CrowdSupport®
Highlighted
cognitiveant
Level 4: Private Eye

FTTN Coexistence - slower speeds

Hi, I get 18Mbps download and 8Mbps upload on FTTN and approximately 1100m from the node, with no dropouts and house wiring been checked by qualified cabler.

Support advised that my lower speeds are due to FTTN coexistence, that I will have coexistence for the next 18 months and then achieve higher speeds when coexistence is lifted and NBN Co upgrades FTTN users to FTTC or FTTP in the future.

Is 18/8Mbps the normal ratio for coexistence?  or should I expect higher on the NBN 50 tier?

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
3 REPLIES 3
Level 24: Supreme Being

Re: FTTN Coexistence - slower speeds

With FTTN the maximum speed of link depends on distance from the the node and quality of the cable and terminations. 25 Mbps is about the correct speed for a distance of 1100 KM from the Node (See graph below) so there is little chance of getting 50 Mbps. Unfortunately NBN Co only guarantees a minimum speed of 12 Mbps on FTTN during coexistence and 25 Mbps after. If there is no dropouts there is little chance of NBN Co doing anything to increase the speed during the coexistence period.

Image result for vdsl speed vs distance

cognitiveant
Level 4: Private Eye

Shouldn’t my upload speed be lower than 8Mbps then? eg. under 5Mbps, as I am under the 25/5Mbps speed ratio?

25/5 is one of the NBN speed tier and has no relationship to what the maximum speed a link is capable off. The maximum link speed up and down is determined by the physical characteristics of the line. The NBN speed tiers are the speeds the NBN will throttle your connection to depending on which speed tier you are on.

I can’t find any information on the relationship between upload speed versus download speed and upload speed versus distance. I do know from stats that I have seen that there is a relationship between upload speed and download but can vary by a few Mbps per second. For example my speed is 40 down and 12 up but I  have seen others with the same 40 down and 18 up. If your upload speed was higher than or only slightly lower than down load speed that would definitely indicate a fault.

Set it & forget it

With direct debit there’s no need to give paying your bill another thought.

Avoid queuing up and never worry about late fees again.

Setup direct debit