CrowdSupport®
John204
Level 2: Rookie

Fluctuant download speed and packet loss after 7~8pm (Cable)

Answered

Hello, in the recent weeks the download and upload speed of my internet has fluctuated a lot after 7 pm (this lasts beyond 2 am). The usual download speed of my network is 100 mbps with 5 mbps upload but this drops significantly to below 20 mbps (download) and 2 mbps (upload). Upon dropping to this speed, it would fluctuate to below 5 mbps (download) along with constant packet loss (making online gaming near impossible).

What I think caused this:

Congestion (is there a method to verify this?)

Telstra, renaming my plan (Although they said that speed, ect wouldn't be affected)

Thing's I've attempted:

Restarting modem

Factory resetting modem

Using the Telstra troubleshooting tool to run a line quality test. (Everything was fine)

Contacting Telstra support (They only told me to restart my modem...)

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions
Level 24: Supreme Being
Accepted Solution

Re: Fluctuant download speed and packet loss after 7~8pm (Cable)

I miss read the IP address on your image the correct IP address is 58.160.251.129 which has 19% packet loss. This is far to high for normal internet use. This would indicate a fault between the modem and Telstra's Gateway. I incorrectly assumed you were on NBN but judging by your maximum upload speed of 5 Mbps and after re reading your first post you are on Telstra cable. This would indicate a fault on the Telstra cable.

I don't know how you can convince Telstra that there is fault apart from telling them you are getting 19% packet loss. If they don't send a Tech to investigate raise a complaint. Link below shows how to raise a complaint with Telstra.

https://www.telstra.com.au/support/category/account-billing/manage-account/our-complaints-handling-p...

Another indication that there is a fault on the cable would be the line stats in the modem. The line stats are located here

On a Cable Home Network Gateway
(CG3100D):
http://192.168.0.1/ > Connection (Under Maintenance)

On a Cable Gateway Max

(C6300BD):
http://192.168.0.1/ > Advanced > Broadband Connection > Connection Settings

If using a Cable Adapter + Gateway
(CM450. Might need to plug directly into the adapter with Ethernet):
http://192.168.100.1/ > Broadband Connection > Connection Settings

Default Username/password: admin/password

You're looking for Frequencies, Power Levels, SNR, etc

View solution in original post

John204
Accepted Solution

Contacted Telstra again today and they said that everything is fine including the downstream channels although I cannot bond to 3 of the 16 downstream channels (no matter how many times I factory reset or restart my modem) as well as the fact that I have a download speed of 5 mbps that occasionally spikes to 100 mbps. They also said that they made some "fixes" that would fix the packet loss but it only resulted in a hell of a lot of packet loss, literally 10x worse and occurs throughout the day.

Untitled.png

I made a complaint and if they don't fix it, I'm done with Telstra.

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
12 REPLIES 12
Level 25: The Singularity
Level 25: The Singularity

It's most likely congestion, given that pattern.

You'll need to report it via 1800 834 273 or Livechat.

Never be afraid to back yourself when trying new things, just always make sure you have 3 escape routes if things go wrong.

You could determine wether the packet loss is due to network congestion by installing ping plotter on a PC and running a test. Ping plotter will indicate which hops or hops the packet loss is occurring. You can then determine wether it is occurring in the local network (First hop 192.168.0.1), NBN network (Second Hop), Telstra Network (Next few hops) or the Global Network

John204

I ran two tests to two different servers prior to when I experience severe packet lost for comparison later. I will post another two tests during the period I experience severe packet loss later today.

To pingplotter.com:

Untitled.png

To google.com:

Untitled2.png

The packet loss on your link even during the day is way to high. Doing the same plot test to www.pingplotter.com I have zero packet loss. I can't really say what is causing the packet loss as it occurring on all the hops except the first hop which is your local network.

If you were to do a ping plot to 56.160.251.129 and still get packet loss it would indicate a problem with the NBN link. Ignore any hop with no IP address. While running the test don't perform any task on the computer running the test that will put a strain on the the computer such as playing a game.

John204

I did a ping plot to 58.160.251.129 and received 19% packet loss, while 56.160.251.129 gave 100% packet loss. What should I do after identifying that its a problem with the NBN link?

Accepted Solution

I miss read the IP address on your image the correct IP address is 58.160.251.129 which has 19% packet loss. This is far to high for normal internet use. This would indicate a fault between the modem and Telstra's Gateway. I incorrectly assumed you were on NBN but judging by your maximum upload speed of 5 Mbps and after re reading your first post you are on Telstra cable. This would indicate a fault on the Telstra cable.

