CrowdSupport®
Brandon66
Level 2: Rookie

Drop out in Cable speeds and Connection for 1 month now

Since the 10th of last month I have been having significant cable issues. What happens is that I will be using the internet than suddenly my speeds drop to 0.00mb/s then slowly work their way back up to 110mb/s. In the time it drops I experience terrible latency issues... whether it be watching YouTube videos, websites not loading and especially gaming. In the beginning Telstra would tell me this issue kept happening due to unplanned outages. I have had 2 technicians come out to our home within the past month. The first technician gave me a signal strengthen then left... and that did nothing. A case manager got assigned to my case shortly after that and told me that issue was due to an unplanned outage in our area. This outage was due to be fixed the following day. They fixed the outage, but still my internet is still suffering from, latency, speed drops, and drops in connection regularly. Another technician came out on the 9th and swapped out the cables, and wires from the Telstra box, and still that hasn't fixed the issue. I am running out of option and resolutions. I just want to be able to have a consistent internet speed, that allows me to game, browser, and stream videos. I'm on a cable connection with a speed boost on my account. The only option that is somewhat fixing my issue is only using my 4 or 5g connection. And those speeds are only 4/6mb/s. Can someone please help me?    

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
22 REPLIES 22
Level 24: Supreme Being

Re: Drop out in Cable speeds and Connection for 1 month now

The line stats the cable adapter will give an indication of any faults with the cable or equipment in the street. If you post the line stats some one here will be able to tell you if there is a cable fault.

You will find line stats here in the cable adapter.

http://192.168.100.1/ > Broadband Connection > Connection Settings

Default Username/password: admin/password

You're looking for Frequencies, Power Levels, SNR, etc

Downstream between -15 to +15dBmV is good.
Closer to 0.0dBmV the better.

Upstream between +40dBmV to 54dBmV is good.
Closer to 40dBmV the better.

SNR +38dB and above is good.
40+dB the better.

Brandon66

This is what is showing. But I still have the issue I am having in the previous message above. Please help

teasl.PNGtelsta.PNG

The cable connection looks good. You could download and install ping plotter on a PC and run a test. This should show were in the network the problem is occurring.

https://www.pingplotter.com/

Brandon66

dsadasd.PNG

The plot confirms that there is a problem with dropouts on your connection. I can't determine were problem is because the plot is only showing the last hop. 

Brandon66

how do I do a test that can show a better understanding for you? 

Tap on the plus symbol (+) Next to the all Targets tab and do a test using the new tab.

Brandon66

telstra.PNG

@cf4 wrote:

Tap on the plus symbol (+) Next to the all Targets tab and do a test using the new tab.

hope this helps. Was playing online, had a latency spiked/drop in connection while the ping test was running. Here's what it shows. Happens everyday since novemember 

Brandon66

dsadasdasd.PNG

Thanks for posting those graphs. I can't really determine which hop is causing the the fault but it is definitely in your local NBN network. There is no packet loss on the first hop so no problems with local network. I am also in Adelaide but on NBN and don't get any packet loss on a test to google. Do you still get packet lose when not playing a game?

Brandon66

Yes, I still get packet lose when I’m not gaming online... but it isn’t as bad. Seems to trigger worse whenever larger amounts of wifi is being used (downloading, online gaming, Netflix, multiple people using internet at once) whereas simply web surfing isn’t as bad 

What model modem do you have and what is its firmware no. If you have a gen 2 modem this information LHS of modem's login page?

Brandon66

B74C02D3-611C-4D3F-B861-8D5B8EC01037.jpeg

Gateway Information
Serial No ARC1939788823
Firmware Number 0.09.11r
Gateway Make Model Arcadyan LH1000

The only way this will be fixed in by another Tech visit. If your original complaint has been closed raise another complaint. The problem is with the local cable network.

MarethyuAS
Level 7: Deputy Inspector

The issue could also be due to the NBN rollout if it has hit your area because NBN places a restriction on your copper/cable services 1-3 mths after NBN has become available in the area.

I recommend checking your address on https://www.nbnco.com.au/

Brandon66

A technician just came out on the 20th and change an old wiring in our Telstra pit, and still no fix. What should I do? It’s almost been like this for 4 straight months

The problem is probably not in your local link but is upstream. The stats in your cable adapter indicate an almost perfect link between the adaptor and were it connects to the local distribution point. The fault  might even be in the gateway your  link is connected to. It sometimes takes many visits to locate a fault. Just to rule out a problem with PC are you having problems on other conn devices connected to modem.

Brandon66

Yes all devices are affected, as well as two other residents are experiencing my same issue since November 

Have the other residents lodged a fault with Telstra? If enough people in the local area lodge a fault Telstra support should realise there is a problem in the local network instead of your link and start looking in the right place for the fault.

Do you have Foxtel as well?

If so, disconnect the Foxtel and plug the modem straight into the wall socket (remove the splitter is there is one). Reboot the modem and repost the signal levels.

I am a Premium Services Support Consultant (Telstra Platinum, Telstra Smart Home, Locator/Device Locator and Neto POS). However, I am not an official representative on CrowdSupport.

IT Helpdesk and Technicial Support by Telstra Platinum
Smart Home Automation & Monitoring from Telstra
Helping Australians Find the Things that Matter Most with Telstra Locator
Run a Modern Retail Business with Neto Point of Sale
Brandon66

Hi, yes our neighbours had technicians come out and swapped old cables with new cables in our Telstra pit/replaced modem... (Still no fix). They said they were going to raise the complaint further... but still no fix 

Brandon66

No Foxtel is connected. Only thing our cable is connected too is our modem 

Set it & forget it

With direct debit there’s no need to give paying your bill another thought.

Avoid queuing up and never worry about late fees again.

Setup direct debit