CrowdSupport®
Level 2: Rookie

Disaster when moving house - comedy of errors

Hi there,

I have recently moved house, and as part of the move, from an NBN (FTTN) connection, to an ADSL2 connection.

The move in short, has been a disaster. The timeline of events is as follows:

1. Disconnect NBN on 5 September (seemed to work)

2. Connect ADSL2+ on 6 September (seemed to work - in some respects)

3. Found ADSL2+ connection syncs at 0.25 - 0.55mbps down, and drops off, retrains frequently - but *could* authenticate and login in terms of the ADSL PPP connection - technically, we had a connection

4. Organised technician to check in house wiring, and run a new line to sort out the speed

5. Sync speeds remain erratic, got a Telstra technician to come out

6. Telstra technician identifies two physical line faults in the street at two locations as I understand it

7. Telstra technician fixes one of the physical faults, and tells me he will not be allowed to fix the other if this works

8. ADSL2+ syncs up faster (~6.8Mbps), and authenticates, internet not too bad (for what it is)

9. Literally 2 mins later, it drops out, PPP no longer connects at all - just times out according to the logs. No authentication error, we don't get that far.

10. Internet retrains regularly still, and sometimes goes down to 0.8mbps sync speed, but in any case, PPP attempts continue to time out.

The complete disconnection has been this way since the middle of the day, on the 19th of September. It looks like the move failed to proceed in some system and unfortunately I keep getting fobbed off by people at Telstra, because they say "the move hasn't completed yet - you are still connected to NBN at [insert old address here]"... they also believe my old phone number is still connected...

I have attempted to escalate this, but I am getting no where. Various move team employees keep just telling me they're waiting on the NBN team to delete my NBN account. I was told two days ago this would be resolved by COB today (28th).. and of course - no change.

There are two faults as it stands that are leading to 0 internet connectivity:

1) Although we have sync, PPP times out, doesn't get as far as attempting authentication - it's like they switched things off at the other end... we have sync, but get no where in terms of PPP.

2) The line is still very noisy (you can hear it when you connect a phone and listen to the dial tone, can be very scratchy), so although I can occasionally sync up at 4-6Mbps, usually it's more like 0.5 - 0.8mbps. I still need the second fault the Telstra guy found (he said it is even marked by previous technicians as a bad line - but he said he would not be allowed to fix both faults unless it was really bad). I even said "I am happy to *pay* for you to replace that copper if that will help" and he said.. he was not allowed, but wishes he could help me).

I have an ADSL error case, an NBN lodgement case, and a Move reference number.. all I keep getting back is "we escalated to the NBN team - still waiting to hear back - can't help you, sorry".

I have also had two Telstra employees check the phone number I was allocated, and it is under someone's name I have never heard of... Karen something or other....

I assume this is part of the problem - it seems that the fundamental problem is one of accounting (wrong account name associated with this phone number, and the move failed to complete properly). The physical line issue we can address after - but I really at least need the internet connected.

Clearly some part of the move process has gotten messed up here. I have been polite and patient with folks on the phone, I understand the loop I'm stuck in - and it's not their fault... but it usually it ends up as a 1.5 hour call as they "call around" the departments to try and move things forward - but it's always the same departments, and always the same answer... "looks like you're still on NBN - I am sure this will be resolved in 24-48 hours"

How on earth can I get help from someone who can look at "the whole picture"? I thought the moves case management would have been able to get the right people involved to move this forward (no pun intended) - but this has proven not to be the case. I believe they're trying to help when I call -but are limited in their understanding of the problem and eventually give up every time I call saying the 24-48 hour thing.....

I work from home, in a technical role, that really needs internet access - and have not had internet here for 3 weeks (for one reason or another) due to the fun I am having here. I'm using my mobile phone as a wifi hotspot, and for reasons not worth going into here - it's very much not ideal.

I have no doubt I will continue to be billed for my not-connected internet service. Surely some person can look at this, end to end, and stop bouncing me from department to department. Please, someone from Telstra - HELP! I am happy to share all the case numbers I have been given by the moves team via PM to a Telstra employee... I would very much appreciate any help at all I can get here.

