CrowdSupport®
Highlighted
pemang
Level 1: Cadet

FTTP Telstra Velocity

Answered

Hi,

Currently connected to Telstra Velocity on 100 / 5 Mbps plan. The plan speed no longer appears on bills etc, but i'll assume for now that it hasn't changed at all. (Speed tests reveal that this is still the case)

Is it possible to get plans that include a higher upload rate?

5Mbps just isn't enough for my requirements as i frequently work from home with video conferencing equipment. As well as upload large design documents for clients.

The upload speed is the limiting factor, is there anyway to increase this on a normal home Velocity plan? Thanks.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Level 25: The Singularity
Accepted Solution

Re: FTTP Telstra Velocity

None of the 3 options you listed are possible.

Option 4: Wait for NBN to roll out

This one is possible, but it's not a given that they will take it over either. Most areas they have, but they are tricky implementations for them, so they typically leave them until they have rolled out surrounding areas.
Never be afraid to back yourself when trying new things, just always make sure you have 3 escape routes if things go wrong.

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
7 REPLIES 7
Level 22: Superhuman

As far as I'm aware there isn't a higher upload speed for velocity.
For Official Support start a Secure Chat , try the Online Troubleshooter, Outage Check or Complaint.

Full Disclosure as part of Telstras Social Media Code.

pemang

So the only way to go beyond 5Mbps is to jump on a business plan? Smiley Sad
Level 24: Supreme Being
Level 24: Supreme Being

Pretty certain velocity is a purely residential product, like Telstra's HFC. Which means there no plans that give you increased uploads
I am a Premium Services Support Consultant (Telstra Platinum, Telstra Smart Home, Locator/Device Locator and Neto POS). However, I am not an official representative on CrowdSupport.

IT Helpdesk and Technicial Support by Telstra Platinum
Smart Home Automation & Monitoring from Telstra
Helping Australians Find the Things that Matter Most with Telstra Locator
Run a Modern Retail Business with Neto Point of Sale
pemang

Thanks for the replies,

So my options are:
1. Upgrade to to business plan for higher upload speeds
2. Potentially move to another provider (prefer not) - which are likely to be limited to the same upload speeds anyway considering they leverage off telstra backhaul for south brisbane exchange.
3. petition for a fibre plan overhaul? Smiley Tongue

It seems strange we have FTTP and arent able to fully utilise the technology. Surely the backhaul at the exchange can take on more bandwidth and will allow for better plans or upload speeds. 5Mbps is frustratingly slow.

As @yastiandie has mentioned, Velocity is only a consumer service, there aren't any business plans available to my knowledge as well. I'm not sure other providers can use the velocity network as its owned by Telstra, would probably have the same restrictions. Don't think you can do that, would be dependent if NBN takes over the fibre.
For Official Support start a Secure Chat , try the Online Troubleshooter, Outage Check or Complaint.

Full Disclosure as part of Telstras Social Media Code.

Accepted Solution

None of the 3 options you listed are possible.

Option 4: Wait for NBN to roll out

This one is possible, but it's not a given that they will take it over either. Most areas they have, but they are tricky implementations for them, so they typically leave them until they have rolled out surrounding areas.
Never be afraid to back yourself when trying new things, just always make sure you have 3 escape routes if things go wrong.
awulf
Level 4: Private Eye

It doesn't look like NBN will be rolled out in Telstra Velocity areas as NBN sees the areas as "Adequately Served" and its doubtful that Telstra will let go of their monopoly market in these areas without a very lucrative offer. (There are currently no resellers on the Velocity network). Apparently the best way forward is to file a complaint, if enough complaints are submitted through the complaints form they'll take it seriously and may fix it. https://say.telstra.com.au/customer/general/forms/Email-Complaint.

Telstra Smart Modem

Plug in and connect in minutes. Smart.

Find out more
Find out more about the Telstra 24x7 App ×
Manage your services and take advantage of offers while you’re out and about with the Telstra 24x7® App Find out more
Earn points on our new rewards program and enjoy tier benefits like discounted movie tickets and moreFind out more

Need a hand or want to share your expertise?
Register for CrowdSupport and get involved

Register now