cognitiveant
Level 4: Private Eye

FTTN - Healthy noise margin

Answered

Is this noise margin considered low for FTTN?

Screenshot 2019-07-05 at 8.14.14 am.png

3 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions
Level 25: The Singularity
Accepted Solution

Re: FTTN - Healthy noise margin

Yes, the noise margin is OK, but your Maximum Line Rate for Downloads is low compared to what I'd expect given the Upload Rate.

Do you have more than one phone socket in your house? If you do, get it disconnected and you will probably see an increase in speed.

Never be afraid to back yourself when trying new things, just always make sure you have 3 escape routes if things go wrong.
Accepted Solution

Co-existence shouldn't have much impact (<10%) on your speeds.

Distance is the biggest factor, but your uploads is indicating 7.4Mbps, I would have expected your download rate to be closer to 25Mbps based on that.

I'm over 1250m from the Node and get almost 30Mbps with an Upload similar to yours.

Never be afraid to back yourself when trying new things, just always make sure you have 3 escape routes if things go wrong.
Level 24: Supreme Being
Accepted Solution

Even though you are 1100 Meyers from the node the actual cable distance might be much greater.
Do you have any other problems besides low speed like intermittent drop outs. Looking at your attenuation figures the high frequency attenuation is same as mine but the low frequency attenuation is much higher, this would indicate there might be a high resistive joint. My download is 40 Mbps and upload is 12

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
5 REPLIES 5
Accepted Solution

Yes, the noise margin is OK, but your Maximum Line Rate for Downloads is low compared to what I'd expect given the Upload Rate.

Do you have more than one phone socket in your house? If you do, get it disconnected and you will probably see an increase in speed.

cognitiveant

Thank you for your reply,

No, I have had the phone line isolated to one socket by a qualified technician. I have tried other modems as well and all are the same stats.

Do you think that co-existence would have an impact on that? or distance from the node as i am 1100 meters?

Accepted Solution

Co-existence shouldn't have much impact (<10%) on your speeds.

Distance is the biggest factor, but your uploads is indicating 7.4Mbps, I would have expected your download rate to be closer to 25Mbps based on that.

I'm over 1250m from the Node and get almost 30Mbps with an Upload similar to yours.

Accepted Solution

Even though you are 1100 Meyers from the node the actual cable distance might be much greater.
Do you have any other problems besides low speed like intermittent drop outs. Looking at your attenuation figures the high frequency attenuation is same as mine but the low frequency attenuation is much higher, this would indicate there might be a high resistive joint. My download is 40 Mbps and upload is 12
Highlighted
cognitiveant

I have had the distance confirmed, so it's between 1100 to 1200 Meters.  The estate where we are is also post 2000's.

I have had no dropouts, it seems stable in that aspect.

Technician I hired did mention that there may be joint issues in the pits to the node, as we tested this with equipment he had. But from house to first and second pit the quality seemed great.

We could not understand why we did not see any improvements in speeds when we changed the phone line to single point with new wall sockets, etc.  This stayed the same.

Telstra Smart Modem

Plug in and connect in minutes. Smart.

Find out more
Find out more about the Telstra 24x7 App ×
Manage your services and take advantage of offers while you’re out and about with the Telstra 24x7® App Download now
Earn points on our new rewards program and enjoy tier benefits like discounted movie tickets and moreFind out more

Need a hand or want to share your expertise?
Register for CrowdSupport and get involved

Register now