RoyLiao
Level 1: Cadet

Exceed data usage charge?

OK. I leave in a share house, and I believe our broadband is ADSL 200GB. I saw the bill from owner last time. In the past few months, we had several months that ran out the data usage. I remember one time the owner was angry and told us Telstra would charge $3000 for 30GB extra data usage after exceeded 200GB limit (In the other words, charge $0.1 per MB). Which is unacceptable, and surely we wouldn't/couldn't pay it. Owner said he will figure it out. I just wonder, does Telstra actually charge 1 dollar per MB for exceeding data limit? Is Telstra lying? or the owner?

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
1 REPLY 1
Level 23: Superhero

Re: Exceed data usage charge?

There are a variety of connection plans available from Telstra.

Some very old plans, and some business plans, charge excess usage fees, however these are the exception rather than the rule.

Most connections simply slow the speed down to 256k when the limit is reached.

Perhaps talk to him about ensuring you are on a plan with shaping rather than excess usage charges.
If you've found a solution then don't forget to mark that post accordingly.
If you think I've been of assistance to you please remember to let me know by clicking on the LIKE button.

Please note: I am not a Telstra employee and any posts or opinions are entirely my own and don't reflect any official company position.

Telstra Smart Modem

Plug in and connect in minutes. Smart.

Find out more
Find out more about the Telstra 24x7 App ×
Manage your services and take advantage of offers while you’re out and about with the Telstra 24x7® App Download now
Earn points on our new rewards program and enjoy tier benefits like discounted movie tickets and moreFind out more

Need a hand or want to share your expertise?
Register for CrowdSupport and get involved

Register now