CrowdSupport®
Level 3: Gumshoe

Fitzgibbon Chase - Switched from Smart Velocity to NBN Issues

I recently switched from Telstra Smart Velocity to Telstra NBN as the Smart Velocity will cease on Nov 2016.

Boy, was that the biggest mistake I have ever made. 

My house is smart wired, with patch panel in the garage and lounge room.  Anyway, to cut the long story short,  I am currently waiting for Telstra Complaints rep to get back to me as the NBN Co Consultant advised that they do not relocate the NBN Connection Box for new estate areas, which I fully understand.  I simply need a new modem that is able to pick up the WAN link light, which the new Telstra T-Gateway modem is not able to.

Below is what I have sent back to Telstra Complaints rep.

</br>

Before rolling over to NBN, my Telstra Smart Velocity is set up like this:

• My house (built in April 2015) has a patch panel (phone, ethernet connection, TV) installed on the garage wall with internal wiring (Ethernet CAT6 cabling) connecting to the Lounge room 4-port patch panel.
  • The NBN Connection box was installed in the garage and connected to the patch panel on the garage wall.
  • The Telstra Smart Velocity supplied Netgear Modem was connected to the 4-port patch panel in the Lounge room.
  • The Netgear modem had three network cables that were connected from the modem to the other 3 ports on the 4-port patch panel.
  • Each port were connected to 3 different areas of the house including study room, master bedroom and family room.
  • The WAN link on the Netgear modem were always active and allows internet access.
  • The Netgear modem does from time to time required a reboot as it was almost end of life (since 2010) as I had used this modem from my previous house which was also in the Fitzgibbon Chase estate and also Telstra Smart Velocity area.

As per the above set up, I had no issues with the internet and were able to receive 100% wireless coverage throughout my house.

Since rolling over to Telstra NBN, the setup is identical to the Telstra Smart Velocity:

• The NBN Connection Box is installed next to the Telstra Smart Velocity NBN box, as per the photo I sent to you before.
  • The NBN Connection Box is connected to the patch panel on the garage wall.
  • The Telstra T-Gateway modem is connected to the same port on the patch panel in the lounge room.

As per the above set up, I was not able to get the WAN link light turn on at all with the Telstra supplied T-Gateway modem.  No matter how many times I have rebooted, the WAN link did not turn on.

The troubleshooting I have tried are as followed:

• I tried two different long cables (10 metres and 15 metres) plugging from the NBN connection box into the lounge room, both did not allow me to get a WAN link light on. 

• I plugged both network cables into my old Telstra Smart Velocity supplied Netgear modem and I was able to get the WAN light on.

• I plugged the Netgear modem into the port of the patch panel in the lounge room and I was able to get the WAN light on, therefore there are no issues with the internal cabling/wiring.

• Plugging the Telstra T-Gateway still did not get a WAN light to turn on.  Without the WAN light turning on, I am unable to get the internet working.

The only way I can get the internet working right now is per the following setup:

• Telstra T-Gateway modem is connected directly into the NBN Connection Box with the supplied network cable. 
  • The modem is then connected to the patch panel via one network cable. 
  • In the lounge room, only one 1 metre network cable is connected from the garage connection and into the study room.

With the above setup, I could only get the study room computer connected to the internet via Ethernet connection.  Both the master bedroom and Family room does not have internet connection. 

Also, because the Telstra T-Gateway modem is in the garage, only half the house are able to pick up the wireless connection.  The other half of the house I have to rely on my mobile data to connect to the Internet. 

</br>

While I am waiting for the Telstra complaints rep to get back to me, I was hoping someone can let me know what I should do or request anything from Telstra to ensure I get 100% full service on what I pay for.  My only option is a different brand modem, which I hope I do not need to fork out extra money for.

Thanks,

Rox

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
20 REPLIES 20
Highlighted
Level 2: Rookie

Re: Fitzgibbon Chase - Switched from Smart Velocity to NBN Issues

Hi Rox,

I am also in Fitzgibbon Chase, but havn't had any communication about Velocity disconnecting until a random text a few mins ago about our "service" scheduled to be disconnected soon.

Did Telstra fix your problem above?

Do you happen to know what will happen to Free-to-air tv now, seeing it is delivered over the fibre? Does yours still work?

Thanks.

Cheers,
Dan

Highlighted

Hi Dan,

My issue is still ongoing.  Telstra will be sending me a replacement modem arriving this Wednesday, but I have a strong feeling it will not make any difference as this particular brand and modem is weak when picking up the WAN signal from a fair distance away from the NBN box in the garage.

As for the free-to-air tv, it will still be connected to your existing Telstra Smart Velocity nbn box and yes, it still works.

Hope that helps.

Rox

Highlighted

It would be great if someone can let me know if they also experienced the same issue with your Technicolour TG797n not able to pick up WAN signal due to distance. 

It's approximately 9-10 metres away from the garage to the lounge room.

I hope a new brand and model modem will resolve this, but without incurring any expenses from my pocket.

