CrowdSupport®
Highlighted
grajen67
Level 2: Rookie

Error occurred sending mail

Answered

Hi, up until this morning I could send an receive email without any problem. Now although I can receive email I get an error message when trying to send. The message reads as follows: 

"An error occurred sending mail: The mail server sent an incorrect greeting: nschwcmgw05p Big pond Outbound [OB105. Connection refused. 121.220.209.161 is listed on the Exploits Block List (XBL). please visit http:/www.spamhaus.org/xbl/ for more information"

I went to the website but the info was to geeky for me to follow.

Any suggestions?

I managed to find out that the IP address is Telsta.

Thanks,

Graeme

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Level 23: Superhero
Accepted Solution

Re: Error occurred sending mail

Try switching off your modem/router for 5 mins and then switch back on. This should reset your IP to a new setting instead of

If I have provided an answer, or posed a question that helps or interests you, your KUDOS vote would be appreciated Image and video hosting by TinyPic
If I or anyone has provided a solution, you'll help others if you mark our answer as the Solution The Ghoust Writers: STUDYING ABROAD

NB: I am NOT a Telstra employee, just another customer like you.

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
3 REPLIES 3
Accepted Solution

Try switching off your modem/router for 5 mins and then switch back on. This should reset your IP to a new setting instead of

If I have provided an answer, or posed a question that helps or interests you, your KUDOS vote would be appreciated Image and video hosting by TinyPic
If I or anyone has provided a solution, you'll help others if you mark our answer as the Solution The Ghoust Writers: STUDYING ABROAD

grajen67
Level 2: Rookie

Hi Jeff,

thanks for your reply.

Before seeing your posting I went back to the http://www.spamhaus.org/xbl/ site and did a bit more reading.

I used their method of removing the IP Address from the Exploits Block List (EBL) and the Composite Blocking List (CBL) and waited half an hour as they suggested.

I closed my email program and then reopened it again and was able to send email once again.

Not sure if what I did fixed the problem or it just fixed its self.

What worries me is how the IP address appeared on their database and was identified as appearing to be infected with a spam sending Trogen, Proxy or some other botnet.

I will mark the problem as solved but if it happens again I will certainly try your method first.

Thanks,

Graeme

Mate without being an alarmist, there can be several reasons why this Spamhaus problem arises, BUT it is mainly because somewhere along the line the IP address has been associated with spam emails.

Now don't get me wrong, I'm of course not saying that you might be spamming, but the scammers overseas have such sofisticated gear these days they can hook an IP address and use it.

Just keep an eye out to make sure you don't start getting notes comming into yoru email program saying that email couldn't be delivered.

The turning on and off of the modem/router sets up a new Ip address, so you should do that too, so that you've moved away from the old address.

But glad your back up and running.

Telstra Smart Modem

Plug in and connect in minutes. Smart.

Find out more
Find out more about the Telstra 24x7 App ×
Manage your services and take advantage of offers while you’re out and about with the Telstra 24x7® App Find out more
Earn points on our new rewards program and enjoy tier benefits like discounted movie tickets and moreFind out more

Need a hand or want to share your expertise?
Register for CrowdSupport and get involved

Register now