CrowdSupport®
Arkm
Level 1: Cadet

Fixed wireless maximum upload speed ??

So Im an online streamer and I was having poor quality streams because I was on the fixed wireless 5/25 plan, need better up speed so I goes to the Telstra store and they offer a 15/40 plan for $10 less than what Im paying for the 5/25 .. easy .. I looked at the 40/100 plan and the girl says its only for fiber cable and the wireless system can only do 15 upload. Later Telstra comes back saying Im not getting what I paid for the 20/50 .. I thought I bought the 15/40 thats odd .. and they asked do I want to roll back ?? So I check my speeds .. I was gettn 45 mbps download sweat cant complain about that, but the upload wont go over 12 ?? thats odd for our area I thought .. Id bet my left hand almost no one would be uploading on a big scale here so whats going down with the up ?? Im paying for 20 I guess and Im gettn 12 better than 5 so I aint that unhappy .. But whats with the big upload chock it doesnt add up .. So Im thinking the uploads capped at 15 and thats why they asked if I wanted to change .. So the question is what is the maximum upload speed for fixed wireless really ?? And isnt that false advertisement ??

I aint complaining cause Im gettn faster up n down for $10 less than that I paid for the 5/25 .. its just weird

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
2 REPLIES 2
Level 24: Supreme Being
Level 24: Supreme Being

Re: Fixed wireless maximum upload speed ??

"Im not getting what I paid for the 20/50 .. I thought I bought the 15/40 thats odd "

NBN offer four different speeds to RSPs

12/1

25/5

50/20

100/40

These are the maximum speeds of the NBN link but due to limitation of the FTTN HFC and fixed wireless technology the speed of the link was in somcases much lower than these maximum speeds. RSP used to quote up to these maximum speeds when selling NBN to customers. Due to a lot of complaints from customers RSPs were forced to quote minimum speeds instead of maximum speed. That is why the Telstra store quoted 40/15 instead of 50/20.

Most customers need a fast download speed instead of a fast upload speed so in designing the system emphasis was placed on the download speed.

"So the question is what is the maximum upload speed for fixed wireless really ?? And isnt that false advertisement ??"

The maximum upload speed of a Fixed Wireless NBN link is 20 Mb/s but could be less than this due to the distance from the tower. Similarly the distance and quality of the cable effects the maximum download and upload speed of FTTN link. The maximum is 100/40 but because of there distance from the node some people only get a maximum of 12/1

Arkm
Level 1: Cadet

Re: Fixed wireless maximum upload speed ??

We are about 300 mtrs Direct line of sight of the tower with nothing between us n the tower .. I wouldnt have thought a drop of 8 mbps upload would be likely in our area considering we only get a 5 to 10 drop on download in peek times and the node well I dont believe there is any copper between us and the local exchange. Though we are getting abit more jitter in my last testing

Telstra Smart Modem

Plug in and connect in minutes. Smart.

Find out more
Find out more about the Telstra 24x7 App ×
Manage your services and take advantage of offers while you’re out and about with the Telstra 24x7® App Find out more
Earn points on our new rewards program and enjoy tier benefits like discounted movie tickets and moreFind out more

Need a hand or want to share your expertise?
Register for CrowdSupport and get involved

Register now