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
18 REPLIES 18
Highlighted
Level 25: The Singularity
Level 25: The Singularity

Re: Disaster when moving house - comedy of errors

If the phone line is noisy, just report that as a fault. Do not mention the ADSL problems as that just confuses the situation. Once the voice service is fixed, the ADSL should work properly.
Never be afraid to back yourself when trying new things, just always make sure you have 3 escape routes if things go wrong.
Highlighted

Hi Jupiter,

Thanks for the idea, and I might well give that a go now I have made progress on the PPP connection front.

Even though we had sync previously, PPP was timing out (before we could even get to things like authentication) - no ADSL service due to the coding on the line being discarded (hence no PPP connection).

Yesterday I did make one step forward on that side - I got someone to listen to me, past "your NBN service is still connected, therefore you need to wait until that is disconnected - that will be resolved by October 4th" (previously 28 September). In reality, it was disconnected on 5 September 2017, and ADSL was connected on 6 September, then ADSL was then disconnected again two weeks later.

The person got the ADSL team to check, and sure enough, the coding on the line was blown away. I am *guessing* whoever owned the number previously (Karen something or other was the 'owner' of the phone number allocated to the new property, according to Telstra employees (x2)) ... perhaps Karen was somehow still a customer, and had decided to terminate her account or do her own move, and as part of that, the ADSL was deprovisioned. This is just a guess... given two employees had told me "no, the owner of this number is Karen xxxxxxx....".

So, anyway we got them to sort out the number 'owner', and re-code, and now ADSL has been re-provisioned at least - and I'm back online (now at 0.8mbps with drop outs), and can now get back to pursuing the physical line fault.

I did try to pursue the line fault last night through the moves case manager, but they said "we can't do that because we need to wait until this NBN connection is disconnected at your old property"... this accounting issue seems to be a real blocker to progress... I will try going direct to report a line fault independently per your suggestion.

Thanks!

Highlighted
Level 1: Cadet

I'm caught in the same vortex, GMO!
Highlighted
Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Hi RK46

This is not good to hear. Do you mean you are having issues with your service relocation or that your services are not working as efficiently as they should? 

Kind Regards 

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

All moderation actions are supported by the CrowdSupport Community Guidelines

Highlighted

I'm still stuck here too.. 4th of October has come and gone - which was the most recent date it would all magically be fixed.

My NBN from an accounting point of view, and my old phone number - still present. In reality - this was disconnected.

Also, no one willing to send a technician to fix the already identified physical line fault..

So, I ended up going down the complaints process to try and get someone to just "own this" end to end... fix the outstanding issues which are:

1. Accounting issues (NBN and old number still present, new number and DSL not provisioned in Telstra's mind - even though the opposite is true - ADSL and new number provisioned, old stuff switched off)

2. Physical line fault - already identified by an onsite, Telstra technician. Issue is in the street cabling, not internal wiring.

3. Static IP address - although they've (through a lot of pressure and convincing) re-provisioned ADSL for me here after 1.5 weeks off the air, my static IP has gone.

4. Ideally - once the above is fixed - Credit me for a month of internet access I have not had!

I had some 'excitement' when a complaints manager contacted me on Tuesday and said in 24-48 hours, and I'd have a technician organised for the most critical part - the physical fault. Haven't heard back, 48 hours has just passed by... so this is going about as well as everything else.

Highlighted
Support Team
Support Team

Hi GMO,

Thanks for keeping us updated on this case, I'm sorry to read this remains unresolved. 

If you have an SR case number you can share with me, I can contact your case Manager, send them a copy of this correspondence & ask that they contact you. 

Angela

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

Highlighted

Hi Angela,

I've PM'd all the numbers to you - most of them, bar the formal complaint, I believe were raised on my behalf by the moves team case manager.

Appreciate your help here!

Geoff

Highlighted
Support Team
Support Team

Perfect, thanks for all of that Geoff, it's all come through & I've located your complaints case Manager & emailed them with a copy of this correspondence asking that they touch base with you.

I'm not sure of their schedule & can't say how quick they will call back, if you haven't heard by this time tomorrow let me know & I'll email them again.

Angela 

Highlighted

Thanks - that's awesome Angela! Smiley Happy Look forward to getting this all resolved.

