Highlighted
senior_vision
Level 2: Rookie

Does Telstra block all requests to IP xxx.xxx.xx.255 addresses?

Answered

I cannot reach (Web browser, ping, traceroute) an IP address ending in .255 through either of my two 4G USB Telstra modems.

The IP address is for a website that is based in the USA and can be pinged without problems from hundreds of servers worldwide, according to online ping tools.

Is there a fix for this at the Telstra end, or should the US website owner ask the host ISP for a non-.255 address because Telstra in Australia will block requests to it?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Level 24: Supreme Being
Accepted Solution

Re: Does Telstra block all requests to IP xxx.xxx.xx.255 addresses?

As far as I can tell, there isn't a problem by going through www.zerenesystems.com I can access it though both my Telstra 4G connection and my TPG NBN connection. The only time I can't access it is by using the IP address, for reasons explained previously.

Never be afraid to back yourself when trying new things, just always make sure you have 3 escape routes if things go wrong.

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
12 REPLIES
Level 23: Superhero

Are you able to post the URL or IP address so that other members might be able to try it on their connections?
If you've found a solution then don't forget to mark that post accordingly.
If you think I've been of assistance to you please remember to let me know by clicking on the LIKE button.

Please note: I am not a Telstra employee and any posts or opinions are entirely my own and don't reflect any official company position.
senior_vision

Loads a cPanel error page immediately for me on my home DSL connection and my Telstra mobile.
If you think I've been of assistance to you please remember to let me know by clicking on the LIKE button.

Please note: I am not a Telstra employee and any posts or opinions are entirely my own and don't reflect any official company position.

ipaddy.JPG

Using an IP address to access a website for a site that uses a hosting service can be hit and miss. They can (and do) change IP address occasionally based on Server loadings at the hosting end, unless they have a service that specifically gives them a fixed IP address.

Never be afraid to back yourself when trying new things, just always make sure you have 3 escape routes if things go wrong.
senior_vision

That particular IP address is fixed for https://www.zerenesystems.com. I wonder if someone from Telstra will see this question here and answer?

Level 21: Augmented

@senior_vision

i can reach  https://www.zerenesystems.com without a problem.

but if your interest in 69.90.161.255 is to access behind the seens control of your website you will need to contact the host provider either at 

support@hostpapasupport.com

https://www.hostpapa.com.au/about-hostpapa/contact/

or maybe try logging in through the main page via my account

https://www.hostpapa.com.au

Telstra customer 15+ yrs, I am not a Telstra employee and never have been

Kudos and thanks welcomed

If I have managed to outsmart myself and give a Solution please mark it as so.
Service Status in your area
Someone asked to check your ping but dont know how
Check all your connected programs

That webserver (69.90.161.255) hosts at least 883 domains. That is why you cannot access the website directly from the IP address. It is not dedicated to zerenesystems.com, it is a shared IP address for the server.

senior_vision

That isn't my website. After my failure to reach the site, the site's owner in the USA has contacted HostPapa and asked for either a new IP address or migration to another server. HostPapa has apologised to the site owner.

senior_vision

The problem is not that I can't reach the IP address, it's that I can't reach https://www.zerenesystems.com, by browsing or pinging through the DNS system. As mentioned in another of my replies, the hosting service agrees there's a problem, has apologised to the site owner and is trying to fix it at their end.

Accepted Solution

As far as I can tell, there isn't a problem by going through www.zerenesystems.com I can access it though both my Telstra 4G connection and my TPG NBN connection. The only time I can't access it is by using the IP address, for reasons explained previously.

senior_vision

Thanks, Jupiter. So it isn't a Telstra network policy, but I still can't reach the site from here in NW Tasmania. It's really puzzling because I can reach (or ping) other sites on the same host. Anyway, a fix is in progress at the website's end.

Home Broadband Bundle

$99 Entertainment Bundle. Unlimited Data and Entertainment.

Find out more