CrowdSupport®
hwka
Level 3: Gumshoe

Error message: Cannot establish a connection to the server at...

Answered

Installation a few months old - currently with a Technicolor Telstra Gen 2 Smart Modem and WiFI Gen 2 booster.

Speed is as advertised.

Certain sites will not connect at any time - for example any site associated with news.com.au for example The Australian /Courier Mail/Daily Telegraph/Adelaide Advertiser/Andrew Bolt etc.

"Unable to connect. Firefox can't establish a connectionto the server at tags.news.com.au"

Some random sites will not connect - for example a hotel booking returned an error message:

"Unable to connect. Firefox can't establish a connectionto the server at logp3.xiti.com"

Bunnings returns an error message on most occasions:

"Unable to connect.Firefox can't establish a connection to the server at clickserve.dartsearch.net

Modem reset on many many occasions.

Multiple browsers  (Chrome/Safari/Firefox/Opera/Brave) same result

Computer reset/ clean installs with no extensions/no adblockers/no anti-virus/no firewall/no proxies/no port forwarding/caches cleared/all cookies allowed

At home using Telstra Wi-Fi/ or LAN produces the above error messages whether using on iPhone or iPad or desktop iMac.

At supermarket using supermarket Wi-FI on iPhone or iPad - connects immediately to the same sites with no error messages.

On the road using 4G on iPhone - connects immediately to all sites with no error messages

So clearly....

this is not a home connection problem.

this is not a home network problem

this is not a wi-fi problem

this is not a problem that will be solved by a modem reset.

Given all the above...

this can only be a Telstra DNS problem.

Telstra do not admit to any problem.

Telstra overseas call centres are courteous but not competent on most issues except name, rank and serial number or that common fallback "reset the modem".

I would like to stay with Telstra.

To do that I need assistance with this problem.

Any help appreciated.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
hwka
Accepted Solution

Re: Error message: Cannot establish a connection to the server at...

Thanks to everybody for all their efforts.

I am quite certain what the problem is and am now actively searching for another provider.

Heaven help those who were of the opinion - I was - that a connection was a turn-key operation and did not require an advanced course in computer engineering.

I have had a computer connected to the big wide world in the Middle East, Far East,Near East, Europe and the USA where/when I lived and worked there in the 27 years away from Australia.

Everything still worked - albeit occasionally at a snail's pace - when I returned to Australia.

For example 1.8Mbps ADSL 2+ and an Apple TV download showed up to 150 hour download time - so no movies - but everything still worked.

I saw Telstra NBN as a dream upgrade and in some respects it was - rock steady 48/17 as promised - although 3 times the price I paid in Japan for around 20 Mbps.

The answer to all these issues was never more than an arm's length away.

A new iPhone.

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
20 REPLIES 20
Support Team
Support Team

Hi @hwka

Thanks for reaching out. 

When you spoke with our team what was advised? 

Can you please try our troubleshooting tool here:  https://tel.st/zf6sl;

The troubleshoot tool will run some tests  specific to your line and if a fault is found it'll try to automatically resolve it - if not you'll be provided with a fault reference number for further investigation.

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

All moderation actions are supported by the CrowdSupport Community Guidelines

Mkrtich
Level 12: Master Detective

Hi hwka - a few questions and suggestions - as part of your troubleshooting, have you revalidated Telstra's DNS server settings to ensure they reflect published settings? For testing, did you substitute them with Google DNS Servers (8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4) to prove the potential issue with Telstra's DNS Servers. I have never had a need to change the DNS Server setting, but it may eliminate a possible cause in your case. Did you also conduct tests directly via the Gen 2 Modem or via the Gen 2 Booster? 

As a matter of interest, you indicated that you have a Technicolor Gen 2 Modem with Telstra Wi-Fi Gen 2 Booster working for the past few months - from current postings, the Technicolor Gen 2 Modem doesn't work with the Wi-Fi Gen 2 Booster until its firmware is updated to 18.1.C.0347-950-RC which was released this week. It may be worth Restarting the Gen 2 Modem from within the web page screen to see if it updates to the current version and see if that improves the situation.  

hwka

Mkrtich Thank you for your response.