I don't know how you can convince Telstra that there is fault apart from telling them you are getting 19% packet loss. If they don't send a Tech to investigate raise a complaint. Link below shows how to raise a complaint with Telstra.

https://www.telstra.com.au/support/category/account-billing/manage-account/our-complaints-handling-p...

Another indication that there is a fault on the cable would be the line stats in the modem. The line stats are located here

On a Cable Home Network Gateway
(CG3100D):
http://192.168.0.1/ > Connection (Under Maintenance)

On a Cable Gateway Max

(C6300BD):
http://192.168.0.1/ > Advanced > Broadband Connection > Connection Settings

If using a Cable Adapter + Gateway
(CM450. Might need to plug directly into the adapter with Ethernet):
http://192.168.100.1/ > Broadband Connection > Connection Settings

Default Username/password: admin/password

You're looking for Frequencies, Power Levels, SNR, etc

John204

Telstra support had refreshed the line and it appears to have resolved the issue. However, I'm currently still unsure whether the issue would arise again.

Highlighted

Glad to hear your problem might have been fixed. If problem occurrs again don't hesitate to call Telstra support.

John204

Refreshing the line had only temporarily resolved the issue but it had arise again. I went and looked at the downstream channels that you referred to previously, but I'm unsure whether channel 13 (in the image below) shows that the channel is failing.Untitled.png

This is what a healthy cable connection looks like. Yours does not look right especially channel 13

Downstream between -15 to +15dBmV is good.
Closer to 0.0dBmV the better.

Upstream between +40dBmV to 54dBmV is good.
Closer to 40dBmV the better.

SNR +38dB and above is good.
40+dB the better.

https://forums.whirlpool.net.au/archive/2504710

Connection Settings
Startup Procedure
ProcedureStatusComment
Acquire Downstream Channel438000000 HzLocked
Connectivity StateOKOperational
Boot StateOKOperational
Configuration FileOKcable_u1_tr2_netgear_docsis3
SecurityEnabledBPI+

Downstream Bonded Channels
Lock StatusModulationChannel IDSymbol Rate (sym/sec)Frequency (Hz)Power (dBmV)SNR (dBmV)DOCSIS Locked
LockedQAM25696952000 sym/sec438000000 Hz0.6 dBmV40.3 dBEuroDOCSIS
LockedQAM256106952000 sym/sec446000000 Hz0.8 dBmV40.4 dBEuroDOCSIS
LockedQAM256116952000 sym/sec454000000 Hz1.2 dBmV40.8 dBEuroDOCSIS
LockedQAM256126952000 sym/sec462000000 Hz1.8 dBmV40.9 dBEuroDOCSIS
LockedQAM256136952000 sym/sec470000000 Hz1.9 dBmV40.9 dBEuroDOCSIS
LockedQAM256146952000 sym/sec478000000 Hz1.3 dBmV40.8 dBEuroDOCSIS
LockedQAM256156952000 sym/sec486000000 Hz0.7 dBmV40.3 dBEuroDOCSIS
LockedQAM256166952000 sym/sec494000000 Hz0.4 dBmV39.9 dBEuroDOCSIS

Upstream Bonded Channels
Lock StatusModulationChannel IDSymbol Rate (Ksym/sec)Frequency (Hz)Power (dBmV)
LockedATDMA295120 Ksym/sec42600000 Hz38.3 dBmV
Not LockedUnknown00 Ksym/sec0 Hz0.0 dBmV

John204
Accepted Solution

Contacted Telstra again today and they said that everything is fine including the downstream channels although I cannot bond to 3 of the 16 downstream channels (no matter how many times I factory reset or restart my modem) as well as the fact that I have a download speed of 5 mbps that occasionally spikes to 100 mbps. They also said that they made some "fixes" that would fix the packet loss but it only resulted in a hell of a lot of packet loss, literally 10x worse and occurs throughout the day.

Untitled.png

I made a complaint and if they don't fix it, I'm done with Telstra.

Have you lodged a complaint? If you haven't lodge a complaint. If you have already lodged a complaint with Telstra and they are unwilling to send a Technician lodge one with the TIO. It looks like initial fault is gradually getting worse.

Set it & forget it

With direct debit there’s no need to give paying your bill another thought.

Avoid queuing up and never worry about late fees again.

Setup direct debit
Find out more about direct debit and the Telstra 24x7 App ×

Avoid queueing up and never worry about late fees againSet up direct debit
Manage your services and take advantage of offers while you’re out and about with the Telstra 24x7® App Find out more

Need a hand or want to share your expertise?
Register for CrowdSupport and get involved

Register now