stonefishter
Level 1: Cadet

Do I need to change to NBN from Cable?

Answered

I currently have Telstra Cable plan at home, however have been advised that NBN is now available in my area (Glebe 2037). I'm happy with the fast cable connection I have and would prefer not to leap into the unknown NBN cesspool. Do I have a choice?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Level 25: The Singularity
Accepted Solution

Re: Do I need to change to NBN from Cable?

Within 18 months of the NBN becoming available in your area, you will need to migrate across.

After 18 months, non-NBN services will be disconnected in your area.

So, no. You have no choice but to migrate, although you don't have to do it immediately.

Never be afraid to back yourself when trying new things, just always make sure you have 3 escape routes if things go wrong.

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
6 REPLIES 6
Accepted Solution

Within 18 months of the NBN becoming available in your area, you will need to migrate across.

After 18 months, non-NBN services will be disconnected in your area.

So, no. You have no choice but to migrate, although you don't have to do it immediately.

Never be afraid to back yourself when trying new things, just always make sure you have 3 escape routes if things go wrong.
StrayaM8
Level 5: Eagle Eye

Jupiter is right, you will eventually have to move across or switch to mobile broadband or some other alternative. You can call up Telstra and they should be able to tell you the exact cut off date if you ask for it. 

You will more than likely start to notice a degradation of service quality in the months leading up to the cutoff date. Better to get it done before that happens. 

Support Team
Support Team

Hey stonefishter,

@Jupiter is on the money. You can check for a ready for service date here: https://tel.st/drlgr, and you have 18 months to migrate from that date.

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

All moderation actions are supported by the CrowdSupport Community Guidelines

summer9

Make the most of it with cable.

NBN has been nothing but useless

Downloading is as good as dial up and continually getting maintenance 

Alwayslate

I’m also in Glebe on cable getting 100mbps and am extremely happy with that, I won’t change to the nbn till I absolutely need to which I think is in 2021.

check your cable speed (download a speed test online) if you’re getting good speed just thing a nbn plan will restrict speed depending on the plan you choose starting from 25mbps as the basic plan and gets more expensive from there.

best of luck.

Shazean
Level 2: Rookie

Unfortunately you will have no choice, just like I didn't.  I also was on cable and loving it 52.7mbps download. Now on NBN as dictated to by the government. I was supplied a Testra Smart Gen2 modem.

Now I have a speed of 23.2 (oh yeah) and a Multifunction Printer that can not connect through the wi-fi.  My advise when you do have to change. Make sure your provider does not ty and supply one of those modems.

Good luck to you when the time comes when you have no free choice in the matter.

Telstra Smart Modem

Plug in and connect in minutes. Smart.

Find out more
Find out more about the Telstra 24x7 App ×
Manage your services and take advantage of offers while you’re out and about with the Telstra 24x7® App Download now
Earn points on our new rewards program and enjoy tier benefits like discounted movie tickets and moreFind out more

Need a hand or want to share your expertise?
Register for CrowdSupport and get involved

Register now