Kalskustoms
Level 2: Rookie

Exchange

I live at Burrum Heads Queensland, have been here for 8 years, had no problem connecting to ADSL2+ & Phone and was with telstra for 8 years. We sold our house October 2017 and built a new house 5 houses away, and no matter how hard I try I cannot connect to the internet, the first few times I was told there were no available ports, now i'm being told I'm too far away from the exchange, we are under a kilometer away from the exchange, NBN is rolling out but, not for us, I've been told 2019, even though people next door are connected. I am using a mobile internet which is expensive and limited data, can anyone please explain to me Why in this day & age I cannot have broadband?

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
7 REPLIES
Level 21: Augmented

Re: Exchange

Id reconmend raising a complaint for your issue to be looked into. There is a link below in my signature.
I work for Telstra Platinium, Smart Home & Trades Assist as Premium Tech Support.
I'm a Telstra Employee, here in a Personal Capacity. My opinions are my own and not that of Telstra's.
Kalskustoms

withRe: Exchange

I have already done that they are ones that came up with the reply the exchange is too far awaySmiley Happy which is just not true!

TrainDriver

Try turning off and pull out the plug for the Internet for 1 minute the put it on again if not working just try it a couple a times a day hopefully it picks up a line to the exchange
Kalskustoms

thanks but I am trying to have our new home connected, as I don't have anything yet only mobile  but it appears there are no ports or we are too far away from the exchange which we are not)

Level 24: Supreme Being

checking the adsl wholesale reports (https://www.telstrawholesale.com.au/products/broadband/adsl-reports-plans.html) Burrum Heads exchange and 3 out of 4 of the roadside cabinets have 0 available ports. There's no indication of capacity relief planned. (Not surprising condiering the NBN)

the 4th one is located on beach drive however the 16 listed ports may be also be allocated to another RSP or faulty
I am a Premium Services Support Consultant (Telstra Platinum, Telstra Smart Home, and Neto POS). However, I am not an official representative on CrowdSupport.

IT Helpdesk and Technicial Support by Telstra Platinum
Smart Home Automation & Monitoring from Telstra
Run a Modern Retail Business with Neto Point of Sale
Highlighted

I can guarantee that there is no way at all that you are going to get an ADSL service in Burrum Heads as according to NBN Co, it is an NBN Service Available area. So being told that there are no ports and being too far from the exchange is plain wrong.

You can't get a landline internet connection because NBN Co has been and gone in the area and any new houses are going to be stuck waiting for them to come back and finish doing works for houses that hadn't been built at the time that they rolled out the FTTN network.

Your only real option on trying to force the issue is to lodge a complaint at www.tio.com.au against NBN Co and see if they can assist in getting things rolling. Don't hold your breath though.
Never be afraid to back yourself when trying new things, just always make sure you have 3 escape routes if things go wrong.
Kalskustoms

That’s sad but makes more sense than any other excuse I have been given, we have FTTC not FTTN and all the wiring & cabling was done before the house was finished but I will try the TIO. Many thanks

Home Broadband Bundle

$99 Entertainment Bundle. Unlimited Data and Entertainment.

Find out more