I have tried the Google servers and a number of others - no change though - same problem.

Re:"Technicolor Gen 2 Modem with Telstra Wi-Fi Gen 2 Booster working for the past few months"

-- I should have been a bit clearer here.

The Gen 2 Arcadyan was a disaster and was replaced by Telstra with the Technicolor Gen 2 - which apart from the problem mentioned seems to be without fault.

The Gen 2 booster was a more recent addition which refused to pair with th

Highlighted
hwka

ooops! not sure why that posted then....

The Gen 2 booster was a more recent addition which refused to pair with the Technicolor - not surprisingly as it turns out it is a different manufacturer.

That problem was fixed with the update you mentioned.

However the "unable to connect" problem continues and in fact now shows up on other sites - where previously it only showed up on all "news.com.au" sites.

I rang news.com.au to determine if for some reason my IP address had inadvertently been blacklisted and received a quite rude patronising callback.

This query from me seemed reasonable as EVERY website associated with news.com.au and at that time ONLY websites associated with news.com.au returned an "unable to connect - tags.news.com.au" error message.

Recently Breitbart website returned the same type error message initially and before I had a chance to key anything the Breitbart page opened.

Similar experience with Bunnings website recently.

I am not an IT expert by any stretch but neither am I computer illiterate as I have been using computers Microsoft and Mac since 1982.

The latest piece in the puzzle...

On startup I got error message "no internet connection" for a few seconds followed by a normal connection a few seconds later.

hwka

Your link returned the following...

404 - Page not found, sorry

Maybe I burnt an orphanage to the ground in a former life

hwka

After you link returned the 404 error I did a search and opened this link:

https://selfserve.telstra.com.au/ssc/?serviceType=NBN&problemType=CONNECTION#home

Unfortunately it does not offer a solution as online sites and 24/7 chats etc etc do not seem able to differentiate between:

1. Unable to connect

2. Unable to connect to specific sites - all other connections normal.

Mkrtich

Hello hwka - on the basis that your former life is not to blame, is it possible that you were once a previous paying subscriber to the new.com.au and affiliated Murdoch Press web sites as they are generally only viewable and operated under a "paywall' structure after a certain time of free viewing? A suggestion - If you have kept your previous pre-NBN Modem, or have access to one from someone you know, on the basis that it is compatible with your NBN Network setup , suggest you connect see if that makes any difference. 

One can understand the occasional data corruption occurring with IP packets across the world, but it appears there is a pattern of consistent connection errors. Are you on NBN HFC or NBN FTTN/FTTC? 

Mkrtich

I had a look at the IP addresses of the main websites - Murdoch Press all lead to 23.202.164.225. I noticed you referenced two advertising collection applications that collect and analyse your Cookie connections on visited web pages for their own purposes or commercial activities.

"Unable to connect. Firefox can't establish a connection to the server at logp3.xiti.com"

"Unable to connect.Firefox can't establish a connection to the server at clickserve.dartsearch.net"

When you said - "Computer reset/ clean installs with no extensions/no adblockers/no anti-virus/no firewall/no proxies/no port forwarding/caches cleared/all cookies allowed" 

Not sure what you meant by "all cookies allowed" - Did you Delete or Clear All the Cookies on your devices and Restart PC/Devices - this will clear your total web history as well? 

Given the errors are associated with Cookie collection and redirection to clickserve, maybe the lack of connection to the web sites is an issue with Cookies management? 

Computer reset/ clean installs with no extensions/no adblockers/no anti-virus/no firewall/no proxies/no port forwarding/caches cleared/all cookies allowed

hwka

Screenshot 2019-06-16 16.33.55.png

This is the error page I receive.

Browsers used : Firefox / Safari / Opera /Chrome / Brave - all return that error message.

Error generated exclusively on sites associated with news.com.au - until recently where I have experienced a rare error with Bunnings and once with Breitbart which further muddies the waters and one solitary instance where the "unable to connect" appeared for about 2 seconds on start-up and then auto cleared itself.

