CrowdSupport®
Highlighted
tyler2102
Level 2: Rookie

Do bigpond still block port 25?

Answered

I am running an exchange server, on a home internet connection but with a static IP.

I have setup the port forward on my modem to my server, but email does not get to the server from outside my network.

Sending emails is fine, When I go to https://www.testexchangeconnectivity.com/ to check my exchange connection and select test inbound SMTP I get the following error.

Testing TCP port 25 failed on host "mydomain@domain.com" to ensure it's listening and open.
 The specified port is either blocked, not listening, or not producing the expected response

I have checked all DNS and MX records and they are correct, and I can confirm my modem has allowed port 25.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Level 21: Augmented
Accepted Solution

Re: Do bigpond still block port 25?

Hi Tyler,

BigPond does not block this port but it is reserved and unable to be opened with most ISP's same with port 110. I'm not too sure on how you setup exchange mail if you're hosting the server but if it required port forwarding or "opening" then you're going to have to use another port.
Lathania

View solution in original post

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
6 REPLIES 6
Level 21: Augmented
Accepted Solution

Hi Tyler,

BigPond does not block this port but it is reserved and unable to be opened with most ISP's same with port 110. I'm not too sure on how you setup exchange mail if you're hosting the server but if it required port forwarding or "opening" then you're going to have to use another port.
Lathania

View solution in original post

meyevue
Level 1: Cadet

Hi the Lanthia,

Looks like I am a couple of years behind on this thread - but I am in the process of setting up a Linux  based mail server and I think I am having a similar problem to this question raised two years ago.  FYI - I am technically competent but new to setting up email servers.

I have a T-suite hosted domain and have set up the MX records correctly (I think?). I do have a little bit of confusion about whether the T-Suite MX record FQDN mail server name needs the '.' on the end in the T-Suite application (as I understand that this is required in a DNS/BIND configuration file) - or whether the MX address of my server is just along the lines of mail.mydomain.com.au ? Either way - I have tried both approaches without success. My mail server has a FQDN of the form mail.mydomain.com.au

I like the original poster have opened up SMTP (port 25) on my router - however - I receive no email. I am a tad confused as to how I need to set up my router with a different port to allow email to be receive by my local email server? I am sure this explanation is quite simple - but the penny has not quite dropped yet and any guidance would be much appreciated.

Thanks.

Stephen

Support Team
Support Team

Hi Stephen,

I will ask one of my Tech support team to stop by tomorrow when they are back in so we can see if we can work out what is going on with your email and get it working for you

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

All moderation actions are supported by the CrowdSupport Community Guidelines

meyevue

Thanks Ashely.... I am running out of ideas at the moment...... I am sure it will be a simple mistake on my behalf - however - I need a bit of guidance to understand what might be going on.....

Thanks,

Regards,

Stephen

meyevue

Any update Ashley...? Thanks
Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Hi meyevue,

The BigPond mail.bigpond.com settings have had the port and SSL requirements changed recently so you may need to make adjustments to match the ports. 

Incoming Server: mail.bigpond.com
Port: 995
SSL: On

Outgoing Server: mail.bigpond.com
Port: 465 (or 25 but not recommended)
Authentication: Yes
SSL: On (TLS/STARTTLS preferred)

As you say you have a 3rd party domain with T-Suite I am going to refer this to them to assist you further.

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

All moderation actions are supported by the CrowdSupport Community Guidelines

Set it & forget it

With direct debit there’s no need to give paying your bill another thought.

Avoid queuing up and never worry about late fees again.

Setup direct debit