Customer86
Level 1: Cadet

Does bad ADSL2 = bad NBN service after changeover

Answered

I have been putting off changing over to the NBN and was hoping someone can give me some advice re a problem I have with my phone/ADSL service.

I used to have a clear phone line and an ADSL2 internet service that  while never super fast, was ok for what I required from the internet. When the NBN Co. came through my

street, Telstra came also to " do maintenance on their services " and prepare for the changeover for their customers. My service was disconnected and never came back on. When I rang Telstra I was informed that there was maintenance programmed for the next three weeks in my street and if after three weeks my service had not been reinstated I should recontact them!

I got proactive and approached the men working in my street and explained that I had no phone/internet since last week and was wondering when It would resume?  They were brilliant, they said this shouldn't have happened, asked which was my house, went to the Telecom Pit opposite my house, pulled apart a joint in a cable in the pit and within ten minutes I had a phone/internet service. It was very noisy and the techie said the noise was due to the state of disrepair of the cables running to the exchange and there was nothing he could do improve the quality of my service.

OK I don't understand why I had a clear phone and good internet before maintenance and now I don't But, my problem now is this.

My phone line has 50hz Earth hum and impulse noise that gets so bad that my phone line is pretty much unusable and I now have an "Telstra Internet Speed Test " speed of at the best 2Mbps and today it was 0.9 Mbps at one stage.

My question is this ,

Will switching over to the NBN fix everything wrong with my current service or will it just mean I will still have a NBN service coming down a bad noisy line affecting the new service?

Answers will be much appreciated

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Level 25: The Singularity
Accepted Solution

Re: Does bad ADSL2 = bad NBN service after changeover

It depends on where the fault is. If it is between you and the distribution pit/pole, then the fault will remain after switching across to the NBN.

If the fault is between the distribution pit/pole and the exchange then switching to the NBN should fix the problem.
Never be afraid to back yourself when trying new things, just always make sure you have 3 escape routes if things go wrong.

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
3 REPLIES 3
Accepted Solution

It depends on where the fault is. If it is between you and the distribution pit/pole, then the fault will remain after switching across to the NBN.

If the fault is between the distribution pit/pole and the exchange then switching to the NBN should fix the problem.
Never be afraid to back yourself when trying new things, just always make sure you have 3 escape routes if things go wrong.
Customer86
Level 1: Cadet

Hi Jupiter,
thanks for responding.
I thought that maybe the case. My street is getting (FTTC) fibre to the curb,
do you know whether this means the NBN cable is run to the pole/pit opposite my house (where the technician reconnected my service) and only the line running up the pole to my house from the pit remains from the old Telecom lines as this would fix all problems.

Highlighted
Level 21: Augmented

That should be the case...
DISCLAIMER: I do not work for Telstra or any other ISP. I never did. I have wealth of practical knowledge in Computer Security and Forensic Computing. I have been in the field since 1985.

Likes (formerly Kudos) and solutions are appreciated!!!
The comments expressed by me reflect my user experience and personal opinion.

Home Broadband Bundle

$99 Entertainment Bundle. Unlimited Data and Entertainment.

Find out more