Rox

Highlighted
Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Hey @RoxW,

Can I clarify some of the points you outlined here?

Before changing over to NBN, how was your Velocity service connected to the Hub in your garage?

The way I am understanding your set up before changing over to NBN:

Line to house into garage > connected to Velocity NTD > connected to hub in garage > internal cabling to lounge > connected to modem > ect.

The way your service should now be connected:

Live to house into garage > connected to NBN Co NTD > connected to hub in garage > nothing else should change.

The only change should be instead of your hub connecting to Telstra's NTD, it should connect to NBN Co's NTD. no other cabling should change.

Are you able to post the photo that you sent to the complaint team?

- Matt

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

All moderation actions are supported by the CrowdSupport Community Guidelines

Highlighted

Hi Matt,

As requested, below is a picture of my garage. 

As you can see, the top left is the Telstra Smart Velocity NTD box and the TV is currently connected to it.

The NBN co box is on the top right side and the Telstra NBN wireless modem is connected directly into it.

2016-05-13 22.44.24.jpg

As for the lounge room, this is where the patch panel is located and where my previous Telstra Smart Velocity wireless modem was situated and working perfectly.  If the Technicolour TG797n wireless modem is plugged in the patch panel (upper left port), the WAN light does not get turned on.  But if I plugged in the Telstra Smart Velocity Netgear Modem, the WAN light is turned on.

2016-05-13 22.46.57.jpg

Hope you could help me.  I am sure that the replacement will not resolve this, but would like to give it a go in case it is an issue with the modem.

Appreciate your help.

Thanks,

Rox

Highlighted
Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Hey @RoxW,

Thanks heaps for the photos.

Currently, it looks like the following is happening (ignoring what's not important at the moment).

1. White cable connected from NBN Co NTD to Modem

2. Blue Cable from Modem to panel on wall in garage.

3 Panel in lounge has a blue cable also (not clear where this goes)

Can I get you to connect your cables in the following way.

1. White cable connected from NBN Co NTD to panel on wall in garage.

2. Move the modem to the lounge and connect relevant cable from panel in the lounge to WAN port of the modem.

Let me know if this configuration provides a connection.

- Matt

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

Highlighted

Hi Matt,

I have received the new replacement modem today and plugged into the lounge room panel.  After 5 minutes wait, it makes no difference and I am still not able to get the WAN light turned on. Below is the screenshot of the new modem.

2016-06-29 20.10.55.jpg

When I tried to plugg in my old Telstra Smart Velocity modem (Netgear EVG2000) into the lounge room, the WAN light came on after 30 seconds wait. 

I configured the Netgear modem and removed the previous credentials and turned off PPPOE.  Restarted the modem, the WAN and Internet light came on.  I was able to connect to the internet without any hassles. 

2016-06-29 20.16.19.jpg

Therefore, I am 100% sure that the Technicolour TG797n NBN wireless modem is not able to pick up the WAN signal based on the distance from the Lounge room to Garage.

Could you please advise if there is another brand and model that Telstra supplies instead of this one?  The Netgear EVG2000 modem is an old modem and from time to time, I need to restart this modem as it seems to time out or no data flow.  Therefore, a new modem would be preferrable.  Otherwise, am I able to get a refund for this modem and purchase one myself?  Please advise.

Thank you so much for your help.

Cheers,

Rox

Highlighted
Support Team
Support Team

Hi Rox,

Distance should not make a difference at all for your WAN connection to complete provided the internal wiring is OK and everything is setup correctly and all relevant orders on our end are complete. I recommend contacting NBN assurance directly as they will be able to provide more in depth information and if required send a field tech to assist. They can be contacted on 1800 834 273. Thanks, -Chris

Highlighted

Hi Chris,

I tried two different long cables (10 metres and 15 metres) plugging from the NBN connection box into the Technicolour modem in the lounge room, both cables did not allow me to get a WAN link light on.  Tried on the replacement modem as well.  However, when I ttested with the Netgear EVG2000 modem (from Telstra Smart Velocity), no issues at all.

Therefore, this particular modem seems to be weak picking up the WAN signal. 

Rox

Highlighted
Support Team
Support Team

Hi Rox,

I strongly recommend speaking with our Velocity tech team on 1800 834 273 to have this further investigated as there is no reason the service should not be working and as previously mentioned the length of cable should make no difference unless the new modem is faulty or there is a cabling issue. If this cannot be resolved over the phone we can send a field technician to investigate further.

Highlighted

Hi Chris,

I will give them a call tomorrow as I am unable to dial out at the moment as there is no ring tone on my home phone while the Netgear evg #2000 modem is connected in the lounge. 

However, like I said, both Technicolor modems (TG797n), one in May and one on Thursday (29th June) are not able to pick up the WAN signals unless directly connected to the NBN Co Connection box.  Whereas the Netgear EVG2000 modem has no issues picking up the WAN signal both directly connecting to the NBN Co Connection box in the garage and in the lounge room via internal wiring and also via a long 15 metres (cat5)  cable.  I am sure if you tried this set up at work (or get a field technician to test it) you may experience the same issue.  By doing so, you will eliminate the problem from my end.

