CrowdSupport®
Highlighted
sidecar5
Level 1: Cadet

Extend home network (not homegroup) Technicolor TG797n v3 via Access Point

Answered

Hi,

I am not too conversant with tech stuff so please bear with me and accept my misunderstandings.

I have a home network (not homegroup) which workes just fine connecting Desktop_1 and Laptop_1 to share files.

They communicate through my NBN Technicolor TG797n v3 (as TELSTRA BOX) which also allows them to connect to the Internet.

In the dungeon I only have very poor wifi qulity and run a cable (30m) there at times which also works just fine but the cable laying on the floor is a pain.

So, I have set up a http:tp-link TL-WDR3600 as an access point on the end of the cable from the TG797n v3 but although I can successfully access the Internet,, I dont have Network access between the desktop and laptop.

From  what I can find online it appears I have set the WDR3600 as a seperate access rather than as 'extension of' the Telstra NBN Technicolor TG797n v3 (as TELSTRA BOX).

This is what I want to achieve;

TG797n v3 (as TELSTRA BOX). ---------cable--------- Laptop and/or Desktop (for Network and Internet)

|

cable

|

Dungeon ---------cable--------- TL-WDR3600 ---------cable--------- Laptop or

WiFi              Laptop

(for Network and Internet)

Make any sense ??

Cheers, Peter

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)
Accepted Solution

Re: Extend home network (not homegroup) Technicolor TG797n v3 via Access Point

Hi Peter,

Assuming that the 2nd WiFi AP (TL-WDR3600) is acting as a router and giving out it's own IP addresses which will place the laptop on a different subnet (eg 192.168.x.x vs main 10.0.0.x). This can have a negative impact on file sharing, so it should be avoided.

The best suggestion would be to disable the DHCP server on the WDR3600 and connect it to the TG797 modem from the LAN port (not WAN). This should make it act as a tranparent bridge rather than a router and the laptop should get a 10.0.0.x IP from the TG797 which should allow the file sharing.

I hope this helps.

- Shelly

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

All moderation actions are supported by the CrowdSupport Community Guidelines

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
3 REPLIES 3
Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Hi Sidecar5 

So that we can get the best advice for you, I'll be forwarding your concerns to our Social Media Tech team. As this team only work Monday to Friday, you won't receive a response until the new week.

If you do need more urgent assistance, please speak with our 24x7 Tech Support team either by calling 133933 or via Live Chat  http://tel.st/gq6m

Kind Regards 

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)
Accepted Solution

Hi Peter,

Assuming that the 2nd WiFi AP (TL-WDR3600) is acting as a router and giving out it's own IP addresses which will place the laptop on a different subnet (eg 192.168.x.x vs main 10.0.0.x). This can have a negative impact on file sharing, so it should be avoided.

The best suggestion would be to disable the DHCP server on the WDR3600 and connect it to the TG797 modem from the LAN port (not WAN). This should make it act as a tranparent bridge rather than a router and the laptop should get a 10.0.0.x IP from the TG797 which should allow the file sharing.

I hope this helps.

- Shelly

sidecar5
Level 1: Cadet

Yes, that was the solution thanks Shelly. It now works just like I wanted.

Cheers, Peter

Telstra Smart Modem

Plug in and connect in minutes. Smart.

Find out more
Find out more about the Telstra 24x7 App ×
Manage your services and take advantage of offers while you’re out and about with the Telstra 24x7® App Find out more
Earn points on our new rewards program and enjoy tier benefits like discounted movie tickets and moreFind out more

Need a hand or want to share your expertise?
Register for CrowdSupport and get involved

Register now