Re cookies management: SAFARI/PREFERENCES/PRIVACY there is a Manage Website Data.

Clicking on that reveals a text...."These websites have stored data that can be used to track your browsing. Removing the data may reduce tracking, but may also log you out of websites or change website behaviour"

This was an "aha" moment as it could be the source of corrupted data but removing the data for news.com.au had no effect.

I then needed to remove the browser and do a clean install to reinstate the defaults.

news.com.au relists in this area after the reinstall - but the problem remains.

All online help sites - Telstra - Geek sites etc are familiar with "unable to connect" problems but none of them can offer a solution to "unable to connect to specific sites but otherwise OK".

All their suggestions revolve around these areas:

1. Cookies

2. Cache

3. DNS

4. Proxies

5. Port Forwarding

..."and that will fix your problem".

If the card-carrying geeks can not suggest a WORKING fix for this particular problem I am pushing the proverbial uphill.

I am left with burnt down orphanages in a former life and karma.

Mkrtich

Another peculiarity is that when you are away from home, you can connect to these sites. This seems to suggest that when you have a different WAN IP address provided by connecting to a 4G or different Wi-Fi or LAN link to your home, the cookie does not stop you at the paywall. When you are home using the Telstra Router, the Paywall may associate your cookie with your Router's WAN IP Address due to previous free connection time and stop you if your free time has expired. Check your WAN IP address which is dynamically allocated by Telstra and write it down. It doesn't change often, sometimes on modem reboot with extended wait time, sometimes not. When it changes try again.

hwka

Former subscriber to news.com.au     The Australian.

Recently joined Telstra - never experienced connection problems previously although that was an ADSL2+ connection using a Fritz 7490

Used the 7490 as  a wireless access point (whilst awaiting the Booster 2 update for the Technicolor DJA0231TLS) it presented the same problem - but that is expected as the 7490 is then in bridged mode and using the Telstra DNS

I have not used the 7490 as a standalone router/modem - yet.

Will Telstra allow it? - I was under the impression Telstra supplied equipment was required.

The connection is NBN/HFC

hwka

Good point.

I never considered it - and it was never mentioned by anybody else.

Unfortunately the unpaid position of Head Exorcist is still vacant.

I did a modem restart - off for >5 minutes - the WAN IP change was effected.

But the problem persists

Mkrtich

Based on above outcomes, I am not sure if replacing the Telstra DJA0231TLS will change anything. Newscorp paywall enforcement must have extended memory deployed!

For general interest, from my readings of crowsupport postings, I understand it is possible to connect third party routers after you initially have registered the service by activating the originally supplied Telstra Smart Modem successfully. Some people prefer to do this as they want to keep their favourite router to front end the NBN link and use the Telstra Smart Modem as a VoIP Server for the telephone line. There are special settings to apply for SIP ALG and Wi-Fi on the non Telstra Router. I have no experience with this arrangement and  don't favour it - if you do a search in crowdsupport you will find extensive listings on this subject.

With reservations, as I would not expect a different outcome, if you do wish to undertake testing with your Fritzbox to front end NBN but with no Gen2 Modem and no Gen2 Booster connected to it, firstly you would need to put Fritzbox out of bridge mode and back into DHCP Server mode. Then you would need to assign LAN port 1 of the Fritzbox to operate as WAN port in its software as there is no dedicated WAN port on Fritzbox. As you have NBN HFC, for test purposes only, it would then be possible to disconnect the Telstra Router DJA0231 TLS from the NBN Arris HFC Modem and connect the FritzBox 7490 WAN port to the Arris LAN UNI-D1 port. Do NOT use the DSL port of the Fritzbox. I would be surprised if this was the remedy. Perhaps Newscorp has collected a variety of WAN ports associated with your Cookies and this is why the above experiment ended in another rejection. 

hwka

I appreciate the time and effort you have spent on this.

Actually I have just (today)  sold the 7490 but I can borrow a  a TP Link Archer VR1600v and will try front-ending that modem - but only temporarily for troubleshooting the problem.

hwka

This is interesting because ...

the same browser used

the same site from the same Google search list result...

