believe they don’t have sufficient training coz you either have common sense or not, can’t train that. Secondly, surely there is a department at Telstra that looks after this yet no one seems to know who or where they are. I was also told by this very well trained staff to contact Netgear as they preconfigure their modems too,..lol. That is my problem. Incompetence.

I thought about cancelling this account all together and going elsewhere, but I am not going to do it, as they cannot blame any of this on anything but their own incompetence and I will ask for credit for every day they leave these settings as they are. I have already gotten one and I’ll keep on doing it until they take me seriously.

I appreciate you trying to help, but I don’t need a lesson on latency, as a gamer I know enough about it, but I also don’t really need to know about all this stuff anyway as I pay my bills that entitle me to technical support that doesn’t seem to exist in Telstra. I don’t mean to be bitchy to you at all I am just over Telstra and the bs. Sorry L

What happens when you manually configure your PC to use an alternate DNS?

IE, do you get DNS servers not responding, do your webpages fail to open etc.

(don't forget to do a ipconfig /flushdns).

Djanna

Ummm, if I manually configure it , it works for about a split second, but then it's back to DNS server not responding error msg. If I set it to open DNS server addy it doesn't work at all. I did flush dns, but it still doesn't work. I honestly don't know much about this at all, only what logic tells me. And if 3 modems I have so far received are all on the wrong settings, and if I can't at all manually change these settings, not in my PC not in the modem it self, surely this is set somewhere on the network? I just can't find anyone at Telstra that actually knows who to go to about this. There is one guy that's really trying to help and his next course of action is to send the tech out. I am not sure how much that will help as I strongly believe that the fault is at their end and can be fixed remotely but obviosuly it's a bigger issue for Telstra than I imagine it to be,... more than anything I am so interested in how this plays out, it's quite puzzling,... I have had 7 techs from Telstra login to my PC and checked everything over and over again and it's fine at my end. I even said I would buy a new modem that allows for these changes to be made, as CG3100 isn't that user friendly and is quite locked down, but logic tells me that I will face the same problem regardless as these settings are so obviously linked to the network and the account. Am I wrong thinking that?

Accepted Solution

Try the last half of this page:

Or look here:

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_7-networking/dns-server-not-responding-recu...

wierd stuff.

Have you tried putting your PC in the DMZ of your router?

Djanna

No word of a lie, over the last 3-4 weeks I have spoken to over 30 people in Telstra.

From general technical support, to second level technical support, every faults department in Telstra.

I was referred to Telstra Plus and I also have a tech coming out on Tuesday to attempt to try fixing this.

I will cancel that appointment now.

Fixed.

If you are interested, changing the physical address is what fixed it as per your link. I tried open dns addresses before but then it wouldn't connect me at all. However, setting the physical address in the network address of the adapter along with open dns addy seemed to do the trick.

Wanglese I think I love you Smiley Happy Thank you so so so much!!!!

Highlighted

OK, Brilliant.

Can you detail the steps so it can maybe go into a knowledge based article for future reference?

Don't forget to mark this thread "Solved"

I didn't solve it, merely pointed you to possible fixes, you did the rest yourself.

Sad really that Telstra support can't do the same thing, but then I've been dealing with TCP/IP issues since the 80's, and Im almost ashmaed to say I can often read a protocol packet without translation.

There really does need to be a higher level of support. I once asked a Help desk person for support (there was a misconfigured device on the Telstra network), and asked them to do a traceroute to prove it to them, and the response was "What's traceroute?".

BTW, when it was fixed (two weeks after I had put in the support request), and I rang up to ask them what the solution was, the support person said "It was technical" LOL.

Djanna

I still love you!!!!

The steps were exactly as the steps on the link you found. 

The steps are very easy to follow on the above.

The only thing I skipped was changing the dns server addresses in the modem it self, only because CG3100 doesn't allow me to change it. 

I am not sure why, but manually entering open DNS server addresses in my PC alone wouldn't work at all. I would completely lose the connection. However entering the Physical address in the network adapter settings did the trick. Steps copied over below:

Next step is entering the Physical address in the Network adapter setting

• Go to Start and type in CMD and Hit Enter
  • In command prompt type in IPCONFIG /ALL
  • Then look for your network adapter

51 600x194 FIX: DNS Server is not responding on Windows 7

• Then right down the Physical address according to this screenshot it’s 78-DD-08-F1-DF-B0
  • Then go to Start and type in NCPA.CPL
  • Then Right Click on your Network adapter and go to Properties

61 FIX: DNS Server is not responding on Windows 7

• Then select Configure

7 FIX: DNS Server is not responding on Windows 7

• Then Click on Advance Tab and select Network address
  • Select the radial button Value
  • Type in the physical address you wrote down before
  • i.e. 78-DD-08-F1-DF-B0 (Remove the dashes when you type in i.e. 78DD08F1DFB0
  • Then Click Ok and Reboot the System

Technical support in Telstra lacks the training and really needs to invest more into that. I hate calling them coz I know I won't get anywhere by doing so. I am glad I tend to try to fix my own issues by doing my own research and looking things up, even more glad I stumbled across this forum and found you!

LOL at the "What's traceroute?",... I've had some classics too. But hey at least it's good for the entertainment value Smiley Tongue

Thanks again, I know you think you didn't solve it but you took time, looked it up and found that fix for me Smiley Happy You should work in Telstra tech support, that would be the step in the right direction for them Smiley Happy

Ben_F
Community Alumni (Retired)

Djanna, what you listed is beyond the knowledge I had as a Tier 3 Support staff member for another ISP (specifically the MAC address stuff), and something that I've just found out.

