Highlighted
austoz
Level 3: Gumshoe

Ethernet cable and NBN

Answered

Hello, I am confused about how I am to connect my desktop computer to the NBN. My property has Fibre to the curb and I will be receiving a kit in the coming days. I have a new hybrid Telstra smart modem Gen 2 (currently operating on ADSL but will switch to NBN when required)  I have my desktop computer and the modem in my computer room with a phone jack in the wall but my main phone line is in the kitchen. I understand that my modem will need to be moved to the kitchen so it can be plugged into the kit which will connect to the main line. If the modem is moved to the kitchen how do I plug the LAN cable from the back of the computer into it? Do I need a LAN cable with NBN or will it be a wireless signal and if so how do I make an old desktop computer pick up wireless? Sorry to be dumb but I just don't understand cabling and technology well. What are my options here? Any clarification would be appreciated, thanks.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Level 24: Supreme Being
Accepted Solution

Re: Ethernet cable and NBN

With FTTC NBN Co supply their on modem which connects to phone socket and the Telstra modem's WAN port is connected to the NBN Co's modem using a LAN cable. Other devices connect to the Telstra modem using either WiFi or LAN cable.

If your house wiring has been wired correctly you should be able to use the secondary phone socket near the computer. Your other option is to have house rewired and connect the phone socket in the study directly to street cabling making it the main phone socket..

Another alternative is to buy a USB WiFi adapter for the computer, set up the modem next to main phone socket and connect modem to computer using WiFi.

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
3 REPLIES 3
Accepted Solution

With FTTC NBN Co supply their on modem which connects to phone socket and the Telstra modem's WAN port is connected to the NBN Co's modem using a LAN cable. Other devices connect to the Telstra modem using either WiFi or LAN cable.

If your house wiring has been wired correctly you should be able to use the secondary phone socket near the computer. Your other option is to have house rewired and connect the phone socket in the study directly to street cabling making it the main phone socket..

Another alternative is to buy a USB WiFi adapter for the computer, set up the modem next to main phone socket and connect modem to computer using WiFi.

austoz
Level 3: Gumshoe

Thank you

Level 22: Superhuman

Ethernet aka Network cable is the preferred alternative to WiFi to connect your device (comptuer) to your modem.
Tablets and mobile phones (and some(very thin) laptops do not have an ethernet port (connection) so you have no alternative but to use WiFi for those devices.

In most cases you will attain better internet speeds using an ethernet cable from the modem to your computer.

A "Like" is always appreciated. If my advice is a solution, please mark it. I'm not a Telstra employee.
50 + years exp. in radio comms., eg mobile phones since 1963, two-way radios, base stations, antennas & pagers. My motto: "Doing the right thing is never wrong".

Home Broadband Bundle

$99 Entertainment Bundle. Unlimited Data and Entertainment.

Find out more