Screenshot 2019-06-18 21.00.56.pngScreenshot 2019-06-18 20.59.09.png

So surely this excludes the usual suspects - firewall / proxies / parental controls /DNS cache etc

All that remains is the Telstra modem DNS itself.

Surely there is someone in Telstra IT that has sufficient knowledge and the relative experience to fix this problem.

These error messages have now come up on STAN / Breitbart / Bunnings / News.com.au sites

Eventually I resolve the connection to most sites by clicking on another search result option as shown in the attachments.

I never get to connect to any associated news.com.au site

btw I have operating system Mojave 10.14.5

This is how to flush the local DNS in various Mac OS:

https://coolestguidesontheplanet.com/clear-the-local-dns-cache-in-osx/

I successfully achieve the flush but...

Unfortunately for me - no change to my continuing problem

Mkrtich

hwka - is the result page above using the TP-Link Archer VR1600v or the Telstra Smart Modem Gen2?

Personally, I never click on the first entries on a Google Search Result Web Page if they have [AD] Prefix, as these sites are 'Ad Collectors' which share you information with others sometimes without your knowledge and you get peppered with unwanted ads and sometimes annoying down in your face video ads on the page you want to read. In the example above, I would click on the direct to Stan link which you say works for you. Have you any Ad Blocking options activated in Mojave which would prevent you from accessing sites that share your Cookies with Third Parties - this may explain why Ad Server click.serve errors.   

In regards to when you are away from home and the problem doesn't exist, I initially thought that your NBN HFC Arris Modem MAC address was being sent forward with your Cookie to NewsCorp along with Telstra's External IP WAN port. If the TP Link Router had the same result for you, it may be related to that being the case or more likely your Cookie Privacy Setting in Mojave. Have you used Mojave externally to your home on other networks?  

Level 25: The Singularity
Level 25: The Singularity

I don't think changing modems is going to make a difference.

It looks like an Adblocker at work.
Never be afraid to back yourself when trying new things, just always make sure you have 3 escape routes if things go wrong.
Mkrtich

Yes, I am leaning that way for the Apple Mac Mojave which may be home based and why I asked the question. The only hiccup is when hwka's iPad and iPhone are away from his Wi-Fi Network or iPhone on 4G, the blocking condition is not experienced. Its only when at home that the blocking occurs on these devices.

Mkrtich

Revelation - according to this clip, if you Reset Wi-Fi on Apple iPhone, iPad or Android device, you flush the DNS Cache. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QtmiwDKGRec

hwka - this may explain why blocking condition does not occur when you logged on to the web sites from another Wi-Fi Network or used 4G. If condition reappears on these devices when you return home and log into home Wi-Fi Network, it implies the Telstra Router may have a local DNS Cache that may also need to be cleared. I don't know enough about how one would clear that, perhaps a Reset from within the Telstra Admin Screen. 

hwka
Accepted Solution

Thanks to everybody for all their efforts.

I am quite certain what the problem is and am now actively searching for another provider.

Heaven help those who were of the opinion - I was - that a connection was a turn-key operation and did not require an advanced course in computer engineering.

I have had a computer connected to the big wide world in the Middle East, Far East,Near East, Europe and the USA where/when I lived and worked there in the 27 years away from Australia.

Everything still worked - albeit occasionally at a snail's pace - when I returned to Australia.

For example 1.8Mbps ADSL 2+ and an Apple TV download showed up to 150 hour download time - so no movies - but everything still worked.

I saw Telstra NBN as a dream upgrade and in some respects it was - rock steady 48/17 as promised - although 3 times the price I paid in Japan for around 20 Mbps.

The answer to all these issues was never more than an arm's length away.

A new iPhone.

Telstra Smart Modem

Plug in and connect in minutes. Smart.

Find out more
Find out more about the Telstra 24x7 App ×
Manage your services and take advantage of offers while you’re out and about with the Telstra 24x7® App Find out more
Earn points on our new rewards program and enjoy tier benefits like discounted movie tickets and moreFind out more

Need a hand or want to share your expertise?
Register for CrowdSupport and get involved

Register now