CrowdSupport®
mknibb
Level 1: Cadet

FTTN - High Line Attenuation

I am thinking i have a bad line with the line attenuation so high, but would like other opinions before i lodge a fault.

Cable length is approx 700m from the node.

DSL Type
VDSL2
DSL Mode
Fast
Maximum Line rate
10.61 Mbps 43.29 Mbps
Line Rate
10.61 Mbps 41.69 Mbps
Data Transferred
38.08 MBytes 407.77 MBytes
Output Power
6.3 dBm 14.5 dBm
Line Attenuation
9.2, 45.8,N/A dB 21.1, 57.3, 86.3 dB
Noise Margin
6.5 dB 6.6 dB

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
5 REPLIES 5
Level 21: Augmented

Re: FTTN - High Line Attenuation

Your speeds looks good for the distance - don't expect much more - but the attenuation looks bit higher (BTW, do you understand what the difference between the three numbers 21.1, 57.3, 86.3 dB is?)... Do you suffer drop outs?

DISCLAIMER: I do not work for Telstra or any other ISP. I never did. I have wealth of practical knowledge in Computer Security and Forensic Computing. I have been in the field since 1985.

Likes (formerly Kudos) and solutions are appreciated!!!
The comments expressed by me reflect my user experience and personal opinion.
Level 24: Supreme Being

I am about 700 Meters from Node and have almost the same attenuation. The Node is 200 Meters in a direct line but the Pillar I am connected to is in the opposite direction. Total cable distance is about 700 Meters.

Smart_Modem_DSL_Link_Status_48Mbps.jpgDSL link 49 Mbps

mknibb

I do not understand the difference between the three numbers, other then the higher the number means more noise on the line. I honestly thought with that number being so high i would have a lot of dropouts, but i have one drop out every 2-3 months.

Thanks for the reply ForensicsGuru.

Highlighted
mknibb

Thanks cf4 for sharing your similar stats.

The numbers represent the attenuation of the line. There are three because the attenuation varies with frequency. The figure on the left is for low frequencies, the middle figure is for mid frequencies and the figure on the right is for the higher frequencies.

The amount of attenuation reduces the level of the received signal so it is lower compared to background noise. As the cable length increases the attenuation increases, but because attenuation at the higher frequency is greater the higher frequencies can not be used for data transmission and also frequencies can not transmit as much data resulting in the speed decreasing as the cable distance increases.

Faulty terminations, or equipment causes dropouts.

Telstra Smart Modem

Plug in and connect in minutes. Smart.

Find out more
Find out more about the Telstra 24x7 App ×
Manage your services and take advantage of offers while you’re out and about with the Telstra 24x7® App Find out more
Earn points on our new rewards program and enjoy tier benefits like discounted movie tickets and moreFind out more

Need a hand or want to share your expertise?
Register for CrowdSupport and get involved

Register now