Highlighted
Support Team
Support Team

Happy to help where I can, I do hope this is resolved soon. keep me in the loop -Angela 

Highlighted
Level 6: Bloodhound

@GMO - I'm experiencing the reverse - we went from ADSL to NBN FW.

1. Install occurred on 3 Oct as scheduled. Great

2.Internet connects via FW - great

3. Speeds are woeful.

6-15 mbps at 5-6 am

1-2 mbps mid morning

480k to 1.5mbps for the rest of the day into the evening.

Working from home, and other users in the household = competing for very limited bandwidth.

Or I'm just not working - web calls, conference videos etc.

Calling the 1800 number - Response after 3 call is "Your order is not yet completed. Just wait until it is, and the speed will improve"

Why does it take 3+ days to complete an order?

If the NBN device/modem connects - why does some arbitrary database record impact the available speed?

The good news is I have a Frontier Gateway modem , wuth the 4G SIM. and the 'best bundle'

I'll gonna unplug the NBN and just use mobile broad band.  At least then I might be capable of actually using the bandwidth I'm paying for.

Highlighted

@Angela_H

Per your request to keep you updated, I have not heard anything from anyone bar yourself (call, email, anything).

I was hoping the complaints team would be able to own the resolution here, and really just stay on top of people to make sure this actually moves forward (but for real this time).... per their own statement that a technician would be organised promptly (24-48 hours) ... but then they've gone off the air, and no one contacted me to organise said technician visit.

Your help here to ensure someone engages would be much appreciated! We're now past one month of either no, or absolutely useless internet speeds.... and I'm still on the hook in my account for "Super fast NBN!" (ie 100/40)... for 0.8 - 0.9 Mbps download sync speed. Shocker Smiley Happy

Highlighted

@really-me

I had a friend that had a very similar scenario - it was to my surprise that actually after a few days, his speed *did* improve. Although his starting speed was better than what you've reported - he was on 100/40 plan, but received about 15mbps. A few days later after complaining, it came up to about 30Mbps... still very, very shy from the 100/40 he paid for... so he decided to just switch to a 25Mbps plan.

I never did understand how or why that speed jump... that is: what was the "second step" that improved things once the physical connection was made? Hope this improves for you too. I was happy that the move seemed to all happen "as scheduled" until I discovered the issues... and now over a month later, I'm shocked that my move still hasn't technically completed and no one has been able to figure out what is actually wrong as to why everything still shows as NBN connected (and fix it).... because no one else in Telstra seems to want to do "their bit" until this is fixed.

Highlighted
Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Hi GMO,

I apologise that your case manager hasn't kept you informed. I have emailed them to provide an update and follow this up with you ASAP. Please allow 1-2 business days. 

- Tim  

Highlighted

@TimmyT- Thank you, I will keep an eye out for a call in the coming days. Appreciate your response over the weekend!

Highlighted

Quick update, I received a call on Monday from the complaints department, and they are looking into this further, and look to be owning this.

Waiting to hear back on their assessment from the technician of the second fault he found with the physical cabling, and what can be done there as a start.

This is a great step forward to have someone owning this end to end, and I hope we can progress things from there.

Highlighted

@GMO -  8 business days after the NBN install occured, the NBN order was finalised in Telstra's system.

No speed jump - same pathetic speeds from mid morning onwards.

By evening - 1 to 2.5 mpbs is the norm after 5pm.

After 45 minutes diagnosing the slow speed issues, we now have a tech visit booked.

Good news - I have the "Best Bundle" with the mobile broadband fall back - which gives around 6+ mpbs download.

As I sit here I can actuallybrowse the internet while my wife is watching Netflix  - previously impossible on the NBN fixed wireless.  Netflix and internet browsing was an either/or situation - not both that mobile broadband offers!

Highlighted

After the tech visit, a replacement modem and complementary speed boost - it turns out the problem is congestion 'because NBN didn't provision enough capacity".

No idea on when the capacity will be upgraded - because  "that's NBN's problem, not in Telstra's control".

In the meantime - 4G and 6Mbps seems to be the bare minimum we can get here.

Set it & forget it

With direct debit there’s no need to give paying your bill another thought.

Avoid queuing up and never worry about late fees again.

Setup direct debit