surfdabbler
Level 2: Rookie

FTP not working, and Telstra won't help

I have set up a new cable modem, and FTP is not working.  I have spoken to several Telstra support people, and they tell me they can't help without charging me $200!  FTP was working fine on my old ADSL modem, but on the new cable modem, the FTP client gets to the PASV command, it hangs and fails.  Here's the log...

Command: TYPE I

Response: 200 Type set to I.

Command: PASV

[ loong delay ]

Error: Connection timed out

Error: Failed to retrieve directory listing

Anyone got any ideas?  Without FTP, cable is useless to me, and I will have to drop back to ADSL, and throw the cable router in the bin.

Interestingly, I also cannot connect to the Telstra support chat on the cable modem.  It just says "Connecting" forever.  I have to drop back to my ADSL network to connect to support!  But apparently as web browsing is working, that's where the Telstra support ends!  I'm pretty peeved - if I wanted broken products with crappy support, I can get my bundle much cheaper than Telstra.

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
1 REPLY 1
surfdabbler
Level 2: Rookie

Re: FTP not working, and Telstra won't help

Final resolution -

After talking with many different support people, Telstra have emphatically stated that they will not help with FTP.  This is apparently outside the scope of their support.  So, warning to any web developers or anyone else needing file transfer access - DO NOT get a Telstra cable connection with the Telstra Gateway Max (C6300BD) modem.  It does not work, and they will not help.  I have switched back to ADSL2+.

Telstra Smart Modem

Plug in and connect in minutes. Smart.

Find out more
Find out more about the Telstra 24x7 App ×
Manage your services and take advantage of offers while you’re out and about with the Telstra 24x7® App Download now
Earn points on our new rewards program and enjoy tier benefits like discounted movie tickets and moreFind out more

Need a hand or want to share your expertise?
Register for CrowdSupport and get involved

Register now