I doubt this issue will go away and go into loops as I have spent countless of my time contacting Telstra previously only for the phone call to be dropped and never called back even though I have provided my mobile phone number.

Another issue is, if I intend to buy or reuse the Netgear EVG2000 modem in the lounge room, is it possiblve if I could connect the phone line plugged from UNI-V 1 port from NBN Co NBN box to the patch panel so it goes via the internal wiring to where my home phone is connected to (dining area).  Whereas before, the phone line connects directly from the NBN box (Telstra smart velocity) directly into the patch panel to the dining area where the cordless phone is.  But now it needs to be connected directly into the Technicolor modem for it to get dial tone.

Thanks for your help.

Rox

Highlighted

Great, thanks that does help. I assume Foxtel will continue to work fine then too, if FTA does.

I hope you got your problem sorted eventually, although sounds like the replacement router didnt work Smiley Sad

Did u have any additional charges when migrating to the NBN? Specifically the $300 nbn new developent charge? And did u have to go on a new contract?

Thanks for ur help.

Highlighted

Hi,

I tried different branded modems and it worked without an issue. It's mainly to do with the Technicolour brand as I assume it's not as strong. As of last Wednesday, I have had my internet disconnected while trying to get my phone swapped from VoIP to Ippots, so that I can use a wireless router to be connected directly into the NBN box without using the supplied technicolour modem. Had a telstra technician who came onsite to switch the phone over and he said the internet worked and left. Unfortunately, I wasn't at home and my wife was at home. Came home and found no data flow even though the modem was all green. Even tried plugging a network cable from laptop into the NBN box, but still no internet. Spoke to a consultant tonight and was told that both my internet and phone order has been disconnected. Sigh. So far no luck with Telstra and NBN. As for the $300 fee, I did not have to pay this at all. I am paying $100 a month on 100mbps plan with 1 tera byte of data. All I need is my internet to be activated again along with being able to receive and make home phone calls. Smiley Sad
Highlighted

Oh no! Sounds incredibly frustrating. I hope they can get it sorted!

What a nightmare.

Cool, glad to know u didnt get charged 300. I rang them today and started the process. My garage wiring setup looks similar to yours so will see if I have the same problems that you're going through.

Cheers.

Highlighted

I could tell you my issue is not yet resolved.

Number of calls, followups, speaking to numerous case managers, consultants without avail.  I have spent too much time on the phones. I have to admit I am really fed up with the service I have been receiving since last Wednesday, 24th Aug.   

The order has been going into provisioning failed.  The consultants I spoke to cancelled the order and had to re-create (many times) without success.  There are no accountabilities from the complaints department.  The number of promises thy have made about giving me a callback in 2-3 days, but none did.  I have to chase up.  Each time I rang, it's someone different and they will tell you they work in different call centres and they have a different manager.  Promises after promises.  I am really fed up with this!

Highlighted
Support Team
Support Team

Hi RoxW,

Did you end up contacting support as recommended earlier in the thread? What has been advised?

Highlighted

Hi Renee,

I have confirmed that it's the TechColour branded modems that was not able to pick up the WAN signal via the internal wirings.  I have tested with 3 other branded modems Netgear, Netcomm and ASUS and they were all able to pick up the WAN signal instantly allowing me to browse the internet without any issues.  

The issue now is that my NBN has been disconnected since 24th August because I decided to use a byo branded modem and the home phone line changed from next generation to IPPOTs.

So far my Internet service is still disconnected.  I have someone looking into this issue and hopefully by tomorrow, after 5 days wait due to a new order (probably 3rd or 4th order now since the Internet got disconnected), the service will be back up and running.

I will keep you all posted.

Rox

Highlighted
Support Team
Support Team

Thanks for the update Rox, I really do appreciate your updates. We're listening intently.

Highlighted

No worries Renee.

Just an update.  As of this morning, my NBN is still not working.  

Spoke to Matt from Telstra yesterday morning, it's pending on my existing phone order to be cancelled. Once that gets cancelled, a new order will be processed and as of yesterday after 4pm, I received at least 6 emails from Telstra that a new order including NBN plans, etc....  

However, after checking the status of the order, it looks like my NBN won't be active until 12th September as it requires a technician to come onsite again... ???  Even thought my home phone services is now on IPPOTs.

Also, adding further to the issue, I continously get calls from randomTelstra Case Managers with different case IDs and I am worried that they might mess up the orders and further delay my NBN from working.

Thanks,

Rox

Highlighted

Just an update.

After receiving a number of Telstra email notifications today, my nbn service is finally now working. However, it is slower than I what I had before my NBN was disconnected around 20mbps on speedtest instead of the usually 90++mbps i normally get.

Also, my home phone service is working on IPPOTS...but I have been given a completely new number.  Smiley Sad

TBC...

Set it & forget it

With direct debit there’s no need to give paying your bill another thought.

Avoid queuing up and never worry about late fees again.

Setup direct debit