Kudos for the knowledge Smiley Very Happy

----------------------------

New Users - Click Here!

Djanna

Heya Ben,

I understand that, and I really wouldn't expect them to know it either. No one knows everything. I was more than happy to troubleshoot with them and do the research, it's the "that's too hard" attitude that gets me with Telstra. So annoying. I solved my issue, but their DNS server addresses are still not working and no one is gonna bother to fix it. Instead, they give you the standard " but your net is working" and refer you back to terms and conditions which they hide behind every time there is an issue. No one is disputing the terms and conditions. I have a problem, please help me fix it. And if it can't be fixed it's time to explore other options. But you have to get really lucky to find someone who is like you or me that is actually interested to know what the problem is and values that bit of extra knowledge Smiley Happy

Djanna

Smiley Happy

helplessdesk
Level 1: Cadet

The bigpond helpdesk unfortuantely are driven by statistics & told not ot escalate because it affects their stats.

Having said that the first line helpdesk also isnt technically trained but are only monkeys following provided scripts.

Bigpond has always had problems with their DNS servers.

I found the same problem years ago & tried to tell bigpond they have DNS problems AND they didnt know what i was talking about or who to contact.  Fancy that an ISP helpdesk not knowing what DNS servers are...

Their DNS servers arent setup properly and have a very slow update/refresh rate that causes problems with opening new web pages & gaming especially ( im also a gamer).

I setup a 3G mobile USB broadband service on my own router so was able to change the DNS servers.

It is also strange that I setup using Telstra business DNS servers addresses and didnt have any problems after that. it seems only the standard bigpond customer DNS servers are the problem.

Its unfortuante that bigpond stop users from editing settings in their modems because they use "standard" settings that may not always work.

so "its not just you" as they say -- Bigpond DNS servers suck big time.

jcdoig

Hi I know I'm a bit late on this issue but ive got it too they sent a tech who said he would send the info to tech support  as he could not fix it - their response (Tech Support) is below

I don't want to bridge my connection I just need my inverter to be able to use a DNS - apart from ignoring the DNS problem do they expect us to buy their routers then throw them away with a replacement that they will not allow on their network??? My adapter at present does not allow me to configure the network address so may have to get a new one that does. But if I can just use the bussiness DNS addresses that would be easier?

Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Hey jcdoig,

I edited your post to remove the consultants details. As you can tell, it wasn't intended to be directly sent to you. 

In regards to the issue, our modems are intended for basic use, If you're needing more complex settings, it will require custom settings within the modem which isn't supported. 

If you speak to our Telstra Platinum team, they should be able to assist with this. You can find more information on them here: https://www.telstra.com.au/connectedhome/enhancements/platinum

Brodie

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

All moderation actions are supported by the CrowdSupport Community Guidelines

jcdoig

To be honest Brodie I don't think it is a complex problem I have a solar inverter with an ethernet connection to the router it is trying to look up an address and fails due to a DNS server failure as does in windows when you troubleshoot the link. If the DNS server responded it would not be a problem.

This may be a simple view but surely after the many years of DNS problems being reported you could have resolved this??

dakeogh

Hi Djanna

you are an absolute bloody champion - i have been without emails since last night and your solution below fixed it for me. I am a Melb IT custimer so assumed it was their issue - i went into my wifi settings and changed my IP4 dns servers and cinfigured them myself and my emails came pouring in

thanks so much

JohnAdriaan

I know this is a very old post, but it contains a complete misunderstandung of what Primary and Secondary DNS Servers are, and their significance. So, for the education of others who stumble across this post:

Surfing the web would be impossible without access to DNS: it’s what converts human-readable names like “google.com” to computer-usable IP addresses like 123.21.56.182. Thus DNS is probably the most important service out there - apart from the actual carrying of data around.

So, to provide redundancy, two DNS server machines are typically configured. Their IP addresses have to be configured: if you configured their names, what service would translate that name into the IP address? And every time your computer needs to do an address translation, it contacts a DNS server to do it. If it can’t contact the Primary, it contacts the Secondary. The two servers are doing the same job, so their order doesn’t matter. In fact, it makes sense for your ISP to provide the two addresses in random order to different customers: that avoids everyone from hammering one server, leaving the other idle.

Thus the OP’s problem is that neither DNS server is responding. In that scenario, it doesn’t matter what order they’re listed. The solution, to use Google DNS (8.8.8.8 & 8.8.4.4, or indeed any other public DNS: see https://www.lifewire.com/free-and-public-dns-servers-2626062) works, simply because they’re responding.

Hey, if you really want to be clever, configure adresses from two completely unrelated DNS providers. That way, if the DNS Apocalypse comes (and it will...), you’re straddling two major providers!

JohnAdriaan

Incidentally: I just found out why the OP claims that NSW and Victoria use “opposite” Primary and Secondary DNS servers. Answer: they don’t. According to the Telstra webiste:

NSW uses 61.9.194.49 and 61.9.195.193

Victoria uses 61.9.133.193 and 61.9.134.49

While superficially they look like they’re swapped, the third number in each is different.

Telstra Smart Modem

Plug in and connect in minutes. Smart.

Find out more
Find out more about the Telstra 24x7 App ×
Manage your services and take advantage of offers while you’re out and about with the Telstra 24x7® App Find out more
Earn points on our new rewards program and enjoy tier benefits like discounted movie tickets and moreFind out more

Need a hand or want to share your expertise?
Register for CrowdSupport and get involved

Register now