CrowdSupport®
Highlighted
TPM5
Level 1: Cadet

Disabling DECT On Telstra Smart Modem Gen 2

Answered

I am using the Arcadyan LH1000 modem with Firmware 0.07.05r.

I am using all corded phones for VOIP.

How do I disable DECT to reduce EMF?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Mkrtich
Level 13: Super Sleuth
Accepted Solution

Re: Disabling DECT On Telstra Smart Modem Gen 2

Hi TPM5 - Yes, one questions why there is no internal setting ON/OFF function for DECT like there is for Wi-Fi as it would seem not be a difficult option button to program into the web page screen. Maybe the base station is only activated when first pairing of a DECT phone to Modem is conducted. The only way to know is to have a device that can see DECT 1880-1950 Mhz networks - don't know if the Telstra App which does 2.4/5.0Ghz Networks also sees DECT. 

The absence of a control function by the designers may also be due to its relatively low EMR characteristics compared to Wi-Fi and Mobile Phones. Each of these wireless technologies undertake different tasks that require varying power criteria to communicate with their respective base stations. Manufacturers of mobile phones have to ensure their equipment conforms to SAR maximum values of under 1.6 watts/kg (USA) or 2.0 watts/kg (Europe and Australia) - they generally fall well under these levels which are measured at distance to head levels. By comparison, DECT Standard phones operate at significantly less ratings of 0.01 watts and Base Stations at 0.12 watts peak - their task being limited to small in-home area connection and do not require the higher power requirements of mobile phones or Wi-Fi Networks (Euro 2.4Ghz_ 0.1 watt and UK 5 Ghz_ 0.2 watts).   

If you are concerned about DECT EMR, it is significantly lower compared to mobiles and Wi-Fi but exposure can be minimised by placement of modem as far away as practical. 

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
5 REPLIES 5
Level 22: Superhuman

To my knowledge its not possible to disable the DECT radio transmitter on the modem.
For Official Support start a Secure Chat , try the Online Troubleshooter, Outage Check or Complaint.

Full Disclosure as part of Telstras Social Media Code.

Mkrtich
Accepted Solution

Hi TPM5 - Yes, one questions why there is no internal setting ON/OFF function for DECT like there is for Wi-Fi as it would seem not be a difficult option button to program into the web page screen. Maybe the base station is only activated when first pairing of a DECT phone to Modem is conducted. The only way to know is to have a device that can see DECT 1880-1950 Mhz networks - don't know if the Telstra App which does 2.4/5.0Ghz Networks also sees DECT. 

The absence of a control function by the designers may also be due to its relatively low EMR characteristics compared to Wi-Fi and Mobile Phones. Each of these wireless technologies undertake different tasks that require varying power criteria to communicate with their respective base stations. Manufacturers of mobile phones have to ensure their equipment conforms to SAR maximum values of under 1.6 watts/kg (USA) or 2.0 watts/kg (Europe and Australia) - they generally fall well under these levels which are measured at distance to head levels. By comparison, DECT Standard phones operate at significantly less ratings of 0.01 watts and Base Stations at 0.12 watts peak - their task being limited to small in-home area connection and do not require the higher power requirements of mobile phones or Wi-Fi Networks (Euro 2.4Ghz_ 0.1 watt and UK 5 Ghz_ 0.2 watts).   

If you are concerned about DECT EMR, it is significantly lower compared to mobiles and Wi-Fi but exposure can be minimised by placement of modem as far away as practical. 

There is more background and ambient radiation from your computer screen, TV's
mobile phones and kitchen microwave.
A "Like" is always appreciated. If my advice is a solution, please mark it. I'm not a Telstra employee.
50 + years exp. in radio comms., eg mobile phones since 1963, two-way radios, base stations, antennas & pagers. One of my mottos: "Believe in yourself, and you can accomplish anything".
TPM5
Level 1: Cadet

Thank you for your comprehensive answer.

I ended up with a middle ground. I went with a faraday router cage. Doesn't affect WiFi much at all with a pretty significant reduction in EMF.

Mkrtich

TPM5 - Good to know and thanks for the feedback. The electronics and communication industry owes a lot to Mr Faraday. 

Set it & forget it

With direct debit there’s no need to give paying your bill another thought.

Avoid queuing up and never worry about late fees again.

Setup direct debit
Find out more about the Telstra 24x7 App and direct debit ×
Manage your services and take advantage of offers while you’re out and about with the Telstra 24x7® App Find out more

Avoid queueing up and never worry about late fees againSet up direct debit

Need a hand or want to share your expertise?
Register for CrowdSupport and get involved

Register now